Whats up with AMD now?

Yeah not sure what nvidia is doing, my guess they just had extra ram modules so they said f-it

They should probably have done 12gb on the 3070/3080 imo as well. Especially on the 3080, which was marketed as a 4k card.

Although I only play on 1440p on my 3080, it would have been nice to have had more vram. And not have less than the lower-tier 3060 of the same generation.

The 3080 has GDDR6x which is way faster than GDDR6 thus it does not need the same amount of ram or the cost would go way up, aka 3090 price.

Not to mention, even 4k games dont push more than 10GB ram. The ram you see being used in game settings is not correct and 95% of the time way lower then what it’s reporting.

Arguably the 3080, being marketed as a 4k GPU, needs the VRAM more than any other beneath it.

Lower SKU cards are less capable of those resolutions, so more VRAM is kind of pointless outside of professional/mining use.

There are games that get quite close to 10gb in 4k. Especially newer ones. I understand VRAM allocation and VRAM needed are different things, and can’t be determined until you see performance defecit.

The point remains, lower SKUs have less of a reason to have more VRAM than higher SKUs. It’s an odd choice for the lowest SKU to have the most VRAM out of the mainstream cards.

how much is the 3060? Seems like they’re priming us for the drop of a 3080ti and reviving their “Super” line up.

Also seems like some AMD shipment hit Amazon this week since they were taking pre-orders for 5900x this morning at the price of $520.

$329 list

which means $400+

Welp lets hope AMD releases something to offset this assuming supply won’t vanish in 0.5 seconds.

Guess some people will sit on their 1060-1080ti until it explodes.

I just hope that none of my GPUs take a crap on me.

RTX 3080
5700XT
Vega 64
RX 580
RX 570

Only got a lowly 1060 3gb as a backup

I see you’re a man with a plan. If my gpu takes a crap on me suddenly, it’ll just be me and the iphone for awhile.

I don’t drink or anything so this is my only hobby, LOL

It’s partly AMD’s fault too. Who asked them to go fabless. :smiley:

Intel made 76 billion in 2020. AMD made 3.7 billion. Says a lot about company sizes. Intel has their own manufacturing facility and makes their own chips. AMD does not.

I had nothing but issues with my 5800x and 5900x. I am now back on the i9 10900k. AGESA can burn as far as I am concerned. They just have to many issues atm. I dont blame AMD though. I like their chips. I however HATE their motherboards and R&D feeling BIOS

3 Likes

I’m looking at Core i9-11900k and Asus ROG Strix Z590-E. Going to play with that once it is out.

3 Likes

What kind of issues did you have? just not work or instability? I think I’m going to get the 10 core processor for my son and daughter and then probably get the new 11th gen for myself when it comes out. I’m just curious what issues you had with your Ryzen CPU(s)

Instability issues

Everything from Ram to motherboard instability

1 Like

I only have personal long term experience with Gigabyte X370 Gaming and Gigabyte B450 Aorus M. Helped a friend build a 3800x on an ASUS TUF X570 Gaming WiFi and it worked but memory was a pain to get 3600 to work right.

Normally I love Gigabyte but these boards BIOS were trash, and they had all sorts of issues from SATA detection, memory training (MAJOR issues), excruciatingly long post times, and random behavior (windows doesn’t shut down/restart properly, strange overall behavior).

The X370 finally just stopped detecting SATA drives no matter how many times I reset the BIOS, and the B450 is fine now on my 1600 AE at 3.9ghz and 3200mhz Corsair LPX RAM. It actually functions almost perfectly 99% of the time now after updating the BIOS to the most recent one (this is after updating it about 3-4 times earlier in its life).

I might want to grab a CPU upgrade on it at some point, but eh…it’s not a priority.

I don’t know how long the IMC will last though, or the chip in general. It’s running on a +0.156 offset (1.39ish volts) and 1.2v SoC.

Tested Prime95 FFT 80 for 1 hour at DDR4-3600 C16. No issue for me. Thats for Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master F31 (no alphabets is final BIOS) with AGESA 1.1.0.0 D. I have to agree that we are “beta testing” on oc features is ridiculous.

Stock and XMP DDR4-3200 14-14-14-34 works out of the box for me.

1 Like

Xbox, PS5 are competing for wafer space.

Microcenter has the 5K series CPUs in stores a lot even though their site is not updated. However you have to actually go inside the store.

I really wish they’d make an entrance into northern California somewhere

I wish I had one near me :cry:.
People telling me they’re buying 5K AMD chips in there all the time.

1 Like