What's the logic to capping gear behind CR?

I have no agenda here. As someone who now sits on the doorstep of 1600 in RBGs and is very worried about once again dropping to the low 1400s, I hate the system.

But rather than complain, I’m asking if I’m missing something.

6 Likes

BlizZard saw WotLK gear design and copied it. Except they forgot to copy the class design/class balance, glyph system, talent trees, gear with resilience, gem slots that were guaranteed and fixed and smaller gaps between high end and low end gear.

:surfing_woman: :surfing_man:

14 Likes

Pretty aggravating actually. 1400-1600 in arena is a death trap this expansion, and with rated BGs it is basically pure chance on if I can get good teams or not. I made it to 1599 in rated over the weekend and then lost two games.

Arena is just expecting new players to “earn” the next tier of upgrades by beating players who already have it. This is the least rewarding gear progression system I think I have ever participated in. Haven’t gained a single pvp ilvl in like 3 weeks.

14 Likes

I figured Blizzard has some stats showing poor participation rates in rated, so they thought forcing people into rated is the big brain solution.

8 Likes

In that sense, it definitley worked. Lol

1 Like

This system actually has me close to a breaking point. I refuse to do Rated Bgs so im trying to push 1400 in arenas. The lower ratings are plagued with carries and people who are already upgraded so its just a strug.

6 Likes

They did that in WotLK and yeah it didn’t work because they needed to feed the bottom of the ladder.

In WotLK reaching 1600 with a .500 record was easy and that was back then when teams were still a thing. In WotLK you could reach 1400 with a winning percentage of .400 meaning slightly more losses than wins. Today it seems that 1400 is like climbing to 1800 back in WotLK. Plus, with all the sim sites, guides, boosters these days and the arena ladder needs a massive revamp.

2 Likes

Truly, not to be insulting, but after 350 matches of 2’s and no 1400–why would you limit yourself by denying the easiest way to get the gear you feel you need to be competitive in arena?

I pushed 14something on a 26k health Hpal weeks back, I can assure you the mostly 35k+ people I was matched against did not have any moral issue getting their gear from RBGs, and some of them won as a result.

1 Like

They don’t want the gear you earn from random BG’s to make you viable in random BG’s. :man_shrugging: Gotta participate in rated to escape the stompfest in casual formats.

5 Likes

Thats the real issue. This pvp season has gone on for too long. Everyone has all the gear and are now doing carries for money for friends. I won’t step foot in 2s

They also forget to copy significantelly lower gear difference between the begining and end (exp end). They also forget to include BIS gear for honor that you could get almost from the begining

1 Like

If you were doing random bg’s and could kill 3 Bosses in ICC it worked perfectlly

Yeah the upgrading honor gear nonsense didn’t exist and base honor gear had plenty of resilience. Only issue with WotLK was no honor PVP weapon.

1 Like

They def knew those details, they were just too lazy to implement all of them and now we got this pvp mess.

1 Like

As many said in the PVP thread on the PTR forums the rating lock was designed to deter PVE players feeling forced PVP for upgrades.

But that clearly didn’t work so BlizZard is going with plan B which is PVP scaling differently in PVP with a higher level. Meanwhile PVP gear also will be a base ilevel lower outside of PVP combat.

I believe that it was OK because PvPer had to ingage in different type of content and PvEers had to ingage with PvP community. It was very common when PvErs became PvPer and vise versa

Well not exactly.

BlizZard didn’t like that PVE players were using PVP honor weapons in BC as entry level PVE gear.

So in WotLK they eliminated PVP honor weapon so PVE players didn’t feel forced to do PVP.

Should’ve been more clear. It is my opinion, I was saying that I supported that idea. Plus 1.4k Arena points was not so hard to get if you were winning Big PvP. You also were getting access to the Raid where you could get PvP and PvE gear. Aslo, if you had Lego weapon it was GG and fun

1 Like

No matter which way you slice it’s a ship show inside of a dumpster fire inside a giant tire fire.

Question is, what will change in Season 2?

3 Likes