When did wow become primarily about competitive gameplay?

Classic MMO’s were all about (large groups) working together and I truly miss that aspect of the game.

1 Like

Large groups working together is still a key aspect of WoW.

Ever since DOTA became a thing and slipped through Blizzard’s fingers they have been trying to catch lightning in a bottle by pushing franchises towards being Esport compatible because of the profitability.

As for WoW specifically sometime in TBC and Wrath they started trying to push Arenas as a esport. However arenas are not a good event for the casual viewer to enjoy; theres too much going on and it requires a lot of knowledge of classes ans specs.

Exactly what I mean. You just focused on the “MMO” part while disregarding the “RPG” part. That’s OK though, I get it.

TBH, I’ve always preferred smaller groups. Anything large tends to get crazy and out of hand. Smaller communities tend to be a lot nicer and just more chill.

Despite the non-competition on Classic Era BSB (and not a lot of people either), we’re still super nice and chill to each other, whenever we do see each other. In Retail, with the illusion of “many people” (a bunch a servers on the same hotline, condensed together), I still feel invisible, and the “community” is just not there.

You said I spoke out against Shamans. I never did.

Or course since I’m 95% for Shamans, that’s not enough because the Shaman people will say “HOW COULD YOU not add that last 5% !!!”.

Now stop saying I said things I never said.

You justified shaman changes not happening based on your perceived population numbers of shaman, and that dev time is finite.

I am applying that same logic. What you want shouldnt be done because of the population numbers of what you want and limited dev time.

Unfortunately.

I try not to, though LOL

There’s two conversations going here.

First, you basically miss represented what I said. I was never anti Shaman. I made some suggestions as to why they are not popular for OTHER PEOPLE NOT ME but I was never anti shaman.

As for your logic, it’s just flat out wrong. WoW has always had things other than end game as important parts of the game. Going back to Warcraft I: Orcs & Humans you had to gather materials to support your army.

Hahaha, no they don’t. I don’t even know who got world first Fyrakk or any raid end boss of this expansion for that matter. And i can’t be bothered to look it up either.

1 Like

You gave examples on why shaman were not being worked on. Because of population numbers.

I gave example for what you want not being worked on.

WC1 gameplay is irrelevant to WoW gameplay.

For me, this happened during Covid when I went from enjoying an meandering, immersive adventure thru Eastern Kingdoms, Kalimdor, Outland, Northrend and Pandaria and stuck my toe in Draenor.

There was no chance to become immersed because of the annoying intrusive pop-ups, being called back to the garrison continuously interrupted my adventure and my character’s story made no sense.

It completely ruined the amazing time I was having.

I was assured the Broken Isles returned to the original adventure style.

It didn’t and I have yet to make it all the way thru.

After reading this over, I am unsure of why I am still playing WoW.

I mean, yeah, right now I am playing it because Remix is the bomb!

But, overall, I am unsure why I came back earlier this year or stuck around.

Pretty much.

I can’t figure out why someone hasn’t created a lobby dungeon/raid game.

Never mind levels at all, just have ilvls, no World, just a lobby with Looking-For, Pre-made, Community and Guild options and away everyone goes!

2 Likes

When Mythic came along in Warlords. You could also say when the Ghostcrawler era ended and the Hazzikostos era began.

3 Likes

I understand your feelings, and I wish you the best in this game.

1 Like

A smaller large group, but yes, if you count 25 as large.

1 Like

I do A LOT less PvP now than I did in vanilla.

If anything, this is the most solo play friendly the games ever been? You can even run dungeons alone now. Don’t need a guild to do raids.

Getting a little tired of the endless pushing of this false premise that the game is not solo friendly.

Almost completely breaking the game to make it even more alt friendly.

2 Likes

I flat stopped PVP when I experienced premades and that it is essentially just pure unbalanced cancer.

2 Likes

I stopped doing PvP when they allowed Alliance players to horn in on Horde teams, during WoD.

(Trashran being horrible helped.)

The game is 20 years old. Practically everyone is at endgame. Why would you bother spending time developing content where most players aren’t?

With that being said, WoW still retains some of its best storytelling and RPG elements if you choose to take part, but most players don’t, because they are objective oriented.

There are still excellent vignettes and regional stories that are entirety optional, and frequently overlooked.

If you’re experiencing this, then that is a decision you have made.

3 Likes

Hold on now! Many people like ME don’t enjoy dungeons, raids, PvP, or frankly any group content due to (reasons). However, we love the leveling, questing, and other activities in the game - I have 64 “alts” to prove it :wink: