When did we stop putting heads on spikes?

What do you mean? The Horde can keep spawning grunts as much as it likes as long as it has 200g to spend.

2 Likes

Ah but you need the pig farms to feed those you train, the peons to “zug zug” the gold to you regularly (so long as you don’t have to keep Booteranging them back to work)…

1 Like

Ok that is fair but lumber doesn’t just grow on trees.

1 Like

This honestly hits a lot of issues I’ve noticed, as well. Warcraft has never been edgy “grim-dark” stuff, but it has had a world that felt fairly well-realized largely because it was a bit savage and brutal at times. Not in a graphic sense, but that much like the RTS series it spawned from, it’s not always about right and wrong, but who has the most resources or the biggest army.

I think that’s a prime example of why Garithos is probably one of the most effective “villains” in Warcraft. He wasn’t crazy powerful, he didn’t threaten to usher in the end of the world. He was just a jerk in a position of authority.

I think that’s also why BFA didn’t work. Blizzard would tell us one moment that the Horde are winning the war, and then the Alliance, and the the combined might of the Alliance and the Saurfang-aligned Horde stood no chance against Sylvanas and her Horde.

There was no consistency, no sense of understanding the power of resources or what those resources even were. It was implied that Azerite would be powerful, but other than being a mechanical game system, it wasn’t really showcased as being of particular importance.

It seems a bit ironic that this expansion ends with the Aspects being full empowered “but with Good-source powers”, because having it end with them being unable to reclaim their Aspect powers would’ve better set the stage for the Titans’ eventual return, and grounded the dragonflights’ relative powers to be more in-line with the mortal races of the world.

2 Likes

I agree with a lot of this sentiment but for me, the problem with BfA was that they tried to involve morality in a narrative that did NOT need it.

One thing that drives me absolutely bonkers is how people keep saying someone needs to be the “bad guy” for a faction war to happen. But that’s not true at all! Azeroth is covered in geopolitical landmines just waiting to go off and create a conflict where neither side is right or wrong. In fact, I’d argue the peace the Alliance and Horde are currently enjoying shouldn’t exist. There are too many critical issues the writers are completely ignoring for the sake of this forced peace between the factions.

3 Likes

I need a recap because this post is literally like someone got bored in a hospital bed and just started to write.

I put in a tl;dr for you illiterate folks. Why aren’t you seeing it?

im not illiterate i read at a perfect preschool leveelelolelel

2 Likes

I think it’s more a case of attention span. I blame the internet age for those who grew up with it always there.

I’m old and read the whole post. The part about not being hyperbolic, and then doing just that wasn’t something that I expected.

2 Likes

its not that just no one wants to read a novel about you basically wanting to kill ppl lol

Sorry I came to a game called “Warcraft” with the base expectation of getting to kill people.

My guy, Worgen have existed since 2010. Races like them aren’t new to the game.

Because they never truly allied before, it was a temporary truce to defeat a big bad, now they are realizing that “hey, maybe it doesn’t need to just be a temporary truce”

That’s what they tried after the Third War. Then Daelin shattered all the goodwill that had been built up. Then Varian picked up the pieces and ground them to dust.
Honestly imo any notion of lasting peace between the factions should have died at the Battle for Undercity. Varian’s declaration of war proved the “peace” between the Alliance and Horde was a failed experiment because the were those were the best conditions for peace we ever had and it STILL fell through.

California.

That’s a lot of words to type that could be more summarized as ‘I sure wish people didn’t have feelings and just enjoyed endless slaughter for slaughter’s sake.’

Part of how you ‘fix’ the ‘moral dilemma’ of WoW is to redirect where the killing happens. Rather than destroying entire tribes or civilizations of people due to simple disagreements, they need to be enclaves of cultists hellbent on the destruction of your cause. This allows the ‘shoot-loot-scoot’ gameplay loop to remain intact while not compromising a character’s moral standing in doing what they’re doing. Expansion of activities could also include collection versus slaying, and also could be combat that doesn’t end in fatalities.

‘Just kill it’ is a symptom of a lack of imagination.

If I wanted to play DnD, I’d play DnD. The people who enjoyed the more brutal side of WoW were here first.

2 Likes
1 Like

Too bad they didn’t stick around and the new blood wanted a new outlook in the world.

Half of your wish-list would result in the factions completely dissolving because their desires were literally incompatible with each other. Example: Forsaken and Tauren. I’ll let you guess which ones the Orcs and Trolls would side with when push comes to shove.

You do realize that the Tauren are the ones who petitioned for the Forsaken to join the Horde in the first place right?