What's the point of letting the Forsaken be?

Perhaps if the alliance wasn’t so interested in other peoples lands, they might not need to be so worried about this so called horde aggression. To the best of my knowledge the horde has never even been remotely in the position to impinge upon Stormwind-Ironforge territory.

1 Like

right. cause the Horde have never attacked any alliance land before trying to take it for themselves… come on you gotta really be daft to think this.

You seem to be ignoring that Alliance forces were stretched thin elsewhere. Setting aside troops to guard a ruin would be a monumental blunder in the context of BFA, especially after having refused to help the Night Elves retake Darkshore. It would risk losing the war entirely and further expanding the developing rift between Anduin and Tyrande.

My hope is that the Alliance will not ever get Lordaeron back, but will always be trying to get it back.

To me, that story is a wonderful example of a poignant doomed dream: The Lordaeron claimants’ (the in-universe ones) drive to reclaim Lordaeron isn’t really about getting the land back even if they themselves believe that is their motivation, even if they try to be realists, but that drive is truly fueled by a desire to restore the Lordaeron that still lives in their memory.

It’s about recreating the world where they were safe and secure, certain in their present and their future, with only mundane worries… the time before their lives were shattered, their loved ones killed and/or turned into monsters (as they view Forsaken, even if they believe Forsaken not to be mindless monsters), their homeland lost, and their mundane life turned into a desperate struggle to survive in the face of soul-crushing horror.

And that dream is impossible, because the past can’t be put back together again. Even a reclaimed and rebuilt Lordaeron for the living would be a completely different place. But it is a wonderfully sad story to watch characters hold onto that dream, and I want to keep this story beat for that reason.

I think the Forsaken should be the ones to get the story out of the new Lordaeron, the one that exists in the now rather than the one that exists in the past or in its survivors’ dreams for the future. But those survivors should keep those dreams, and keep trying to make them a reality - and thus reinforce why the Forsaken cannot entirely trust the living, and must always be vigilant at defending the new nation they lived in, died in, and live in again.

5 Likes

I think the Forsaken story would be best if it was based around the Feral scourge and saving the mindless unead that are in Northrend. Have them carve out a new kingdom in a land to hostile for any other race(weather wise) and find a way to save mindless undead and induct them into the Forsaken. Think of the powerful undead they could liberate and bring into the fold. They could base themsevles in Icecrown citadel now the Lichking is gone. They could fight these Undead warlords trying to control the Scourge.

I think that is far better than cleaning up the sewers they were living in so they can move back underground.

If I recall, the Alliance did try that.
Several Table missions involved objectives in northern Eastern Kingdoms, both from Alliance and Horde.
It’s just that, in the end, the only ground the Alliance was able to actually hold was Arathi.

So it’s not like they just didn’t bother.

They literally razed and captured both of these cities before.

2 Likes

… I know you mean they were killed by the orcs and their bones used to build the road, but now I want a zone with a big road who sometimes turns into a giant mobile sentient world boss

4 Likes

Sure, but for the history of wow the new horde has never looked like it had the faintest desire or ability to threaten these places. Whereas the alliance or alliance friends have a long history in WoW of strangling the hordes major population centres.

2 Likes

Brah, the “new Horde” nuked three cities in blight, mana and trans-continental catapults. Alliance has literally never destroyed one Horde city.

Are we playing the same game?

1 Like

just three?

blighted Gilneas
blighted Southshore and Hillsbrad
bomb-bombed a druid school
Mana-bombed Theramore
torched Teldrassil
blight-bombed Undercity
torched part of Stormwind

3 Likes

Geez…I didn’t even know about this one…
Where was that?

stonetalon mountains

Garrosh actually disapproved of that one

1 Like

The forsaken don’t need to leave Lordaeron in order to do the “rehab former scourge” thing. There’s plenty of undead about all over. Worst case scenario, they can import zombies from Northrend instead of sending their entire population up north.

And yeah I agree with all of this. I don’t want to see some kind of reconciliation between living humans and forsaken; it kinda ruins what little is left of the horde’s purpose in the story. Not to mention it makes no sense after BFA.

The alliance is written to be too weirdly tolerant, anyway.

2 Likes

I don’t think we are.

Alliance has always had a string of forts that threaten Durotar. Mulgore has dwarves
ransacking their burial grounds.

Theramore was always a potential threat. Alliance use it as an invasion point and suprise surprise it gets destroyed.

The forsaken stop alliance setting up shop in Hillsbrad which is right next to Lordaeron, the Forsaken capital.
The advance upon the nightelves was also defensive in nature, to secure long term peace. Allegedly.

Some forts and burial grounds is on the same level of leveling entire cities full of people? O…k…

Ah, you are trolling me…

The point is not whether burial grounds are on the same level as the sacking of a society, but whether those cities would have been sacked without provocation.

If the horde had a major settlement say on an island off the coast of westfall, which they used for raiding and pillaging. The alliance then destroys that town. The overarching narrative then condemns the alliance as evil villains for doing so. Would that be a fair narrative or not?

1 Like

Graverobbing to nuking is one hell of a leap.

I think the word you are looking for is military base. Towns are not used for “raiding and pillaging”. But the answer would still be no:

“In the practical art of war, the best thing of all is to take the enemy’s country whole and intact; to shatter and destroy it is not so good. So, too, it is better to recapture an army entire than to destroy it, to capture a regiment, a detachment or a company entire than to destroy them.”

-Sun Tzu

If it helps, the school was almost certainly empty at the time. The Alliance-side quests are all about getting the students to safety before the bomb drops.

1 Like

I genuinely don’t know what makes you think that there are now more living former Lordaeronians than there are Forsaken. Not only are demographics an absolutely nonexisting notion in WoW as it’s been said (there will always be enough of < race > for them to do whatever the writers want them to do ; that includes the Kaldorei and even the Ren’dorei), nothing has ever hinted at that.

Anyway. That book is closed. Both the kingdom and the city of Lordaeron are gone, they’ve been replaced respectively by the Forsaken and the Undercity. The Forsaken are not Lordaeron 2.0, they’re a brand new nation founded on widely different principles and on the basis of a widely different racial composition. This nation has joined the Horde, and the Alliance trying to retake “Lordaeron” will immediately bring about the Fifth War, which is something you do not want (and which is, according to the devs, out of the picture anyway).

Lordaeron ded. Better give some actual screentime and development to Human kingdoms that have been largely unexplored like Stromgarde and Alterac instead (especially since Stromgarde has been restored and is effectively part of the Alliance).

5 Likes