When did wow become primarily about competitive gameplay?

are there not enough quests in the game for you!?

3 Likes

It was around WLK being released I believe.

I can’t answer because it’s never been about competitive gameplay for me.

2 Likes

Never once did I speak out against Shaman fixes. In fact I said I wished Blood Elves could be Shamans because I could play one.

And you are wrong about focusing on max level game play. WoW has always focused on questing, stories, professions, gathering and end game. And along the way they picked up Transmog.

You talked about how since so few people play shaman, they are most likely ignoring shaman because of the low numbers. And that this is fair. Because dev time is limited and they should focus on the classes people play more.

I am saying that should apply here.

They are ignoring leveling changes because so few people focus on leveling compared to max level play.

I dont think anyone watches that

That is entirely different than speaking out against Shaman fixes.
Please go twist someone else’s words around.

I am not.

All I am saying is that you should use your same logic here.

I am sure someone does. But i should clarify that when i say “that the public began caring about the RWF”. I actually mean that they became aware of it even being a thing.

Like no one except the hardcore cared or even knew who got world first Illidan. But when the Lich King went down, even casuals talked about it.

Alright but what about now, do those casual talk about who got Fyrakk first. Nope.

I cannot fathom this, imagine:
I am just sitting there clicking random cows in valdrakken and someone says, you know that XfurionsWarr678X got Fyrakk WORLD FIRST? Huh ?
It is false sense of accomplishments, it does not exist.

When calculators masquerading as people starting nesting in the windowless, unfinished basements of class Discords and began telling people how to play their classes by the numbers.

Prethee be careful, Normie, for those lost souls had never touched the sunlight since, and it is said that anything not of Dorito or Mountain Dew scent shall be set upon as an enemy of their kind.

Their controversies are hilarious though. I remember when people were freaking out during N’yalotha about Blizzard being pay to win because the guilds in RtWF were buying corrupted gear by the millions of gold.

It was hilarious.

1 Like

Man. You sure do seem to hate people.

2 Likes

I work in customer service, so it comes with the territory.

Legion IMO

I never cared about it. The rush to open AQ, different story all together.

1 Like

… TBC?

The base, vanilla, game was about the world. They can’t just double that every expansion unless they want like a 7 year expansion cycle, so expansions are smaller in scope and focus more on the endgame than the journey. The base game is the journey. Expansions are endgame.

And since the game is 20 years old, it’s mostly expansions, which means mostly endgame, almost all the way down.

The only reason it felt any different Vanilla → WotLK and maybe Cata at latest is because there was a constant stream of new players replacing the people leaving out the back end so the “journey” part of the game was constantly being refilled with new blood.

Once that stream thinned out it became more clear, I guess.

2 Likes

For me? Nov 2004, it was always about end game

So much fun in a PvP Server. Will never happen again, sadly.

1 Like

Couldn’t have said it better, myelf.

It’s why I like Classic Era (on BSB, since it’s not connected with anything). It’s all about the “RPG” aspect of the game (and character build up and world immersion). Unfortunately, I believe too many are focused on the “MMO” part of “MMORPG”, that they forget this is an “RPG”, as well.

4 Likes

I think some people want a monopoly over the definition of “RPG” also.

If you dont “RPG” the accepted way, you are just…well. Wrong.

1 Like