What's with the quest reward gear

So I’m a player from 2006. I’ve not played since DragonFlight first came out a couple years ago. I expect things to have changed but I never expected the quest reward gear to suck so badly. Up to level 66 I was fine but the last 13 of 15 gear items I’ve received for doing quests have substantially less Mastery, Versatility or both than I received from doing quests when I was level 66?!
As an example, I just received the Heart of Azmerloth - Item Level 322. I got lucky (ahum) and rolled Epic on it so it ended up with 136 Master, YAY right?.. Nope… I was already wearing the GREEN Ohn’ir Pendent - Item Level 266 with 148 Mastery!
I’d been holding all the new gear items in my bag so I tried putting them all on just to make sure there wasn’t some tradeoff I was missing. My block dropped by 3% and my Mastery dropped by 7% while my armor only went up by around 200. I put my old garbage back on.
I know when Wrath came out years ago they made gear drop specific to your class and and spec. Did they decide to turn that off?!

The Heart of Azmerloth has 3 secondary stats on it: Haste, Crit, and Mastery. The Ohn’ir Pendant has only 2 stats: Haste and Mastery.

You appear to be frustrated because you think Crit and Haste provide 0 value. This is a false assumption. As a Prot Paladin, you can use as a heuristic that Mastery and Haste have 1 unit of value, and Crit and Verse have 0.85 units of value. Strength, however, should be 1.5 units of value and the most important thing you’re looking for on your gear.

The true value you get from stats, however, is a function of what the stat actually is at that time.

Thanks for your kind feedback Meatyboi,
The item I mention was, as I noted in the post, an example, one of 13 quest rewards I’d received that gave a negative value on priority stats out of 15 quest rewards in all. I would never get frustrated over a single piece, its the trend that has me wondering.

You suggest I had specific thoughts about Crit or Haste, in fact the only thought I’ve had has been the ongoing and continual erosion of Mastery and Vigilance on all of the pieces I was receiving as rewards. I wasn’t really paying attention to the other stats.

As I mentioned, I put on all the pieces to see what the overall result would be. Block lost 3% and Mastery lost 7%. This on quest rewards that I must use to level.

You should. It’ll make you a lot happier with your situation.

Another thing to keep in mind is that when you gain a level your gear overall gets weaker. How to put this? If you compare yourself to a container that gets bigger each time you level it takes more to fill up. So what filled a kiddie pool isn’t as much in a regular pool. Hopefully I made sense.