When is the Wow 2 movie coming out?

I think it’s time.

1 Like

Never, first one failed and did not make money.

Unless of course someone in Hollywood has the urge to burn cash of course.

2 Likes

Hmm.
Well look at Legendary Pictures list of films:
Godzilla
Kong
Pacific Rim
Pokemon
The Great Wall
Mama Mia! (Italian pride)
BlacKKKlansman (excellent movie)
Skyscraper
Jurassic World

I’d say, if there was a film company out there that would produce a film based on the Chinese market’s demand for it… It would be Legendary. So maybe those guys in Hollywood won’t care about how badly this film will perform here. It’s megabucks in China. But I don’t know why this film performed so badly here.
This was our fantasy!
Legendary very well might continue to exploit “western high fantasy” to China and the eastern market, like how we watch their ninja movies.

It’s not like our dusty Terminator films, with time travel hi jinx, have a home ANYWHERE.

I liked the Warcraft movie. I’d love to see the aftermath of Warcraft, to see humans destroy the dark portal. For them to introduce the Menethils of Lordaeron, and yes, for there to eventually be a 3rd installment that’s zombie based or ends with the 2 sides finding 2 continents on the one world.

Nobody is expecting a Terminator 7, but I’d say a Warcraft 2 isn’t unreasonable to consider. It did earn $439 million.

Also, I saw Dark Fate, and liked what they did :slight_smile:

1 Like

You should read the full wiki about it earning…

Warcraft grossed $47.4 million in the United States, and $386.3 million in other countries, for a worldwide total of $433.7 million.Given its $160 million net production budget, *[The Hollywood Reporter] reported the film needed to earn at least $450 million to break-even.

With the film’s storyline leaving Warcraft open to possible sequels, Jones has expressed interest in a sequel to the film, likely to be adapted from Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness* , the second video game in the [ Warcraft franchise On June 18, 2018, Jones tweeted that the chance of Warcraft getting a sequel "doesn’t look good”.

So can we just end the charade now? It failed. It was considered a financial disappointment. It did make more than any other video game to movie release, but that isnt exactly saying much.

Also the theatre company chain used in China is well known for making false reports of attendance to movies to try and bolster customer support. I remember reading somewhere they had hired people to stand in queue.

2 Likes

It’s not unless Blizz makes it CG in house. Every asset from the film has been sold and no one wants to make a sequel.

Video game movies always ‘fail’ at the box office though everyone knows that.

I don’t fully understand why, I admit. Feel free to share your thoughts on this…

One theory I have is that video game movies cater almost too much to their fan-base rather than to a large audience. There’s not one person or even an ex-player of wow that I’ve met that hasn’t seen the warcraft movie. I’ve also heard that on the recent Sonic the Hedgehog movie that they changed his entire appearance to cater to the fan base. That will be great for the fans, but whether or not that will be beneficial to a wider audience, only time will tell, I will be watching that one closely.

Another reason could also be that because video games rely on action to fuel drama, where movies require drama to fuel the action. I admit, I am in the camp that really enjoy story telling in video games, but a lot of comments i see on the general forum is that the amount of story line in FF14 they don’t care about and are just skipping cutscenes to just play, but to me the story is the main reason I like that game lol. Also the Diablo 4 trailer cinematic really enjoyed, as you had different motivations for what the characters were up to, some were just there for gold and treasure, while one guy was specifically there for knowledge, to me that’s good storytelling when you have characters that have joined a common cause for different motivations.

But I would challenge the notion that the warcraft movie did badly. First, I haven’t met one gamer friend that even if they don’t play wow, didn’t see the warcraft movie. Also in reality, the warcraft movie did decently well, it was actually the highest-grossing film of all time based on a video game.

I am not saying the film was perfect, generally my view is that one of the problems with the movie from an outsider perspective that I could sort of understand and relate to was this…there was too much focus on too many different characters, I mean flashing between Khadgar, Lothar, Durotan, Garona, that was the problem. Now that’s not an issue for wow fans, as we already know who all these characters are as well as their background, but from an outsiders point of view, I could get why that would be an issue. For us, all the lore characters are already established, we know exactly who they all are. But from an outsider’s point of view, it would be best to focus more on specific characters and their own personal development. I’ve also heard from critics that one of the issues was that there was a lot of warcraft fantasy jargon that we might have understood clearly, but an outsider that’s never seen the warcraft universe wouldn’t have a clue. Like if you think about, we know what ‘mak’gara’ means, we know what ‘The Guardian’ means, we know what Durotan was talking about when he referred to ‘Frostfire dunes’ we know what ‘the Fel’ is, all that made sense to us, but from an outsider, it’s all just meaningless fantasy jargon. that they might have found difficult to keep up with.

What do you think?

1 Like

For me it was poorly written and acted. It just wasn’t convincing and I didn’t feel any “buy in” to the characters or story.

There were a few in jokes, but for most people they wouldn’t notice them unless they had played WoW.

The special effects, aside from cgi orcs, were way over done. It was garish and over the top. To the point it looked like a low budget tv series.

I honestly am pleased I didn’t see it in the theatre, I am disappointed I paid for the Blu-Ray though. If I had to rank it out of 10, wow gets a 3. And only because I love wow.

I think the reason videogame to movies fail is either they’re based off games with simple stories and the studios lose track of it in favour of action scenes. Or they choose a game like WoW with multiple storylines and cram it all into a couple hours.

Now, if WoW had been a tv series, it may have done much better. But bearing in mind the world had also just come off Tolkien’s stories, and may be more than a little orcd out.

3 Likes

The Warcraft Movie’s Sequel should be a TV Series using the In-House animation of Blizzard.

The TV Series should make it a plot point that the show takes place in a lesser AU. Have lady Alodi outright tell the Heroes that they aren’t in the Main Timeline and that she was using her lifeforce to maintain the Movie/TV Show-Verse until Khadgar could by killing Medivh alter it enough to stabilize it.

The show should have the Forest Trolls led by Zul’jin introduce Gul’dan to the Maw’s Purple Death Magic and have them open a portal big enough for the Twilight’s Hammer led by Cho’Gall to come to Azeroth introduce Gul’dan to the Void.

Cho’Gall should in the TV Series use the Azerothian Void Users’ connection to the Azerothian Old Gods to open a portal to Ny’alotha and draw upon the Emerald Nightmare.

Furthermore it should make Alexstrasza’s Dragonflight match WC2 by making them Green Dragons corrupted into Nightmare Dragons by the Twilight’s Hammer thus becoming Green Dragons with Red Wings.

The Forest Trolls’ Death Magic teachings should help Gul’dan with turning the Shadow Council into Death Knights in the TV Show(MU Gul’dan never gave a reason for knowing about Death Magic in the MU anyways so it would serve the same purpose as having Medivh father Garona in the Movie).

The Void and Death based armies(plus a summoned Mannoroth who would preform the Blood Pact with the Orcs) would bring down Stormwind just to match the original WC2 Game. Zul’jin should drain Khadgar in place of Medivh and mock Movie-verse Medivh for failing his destiny to rapidly age Khadgar.

The show should have Doomhammer confused by all the new Magic that Gul’dan has got his hands on and after saving Khadgar and Lothar from Zul’jin goes with them to Karazhan to discover the nature of these new Magics and discover that Fel is not Death Magic and that there are good and bad Death Magics.

Khadgar, Lothar and Doomhammer should use their knowledge to temporarily delve into the Shadowlands and discover the 2 major Covenants of Bastion and Maldraxxus. Durotan should be seen in Maldraxxus after the Main Heroes learn of it and it’s purpose(to serve as the Shadowlands’ line of defense) from the Kyrians of Bastion.

Doomhammer will also discover that Fel is Chaos Magic that feeds on Death Magic which is why it kills Life since all things and all places have Souls with Anima in them.

The Alliance in the TV Show should take in the Death Magics of Bastion and Maldraxxus and use them(to the point of creating Green Death Elementals and summoning Maldraxxus’s Abominations) against the Maw’s Death Magics used by the Death Knights and Forest Trolls.

The Paladins should be introduced and be pitted against the Twilight’s Hammer.

The show should also deal with Lord of the Clans down to Thrall raising a heroic Horde army trained with Shamanism against Blackmoore but reference Twilight of the Aspects by turning Blackmoore into Murozond(who sent Blackmoore after Thrall in Twilight of the Aspects) and thus on Cho’Gall’s side.

The TV Show version of Warcraft should have all Villains on the same side just for simplicity. Mannoroth not Gul’dan should be the one to seek the Tomb of Sargeras of course since Gul’dan is leader of the Horde.

1 Like
 I for one would support another attempt.  I thought the first one was pretty enjoyable.  I would be more for a Live Action Streaming series.  Yet with Disney coming out with the Mandalorian, and the vast amounts of other streaming services out there, I don't see this coming to.  
 The other titles in Blizzards Vaults should get a chance as well.  To see Sarah Kerrigan transform into the Queen of Blades in the theaters would be pretty cool!!  Oh well, it's going to stay in the realm of wishful thinking..

what does orcd out mean?