What's your opinion on this build?

Lilybugg, I think I’m finally narrowing things down. I know this is a “good” gaming PC but I’ve never owned an Alienware before. I picked and chose a few of the parts, changed some things. Does this one look alright? I know a potato can run WoW but I’m thinking a PC that’ll last a while. Down the road if I need to upgrade a few pieces here and there then that’s ok. But for now, how does this one look? This is the one I am leaning heavily towards now.

Processor
AMD Ryzen™ 7 3700X (8-Core, 32MB L3 Cache, Max Boost Clock of 4.4GHz)

Operating System
Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, English

Video Card
NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3080 10GB GDDR6X

Chassis Options
Dark Side of the Moon chassis with High-Performance CPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

Memory
32GB Dual Channel HyperX™ FURY DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz; up to 64GB (additional memory sold separately)

Hard Drive
2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage)

Wireless
Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX1650 (2x2) and Bluetooth 5.0

The question isn’t so much are the parts good, but how much are they overcharging you?

2 Likes

Well to be fair, I’m also thinking and factoring in labor, someone had to build the pc. lol. If money was no object, I’m just wondering if the PC’s themselves were good.

what Sals said. I hate the whole part list thing as I’v stated several times especially when you have a bunch of gamers answering rather then tech people. Your parts work and that’s what is important. If it was me? I would not go crazy over cooling a 3700x (any half decent cooler will do) and would not get a 1k PSU as it’s way overkill even for a RTX 3080 but that’s me not you. I would also drop the 2TB HDD completely unless you have a specific need of it.

Presuming you could actually get a 3080,

it would cost you in parts:

3700x $300
Mobo w/wifi $200
3080 $750
Case $100
PSU $120
AIO $120
RAM $110
2TB NVME $225
2TB HD $50
W10 Retail $120
Random Fans and stuff $50

~$2150

So whatever the difference in price with what Alienware is asking, is that worth the labor and a warranty?

(also, without much hesitation I will say these parts will be superior to whatever Alienware puts in it)

Right now I’m looking at a price tag of $1,649 for the alienware I just posted.

Are you certain that is the price with all that kitted out?

There’s no way they’re selling it so cheap retail.

Unless you have some sort of special discount.

yep, in my cart, right now sitting on the website is: $1,649 no joke. I’d screenshot it if I could. That’s why I’m leaning strongly towards pressing that buy button

link to the build model?

because this is what i see with your options:

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/desktop-computers/alienware-aurora-ryzen-edition-r10-gaming-desktop/spd/alienware-aurora-r10-desktop/wdryzr1031h?configurationid=058df26f-d5e9-49dc-9134-621588a07147

$2,869.99

it’s not a bad price, ive seen way worse

See above. Forgot to kit it out exactly as mentioned. Gotta be a mistake. $700 premium.

If that was $1700 even I’d buy it.

I found this by digging a little on the deals, I upgraded a couple of the components. Originally it was the $1,649 but with the upgrading I mispoke, price final is: $2169

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/desktop-computers/alienware-aurora-ryzen-edition-r10-gaming-desktop/spd/alienware-aurora-r10-desktop/wdryzr1021

Processor
AMD Ryzen™ 7 3700X (8-Core, 32MB L3 Cache, Max Boost Clock of 4.4GHz)

Operating System
Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, English

Video Card
NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3080 10GB GDDR6X

Chassis Options
Dark Side of the Moon chassis with High-Performance CPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

Memory
32GB Dual Channel HyperX™ FURY DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz; up to 64GB (additional memory sold separately)

Hard Drive
1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD

Wireless
Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX1650 (2x2) and Bluetooth 5.0

Down to $2119 with $50 off coupon code

$2169 for that isn’t terrible, it’s mostly close to what you’d pay for your own parts. Given you’ve dropped down to a 1TB SSD and no secondary HD, that’s around -$150 off your parts total so it’s $2120 vs $2000 flat including your coupon.

That said:

1. Motherboard probably sucks, limited, and proprietary.
  2. Case is well…I mean beauty is in the eye of the beholder I suppose. But also likely proprietary.
  3. It’s a 3080, that’s the best part about this system. That said we have no idea if it’s some weird OEM blower, or whatever it is.
  4. 3200mhz RAM is not what I’d buy for a Ryzen system.
  5. The PSU is of some unknown brand that I can see. It’s probably fine. It might not be.

I personally wouldn’t buy it, but I don’t think you’ll hate it. I mean you might hate looking at it. But you probably won’t hate playing on it.

Can I just say, COT DAM that’s an ugly computer.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m just trying to see what’s out there, it’s time to upgrade honestly… I new stuff coming out. I’m sure any PC that’s on the site will run WoW. My ultimate goal is just to not have to upgrade again for a while.

I just have such a hard time with these OEMS.

Expensive parts in some areas, and stupid cost cutting sh*t elsewhere that doesn’t make sense.

Biggest problem is memory. In all of these systems I see horrible configurations of memory. Either expensive GPUs and CPUs, and they either have only single channel or slow RAM.

It’s like just the thing that turns me off totally because it tells me they either don’t know what they’re doing, or just don’t care. It’s probably the latter.

And to me, that’s enough not to buy it.

1 Like

i don’t care for them either but they have a lot of overhead and get stuck with parts that constantly decrease in value. Over charging for parts is their business.

Put that crap in the discount models then. I can’t support that type of behavior for top-end performance models, especially when they’re charging a premium.

You don’t even get the option to go above 3400.

just get a barebones system. Upgrade the the PSU, RAM and GPU yourself. Install a SSD for the game (if needed). Any modern CPU from Intel or AMD will run WoW.

$2,043.00
Intel Core 10th Generation i7-10700K Processor (8 Core, Up to 5.10Ghz, 16MB Cache, 125W)

Windows 10 Home

1TB PCIe M.2 NVMe Class 40 Solid State Drive

2TB 3.5inch SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM)

16GB (1X16GB) 2933MHz DDR4 HyperX XMP Single Channel

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB GDDR6 (OC Ready)

Dell Outlet Alienware Aurora R11

or for $1737

• Certified Refurbished

Intel Core 10th Generation i7-10700 Processor (8 Core, Up to 4.80GHz, 16MB Cache, 65W)

Windows 10 Home

1TB PCIe M.2 NVMe Class 40 Solid State Drive

32GB (2X16GB) 3200MHz DDR4 Non-ECC HyperX XMP Dual Channel

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB GDDR6 (OC Ready)

Dell Outlet Alienware Aurora R11