What's your stance on refurbished things?

So ebay’s having a sale for electronics, but select refurbished stuff

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/749338020565483613/802314826922852392/Screenshot_20210122-171215.png

It’s mostly pre built PC’s, MacBooks and monitors, I have yet to see an Xbox like it’s advertising

But I’m curious on what everyone’s stance on refurbished monitors, would you yourself buy a refurbished monitor even if it was an extra 20% off and included two year warranty?

For example

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/749338020565483613/802316020186480650/Screenshot_20210122-171702.png

Would you take the risk even if it’s certified from Acer themselves for 20% off and free warranty?

I have almost zero issue buying refurbs personally, especially if they are warrantied.

I wouldn’t get refurbished safety parts, like tires or whatever, but electronics? Hit me fam.

Refurb with warranty. I would take it.

I would think that an actual human would be involved with bringing the item back up to spec.

Some stuff like refurbished office PC’s can be pretty whack.

I got my mom a refurbished Dell, which is fine functionally, but had a chunk of metal cut out of it from what one would assume is a serial number stamped on it from some business, then they welded on a piece of metal and covered it all with black tape.

It was just the case, so it’s not a big deal, but yeah, stuff like those can be a bit weird.

Big companies that sell refurbished versions of their regular retail stuff? That’s gold and often indistinguishable from a normal retail product except for the brown box.

Varies wildly with who’s refurbishing and what they consider refurbished.

For example, Apple products that’ve been refurbished by Apple are indistinguishable from brand new, aside from a decent price cut and sometimes a generic box, because during refurbishment they’ll replace any part with even the slightest flaw. On the off chance some flaw slipps through the cracks, they fix it, no questions asked. If I needed an iDevice or Mac and one of their available refurb units fit my needs I’d order in a heartbeat.

On the other hand, when it comes to some random seller on Amazon/NewEgg/eBay/etc, “refurbished” doesn’t necessarily mean anything. In the case of PCs, it can be as little as making sure the thing works, putting a fresh install of Windows on it, and boxing it up.

I agree with others in this thread that if it has a warranty it’s probably fine, but before buying make sure to research the seller a bit to get an idea of what their idea of refurbishment is and how likely they are to honor their warranties.

its an official Acer seller and the warranty is Trademark by Allstate

1 Like

I’d like to think that a refurb would be a better option than brand new, at least in terms of functionality (aesthetics… maybe not). New products can come with small niggles - not enough to stop them from working, but certainly enough to be noticeable. A refurb would hopefully have also addressed these issues, in addition to whatever had caused it to be returned in the first place.

But that naturally will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, technician to technician. At the very least, though, it stands to reason that every refurb has been properly QC tested, instead of only every 10th; 100th; 1,000th; or whatever you get off the main production line.

I’d definitely do my research on who was doing it. Generally your gut will direct you pretty well on that stuff.

Recent experience with refurbished items:

The Dell Refurb I got from Amazon third party seller - it was cosmetically imperfect, but it stated it wouldn’t be perfect and it worked as described. No complaints. ~$200.

Corsair K68 LED Keyboard from Amazon. It was basically brand new in box, albeit cardboard. Paid $44 for it, new was $99. Only replaced because the dog chewed up the cable.

ASUS VP248QG - 1080p/75hz monitor - paid $117 as an Amazon renewed item. $169 regular price. It also appeared brand new in box. Works perfectly.

Dyson DC50 Refurbished from Amazon $206 in 2017. Regular price $500. Seemed like it was brand new. Still works. Used weekly.