When was the 1st Venthyr Rebellion?

I’m trying to figure out how long Theotar was in the Emberward and how long Renathal was in the Maw, and I don’t know if I missed the part that said how long ago the first rebellion started or if it’s never explicitly mentioned.

When I played through, I thought that Denathrius had tossed Renathal into the Maw a few months prior, at most.

However, there’s a paragraph in a diary entry you can find that mentions “after eons, our dreams are nearly realized” or something along those lines, in regards to restoring Revendreth’s purpose, which would make it seem like the rebellion happened much earlier.

I’m pretty sure they’re going to do in shadowlands time is timey wimey. As in time is not a concrete concept in shadowlands or at least the maw. And pretty much most of the time someone mentions a time frame it’s going to be eons.

3 Likes

The first rebelion was being wrapped up by the time we got to revendreth. The only leader that was left was the gargoyle general. Renethal was in the maw, theotar in the ember ward, and the accuser we helped capture.

The fact that theotar wasn’t an ash ghoul by the time we found him also makes me believe the rebellion was recent

That’s the consensus I got from leveling in the zone. There might be some notes here and their that conflict with it but I’ll chalk that up to the devs not paying attention to the story

10 Likes

Literally everyone in the zone is immortal, and Azerothian measurements of time mean nothing to them. So this is a hard question to answer.

The only way we could possibly get any sense of a timeline is if they, at some point, mention the rebellion as happening before or after the arrival of Kael’thas, Garrosh, or any other Azerothian we know of. To my knowledge, that doesn’t happen.

2 Likes

In a Revendreth world quest, I recall having to rescue some prisoners belonging to Renethal’s rebellion. On rescue, they sometimes commented that they had been caged for a few years.

2 Likes
  1. In the quest where you speak with Denathrius, he mentions you arrive in the midst of a rebellion
  2. Renathal recognizes you as the Maw Walker from Azeroth

These two points by necessity mean Renathal’s rebellion that we are engaging with and help started after Sylvanas breaks the Helm and before we arrive in Revendreth.

In fact when we help them retake Sinfall, one of the Dredgers loyal to Renathal is still fighting.

That being said when you join the Venthyr, The Accuser mentions she has heard this idea before, long before they knew of Denathrius’s treachery. So it seems Renathal would rebel against Denathrius in minor forms.

3 Likes

I was under the impression Theotar staved off the worst deprivations of the Ember Ward thanks to his parasol and anima infused tea.

There doesn’t seem to be a relative time frame for how quickly or slowly one turns into an ash ghoul, but Theotar seemed like he was set up to resist the change indefinitely so long as he had Tubbins and Gubbins.

3 Likes