Where did we go wrong?

So I’m sitting here playin classic wow with my bud and we’re lookin at our characters and thinking about how invested we are in them and how much work we’ve put into everything. Then, he says to me, “Can you name any one piece of gear on your shaman currently” referring to retail wow and this just completely blew my mind.

I couldn’t name a single piece of gear. I had no idea what the names of any of the items were that I had equipped. I could have only told you the item level and some words like my trinket is “claw”. I literally have a LEGENDARY cloak equipped and I had no idea what the first letter of it’s name even was.

This feels like a betrayal to everything I love about this game. I literally have a rank 1 title that I’ve worked harder for than anything else in my life and I still feel more attached to my lv 60 warrior that I boosted. Part of this is because I am a nightelf instead of a dwarf or draenei that I don’t relate to as much but part of this is also because I relate way more to being an adventurer and working hard for my rewards than I do to being a spaceship pilot/half god-super hero that can’t be stopped even by every enemy in sight at the same time.

I don’t feel the need to explore the world when I own it. Everyone kneels before my insane power. On my classic warrior, I’m afraid to go too deep into the fargodeep mine in fear of angering too many kobolds and being slain.

To be clear, I think retail wow is better than classic and i’m not arguing anything like that, but am I the only one that feels this way? Is there a solution or is this just the world we live in now?

I thought I had grown out of the things I used to love about classic wow, but going back and playing it again, that is clearly not the case. Simply, retail wow has just outgrown me and my love for adventure and fantasy in favor of, I guess, ease of access and removal of exclusivity from almost everything with the exception now of really only rank 1 titles.

53 Likes

Who plays a game to go “OH MAN I CANT WAIT TO REMEMBER GEAR IM WEARING” ?

81 Likes

I would love a return to more grounded storylines and gameplay, but unfortunately this is just the world we live in now.

16 Likes

I guess I do? I think all the time about the weapons on my warrior and how cool they are. Or my gloves that were really important to my character’s power and the time I had to spend to get them enchanted.

5 Likes

I would think a lot of people play games to get excited about things they earn in the game.

13 Likes

Yeah true but to recall exact pieces of armor?

It’s strange.

8 Likes

10s of thousands of items in Retail WOW. Nothing is wrong if you can’t remember the names of your currently equipped items.

12 Likes

Yeah but how many legendary cloaks do you have? You know?

I’ve felt like this as well, but there’s really not a solution because it’s not something that the modern WoW fanbase really seems to be behind enough to get any traction on changes.

and now that Classic exists, most posts that bring it up are met with replies of “well go play Classic then”.

Which I know the point of Classic was to let people play 1.12 again, but it would be nice to get a modern game designed with those old school philosophies in mind a bit more.

6 Likes

Heck I can barely remember the names of all the pokemon

3 Likes

I’m more invested in my little pet collection than gear. Every toon has a level 3 garrison and has unlocked the menagerie so my little ones can wander about.

:cookie:

13 Likes

I stopped at like mewtwo.

I know most digimon though.

The goal is to get awesome gear that makes you feel powerful. Being able to remember the name is a side effect of that.

I’m sure your brain doesn’t hold on to random information ever.
Maybe a favorite spell from a game you played back when?
Why would anyone ever remember the exact names of things right?

1 Like

There’s far less abilities compared to every single piece of gear.

2 Likes

Ah yes * looks at notes * Archimonde dirty socks I will never forget those.

13 Likes

It’s basically down to simplification of stats making it much more likely that a single item won’t be better than all others. Then combined with the massive amount of items and variations on those items making the item itself negligible.

And on top of that transmog makes the looks of the items irrelevant too.

2 Likes

Youre trying really hard to be obtuse, aren’t you.

You’re the one trying to compare pieces of gear to our pool of spells

1 Like

FWIW, I can name multiple pieces of gear on my HPal here, but I’m also not sure why this is… a metric?

4 Likes