What's the most powerful artifact weapon?

Lately in my spare time I’ve been doing some reading about the various artifact weapons, and it got me thinking about which artifact might be the most powerful. Admittedly I haven’t played through every order hall, only Monk, Shaman, Mage and Paladin. So my knowledge of the subject is perhaps not as extensive as some of you.

I think it would be difficult to narrow down a singular most powerful artifact–because it’s an opinion and subjective–but I also think it would be fun to try. If you can’t nominate one, maybe suggest what two you think are tied for most powerful, and why.

Probably biased, but I would say the Fist of Ra-den (and the Highkeeper’s Ward) is a top contender. It was a weapon given to Highkeeper Ra by Aman’thul himself, wielded against the Black Empire, and used to create the Mogu race. Even Lei Shen, the proclaimed Thunder King, was not able to wield the Fist of Ra-den.

So, what do you think? I would love to hear opinions.

In terms or pure raw damage potential I’d have to say the Scepter of Sargeras.

8 Likes

Would the Sword of Sargeras count?

1 Like

Pretty sure we’re talking specifically about the Order Hall weapons from Legion, so the moon-sized sword is out.

Scepter of Sargeras is a good bet. It was at the center of the ritual that blew up Draenor, which is a larger act of sheer destruction than any artifact can even approach. It’s not really a weapon at all, more like a dimensional key that the player cynically uses as a weapon.

7 Likes

Xala’tat
Aluneth
Scepter of Sargeras
Scepter of Tides
Apocalypse

All of them are able to destroy an entire world, Apocalypse and Scepter of Sargeras did it actually

2 Likes

It might if any of us could actually use the thing like the other artifact weapons.

I think it depends on who wields it, what they know about it, and how they use it.

My top 2: The Scepter of Sargeras seems very powerful. Same with Aluneth. Those would be my top 2.

Xalatath… I do not feel qualifies. It has a will of its own. It may be the most powerful on its own, but it is unreliable as a weapon. If it wants to do something else, it will up and leave you. So it is very powerful on its own, but not reliable.

2 Likes

Scepter of Sargeras definitely seems the most ridiculous, seeing as if you use it wrong you can tear apart a planet, let alone if you meant to. But the Maw of the Damned and Fangs of the Devourer seemed insane in their own right.

As far as I can tell, the Maw of the Damned is the same concept as Frostmourne, but has successfully devoured the souls of ‘countless planets.’ With Frostmourne already being a huge threat with only having wiped out a few kingdoms, I could only imagine what the Maw would be capable of.

Then you have the Fangs of the Devourer (sub rogue artifact), which were so infused with concentrated void they could pierce and mold reality to shape things around the user. Seems the fangs can canonically let the user go completely invisible, take the guise of anyone (and perfectly mimic their voice/posture), and are infinitely sharp. Is it as strong as the Scepter of Sargeras? Not in raw power, but I think the Fangs never got the credit they deserved as a seriously powerful artifact during legion.

(Speculative): I would say, Aluneth. Much of what it says leads me to believe it might be an entity even stronger than the Titans. Hard to say for sure. It certainly talks as if it’s at least their equal.

1 Like

Surprised no one brought up the Deadwind Harvester. It’s certainly not the scepter, but it definitely left its mark on Azeroth.

Meanwhile Warriors get particularly good Beatin’ sticks.

2 Likes

And a scale of pre-corruption Deathwing if you’re prot.

The other two specs’ items might be a bit forgettable, but using the scale of Neltharion the Earth-Warder as a shield is pretty cool.

1 Like

Oh I’m not griping that the Artifact weapons weren’t cool.

Just on the whole lore power scale thing they’re closer to a particularly sturdy 2x4 than they are to the more powerful ones.

Light’s Wrath was surprisingly powerful. Nowhere near the scale of some of the others, but it took out an entire town in the Plaguelands.

Oh yeah, compared to the Sceptre of “oops just teared a hole in reality, I’m sure it’ll be fine”, a shield that can spit out a little gout of fire isn’t much to look at.

The Ashbringer, but t hat’s highly dependent upon the wielder. Not everyone is a Mograine after all.

Tank Demon Hunter’s blade is one of the only weapons in all of warcraft to injure Sargeras.

Realistically, Maw of the Damned should’ve been able to eat the power in Sargeras’s sword all on its own and still been left unsated.

Still have a tiny piece of me that’s bitter that Broxigar’s axe wasn’t the Arms weapon.

8 Likes

Pretty sure that weapon also gets stronger either after every battle or kill, something like that.

Essentially any Artifact that gets stronger with every battle, kill, soul steal etc. is a contender for top.

You also gotta take into account, are you ranking who can do just the most straight destruction indiscriminately, a more focused power that can target who and what, or in a battle you’ll essentially become an unkillable god against anyone who tries to fight blade to blade.

1 Like

Hard to argue against Xal’atath. Weapon is also an Old God.