Where did we go wrong?

I’m really not sure what you expected. Do you not realize it was rude of you to interject into a conversation with nothing to add, only to scold others?

That’s because there were not many options in classic, and it’s more rare to get an upgrade, so that’s why you remember it. I played all of Vanilla, and had good memories of the game, but I played it once and don’t miss it one bit.

Retail largely does not have unique names for unique pieces of gear, which is why players are unlikely to focus on the name. I think you would find that players who care about their gear could tell you the ilevel, which secondary stats, and what corruption on it though, which collectively are the retail “name” of gear.

Hiring a certain lead developer

I remember more of the people I was with and the things I did with gear, than what that gear was called: LK kill, epic Mal’ganis bug in Culling that chased us all the way to the beginning (somehow became immune), FINALLY getting Less-rabi achievement, (some time delay…) Azshara and N’Zoth kills.

I can name some of my pieces of gear now, but I’m ok not knowing them. I’m also more interested in the name of the prices I mogged on top of that nameless gear

I’m curious if you have an example. I can’t think of any piece of gear that is both unique and lacking a name, but I’m willing to submit I’m not considering all possible examples

What I meant was that in Classic, the name of a piece of a gear was a unique identifier that fully specified the gear piece: ilevel, stats, any special powers, and appearance.

In retail, either the vast majority or possibly 100% of gear pieces are not fully specified by name alone. Most can have a wide range of ilevel, are eligible for random upgrades like tertiary stats or gem slot, can roll a random corruption, etc. So what you’re left with is mostly the name being an appearance. Not at all the same thing.

1 Like

Anyone who likes RPGs? That’s like half the point of an RPG.

Oh that’s a good point. I forgot about the scalar portion of gear. You’re right there was only ever one piece of Stratholme gear.

Classic has less gear variety. I feel like classic gear is more cookie cutter. I remember playing a priest during MC days and the one staff you HAD to have was benediction. Meanwhile in retail you’re just looking for the highest ilvl weapon to randomly drop off a boss.

1 Like

Are you referring to “Keyboard smash, shroud of Resolve”? Does anybody know how to spell or pronounce that?

And I so wish that Blizzard had thought about keeping the weapons and having them upgraded as we go. Several characters do have their weapons mogged into the legion artifacts.

Is it really legendary when it’s expected that most people will have it? No.

Real ‘legendary’ things are scarce and exciting. Not common and granted.

1 Like

Digimon is for kids who’s parents didn’t love them.

We realized the iconic item in your mind is just that.

Now days lotot is just for stats to perform better in mythic. If you’re not a fan of mythic raiding chances are you’re not a wow fan these days.

You see, the part where people go wrong isn’t about remembering gear or so.

That’s part of your fun. The exclusivity and the thrill of knowing everything you have.

You know where we went wrong?

When we tried to remember only one part of what makes the game fun and think it applies to everyone.

Not everyone liked the exclusivity or the forced “social communication”. Shocked? Yeah that’s how fun works. Different people like different things.

The only thing which changed is other people got to have fun in different ways other than just mooning over one person’s gear.

Legit can’t remember a single name of any item on any of my toons.

I have no idea what the legendary cloak is called off the top of my head and I don’t know how to pronounce it and I’ve never heard anyone call it by name

I can still name items from BC, I can still name items from wrath, all the items in this xpac just are nameless

K, won’t be finding me doing that.

I’ll happily go weeks without loot (Which won’t happen till we’re farther into the xpac and we’re farming BiS as the weekly cache still exists) with the return BiS lists being possible and being able to actually target your BiS and not just have to do as much content as you can in hopes the RNG gods grace you that day.

And it’s not like the current state, where loot is thrown at you every chance possible, means you’re getting an upgrade every week.

It’s a game. Why be attached to things you cannot control?

I spit my coffee ahahahah too funny.

if you don’t remember what the name of the legendary cloak is, you probably never read it to begin with.

same goes for other items. there’s plenty of unique item names.