When a single realm is down

why do we get kicked instead of given the option of switching realms like retail? I guess if my realm goes down I can’t play Classic at all? Yikes.

2 Likes

Have you every played an MMO before? You don’t get to switch servers like you’re playing Counter Strike. I’m sure your realm will be back shortly.

3 Likes

Truly you’re a better troll than this? Right…?

I guess I don’t understand what you’re asking. It sounds like you wanna be able to change to a different server when yours is down.

1 Like

You have been able to do this for years. This not happening automatically is likely a bug.

That sounds like a retail feature that uses sharding. This game doesn’t have that because we don’t want sharding.

You’re using terms like “sharding” and “servers” when I literally used the term “realm”. I guess you don’t know the difference between the three?

Who let this guy on a computer?

10 Likes

I think you’re confused dude. Your realm is your server. Sharding allows players from different severs (realms) to play together. It’s the feature that allows you to keep playing when your server (realm) is down. This game doesn’t have that feature.

So I cannot play on other realms when one realm is down? Damn, my friends list is full of ghosts then…

The problem is that you can. You just need to switch server using the clearly-marked switch server buttons. Instead of letting it hang until you DC, cancel your attempt to connect to server, and it should kick you to the server select screen.

If it’s not letting you use those, you can manually edit your default realm selection in the wtf file.

Because this is so easy to do, people are assuming that you’re asking to play your existing characters on other realms - which is obviously impossible.

5 Likes

Currently, while Faerlina was down, it was looping us into connect, immediate disconnect screens, with no option to view the realm list or change realms.

Oh that’s what he’s asking… haha yeah dude there’s a button

Edit in the wtf file then. I can’t seem to find which one right now, but there should be a file somewhere that should have SET realmname in it somewhere.

Either that, or just hit Cancel at any point when you can see the waiting to connect bit.

Of course, but this is a hassle. I’m sure what is happening is not intended as it does not happen in other instances of their WoW clients.

Obviously it’s a bug. Realms are not supposed to DC you when they fail to connect.

But it’s a bug with an easy workaround.

This work around has not worked in awhile. The SET realm or SET startuprealm options in the config.wtf file no longer exist in retail or classic.

Cancel button is the other work-around

Unfortunately that just sends us back to log in screen.

Dang then it’s a legit bug with no work-around. Expect it to get fixed in the coming hours/days if it’s keeping people from playing at all, they will shriek at Blizzard aggressively about it.