What's the fastest way to level weaker pets?

I already have a set of 25s but I want more coverage.

And where are the Epic/Legendary pets? Battle Pets has been out for a good while. Can we finally at least get these pets or will the NPC just keep cheating and using them? Really puts a damper when I want to use a high speed Pet but the NPCs just cheat to have way higher speed no matter what.

Epic pets, or leveling pets beyond 25, was considered years ago. Almost all of the pet community hated the idea. Would mean the great pet collection they’d spent so much time building would suddenly be obsolete. Pet PvP would become even more newcomer unfriendly than it was before.

A lot of the pet battles are deliberately designed to be hard and there are strategies to win each of them. Yeah, it means you need the right pets with the right abilities, like you need the right gear and skills to survive dungeons and raids.

4 Likes

“One set.”

I don’t mean to chuckle, but it brings to mind a one-time poster that appeared once in this group. And he was complaining that his “team” wasn’t doing so well. His “team.” Evidently, he thought his team of three 25 level pets was enough and he could just go around and win against pretty much anything out there.

I would say for most of us here, including myself, pets are the primary focus of our gaming experience. The other stuff is, at best, a distant second place for us.

Look at our collections. We have hundreds. I have 1127 unique pets, all leveled to 25, and mine is one of the smaller collections here. But don’t worry. You can still be quite successful as a pet battler with a much smaller collection. It’s just that you need the right pets. I would say, with the right pets, you could do very well with PvE with about 50 pets.

Epic and Legendary pets are boss pets that we bring our pets to fight. And they are not available to us. Nor should they be. Because if we started collecting those, the Devs would just have to come with “ultra-legendary” pets to give us challenges.

For a collection of your size, I would say go out and find 25 level pets in the wild and challenge them. You swap them in, then bring in one of your heavy hitters to clean up.

I see you have a 25th level Anubisath Idol. And for the purposes of leveling your low-level pets, you couldn’t ask for a better pet. He’s awesome. He’s slow, but he gets the job done.

Say you’re out gallivanting around Dragon’s Isle and you see a pet you might like to add to your collection. Swoop on down and land next to the pet. Don’t land too close if you have Dragon Rider’s Initiative. AoEs will kill pets in the wild quite easily. And that goes for you, too. If you have to fight a mob in order to get to the pet you want, no AoEs. Pets in the wild are just glorified ubiquitous critters. They have very tiny health pools. They couldn’t survive an AoE from even a first level toon. If it gets caught in your AoE, it’s dead.

So, once you challenge the pet, you might want to use Anubisath Idol to get it down in health sufficiently to capture it. Use Sandstorm, then Crush. Once you capture your new pet, bring in your baby pet. Hopefully Sandstorm is still going to mitigate any damage. Then swap it right back out again immediately. It does not have to attack. Just swap it in and out. Bring back Anubisath, or your Dream Whelpling is an excellent choice to bat clean up. Use Emerald Bite, Emerald Presence and Healing Flame.

If baby pet dies when it’s swapped in (or afterwards) don’t worry; it will still collect experience when you win.

Get blue stones, by the way, to adjust your pets to Rare quality. Your Dream Whelpling is a great pet, but it’s only level 23 and Poor quality. Two of three fights with pets in the wild and a blue stone (which can be purchased from your Garrison Merchant in the Menagerie, or in Dalaran, the Legion version) will bring your Dream Whelpling up to a 25th level Rare quality.

Graves (which I’m jealous of, since I don’t have it) is also a good pet to bat cleanup for you. Once you’ve captured the pet and swap in the baby pet and swap it out again, just use your Anubisath Idol, your Graves or Dream Whelpling, and wipe out the other team. And your baby pet will gain levels fast.

Once you’ve added some essential pets, we can show you how to use tamers to level even more pets.

ETA: In looking at your collection, I see you have an Ikky. Level that pet up at once. And get a blue stone to make him Rare quality. Ikky is one of the best pets in the game. Black Claw and Flock is a devastating combination, especially with Ikky’s high strength stat, plus his speed as a flying pet.

Also, try to get a Boneshard from the Auction House. Boneshard and Ikky is the very bane of Mechanical pets. It’s my go-to for every mechanical Boss pet I see. First, use Boneshard. Cast Blistering Cold on the mob, every time it’s off CD, and use Chop as a filler. Then, when Boneshard dies, just bring in Ikky, then Black Claw, then Flock. And watch the mechanical boss mob die to a 1000 paper cuts.

2 Likes

I would do more random pet battles that more but every encounter is 3 pets so I gotta manage my game time. That and a fight leaves me drained in-between them so gotta wait for the heal to refresh.

I should have more free time to battle out in the world more once I finish Legionfall and WoD chapters on this character. I’m so close but geez, Legionfall is so draining. I’m only doing it so I can tame more Hunter Pets. The mounts okay too.

I’ll look into Boneshard as Mecha pets are pretty hard at times.

I didn’t know Ikky was that good, I’ll give him a try.

Okay, then I would repeat what I just said. Get a Boneshard, and get Ikky all levelled up.

Then watch the dailies in BFA. Because they can give special rewards. Sometimes they give just BfA resources, so I ignore those. But other times, they give bandages (so you can heal your pets with one click without waiting the eight minutes for the pet heal function). They also give leveling stones, to help you level your pets. Each stone gives 2K XP. If you want to use a leveling stone to level your pet, just summon the pet so it appears next to you. Target your pet that you’re levelling, then click on the levelling stone. Voila!

They can also give blue stones to upgrade your pets to Rare quality. Sometimes, they give polished pet charms, so they can be used to buy pets, more blue stones to upgrade your pets, more levelling stones, etc.

2 Likes

When I’m leveling my pets in the wild, I use a level 25 (rare/blue) pet that can heal its self while doing damage to the opponent. This really cuts down on waiting for the “Revive Battle Pet” spell to regenerate, or using pet bandages.

The wild tamable pet I have found that can do this very well is:

Twilight Spider (PP breed) - best against critters
Use spells [Poison Spit] + [Brittle Webbing] + [Leech Life]
these spells will both defeat the opponent and heal your spider.

Also, you can buy a Cinderweb Realuse battle pet from the auction house usually for under 300 gold, and this pet is also good for battling wild critters and beasts. I use spells [Consume] + [Brittle Webbing] + [Leech Life], using the same strategy as with the Twilight Spider.

I like to train my lower level pets in Pandaria, Valley of the Four Winds. Specifically the fields West of Halfhill. This area is plentiful with wild critters, making it a good spot for training,

Team = lvl 25 Twilight Spider > level per #1 > level pet #2

I hope that helps.

1 Like

In looking at your collection, I think I see one tamer that you could easily defeat and safely get a lot of experience for your pet. Only drawback is that you can only do it once a day. But still, it’s a nice little daily errand. And it’s on Draenor, so there are other pets around in the wild that you can bring your pet to and get even more experience.

Question: Do you have a Garrison? If so, what level?

2 Likes

I have a 3rd level garrison on my Hunter.

Perfect. Now get your menagerie to level 3. By the blueprints and level it up.

After you get to level 2 with your menagerie, Lio the Lioness will give you a very simple quest. You need to go to the excavation mine on your Garrison to look at a stone for her, which will take you less than a minute and without any danger. Once you return, she will give you one purple stone. This stone will level any pet you want from level 1 to 25. Please note, it will not improve the quality. A poor quality pet will remain a poor quality pet, but a blue stone will improve it to rare quality. So, level up any pet you want. Summon the pet you want to level, target it, then right click on the purple stone in your inventory. Then voila! Your level 1 is now a level 25.

Now, on to the daily quest. There is, in Shadowmoon Valley, a pet tamer called Ashlei, a Draenei child. And out of all pet tamers in WoW, she gives more pet experience than any other tamer. If you have pet battles marked on your map, you’ll see her. She’ll be a green paw print on your map.

Fly out to her, challenge her to a pet battle, then use this strategy, with the pets you have.

You need a line up of three pets, of course. First slot, use Lil Tarecgosa, with Breath in the first slot. Second slot, Darkmoon Tonk with Missile in the first slot and Minefield in the second slot.

Third slot, the pet you want to level. We call pets that we want to level “carry pets,” because they don’t fight. They’re just there to collect experience, hence they are “carried.”

So, Lil’ Tarecgosa, Breath in first slot.
Darkmoon Tonk, Missile in first slot, Minefield in second slot.
Carry pet.

Tarecgosa will go first, against Pixibell. Use Breath until Pixibell dies.
As soon as Pixibell dies, switch to Darkmoon Tonk. Darkmoon Tonk will face Doodle.
Use Minefield. Doodle will put itself to sleep.
Use Missile. Doodle will swap out before Missile goes off, and Tally will come in.
Tally will eat the Minefield you set and catch your Missile right in the kisser. If Tally is still alive, one more Missile will finish him off.
Doodle comes back in. So, you switch to Carry Pet.

Oh, my God! What are you thinking??? Sending a level 1 pet against a pet like Doodle, with his devastating attacks! Doodle will wipe out your whole team AND your Hunter!

Just kidding. Doodle is completely harmless. He has absolutely no offensive attacks. He can’t even harm your pet indirectly. He’ll just sit there and give off cute little hearts until you kill him.

Bring back Lil’ Tarecgosa. Use Breath until Doodle dies.

Turn in the quest with Ashlei, and collect money and some Shiny Pet Charms.

Your carry pet will gain a huge amount of experience.

2 Likes

Ah, this sounds great. Thanks, I’m currently doing the riding quests.

I can’t get the blueprints for Level 3 yet of the Menagerie. Says I need a cheevo first.

Just get it to level 2, then. You’ll still get the quest for the Purple Stone. And, at your level, everything is trivial to you. The achievement will be no issue. Trust me on this one. If you really want to level pets, you want a level three Menagerie in your Garrison.

There is Squirt days, which will allow you to do a repeatable quest all day if you want, that gives out a ton of experience. Not quite as much as Ashlei, but still a lot.

Also, there are daily challenges in a level three Garrison that gives out rewards, including new pets.

I’m seeing that there’s a daily in BfA, specifically at Stormsong Valley, called Automated Chaos. If you could figure out some way to defeat it, it will give you a free blue stone to turn a pet to Rare Quality. Your Ikky or your Dream Whelpling would like it.

Those are mechanical pets, so they are vulnerable to Elemental attacks. If you captured three Fel Flames on Draenor, in the northern Tanaan Jungle, they’d do the job.

1 Like

By the way, if you have any alts who have also reached the point where they can see the dailies in BfA, you can repeat the request on any of your alts and get the reward again. So, if you get the blue stone, go back on an alt, and get it again. Get it as many times as you have alts.

ETA: It occurs to me that there is something else you could be doing. There is a pet that you can get that will take down just about anything. It might take a while. But if you’ve tried everything else and you want something that has a chance at working, go and capture three P/P Emperor Crabs. You’ll find them in Pandaria.

Which is as good a time as any to talk about breeds.

Every pet has a specific breed. What this means is, every pet has a set of baseline statistics, then there are additional points added over its Health, Power and Speed.

Not every pet comes in every single breed. In fact, very few of them do. Some pets have only one breed. Your Anubisath Idol only comes in one breed: H/H. What this means is, he has of his three baseline stats, Health, Power and Speed, all his bonus points were put into his Health. Power and Speed were untouched.

Your Ikky only comes in one breed: P/S. Which means 45% of his points are put into his Power, and 45% are put into his Speed. His health is untouched.

Now you may be thinking that that’s only 90% of his total point allotment, so what happened to the other 10%? When it’s distributed over two stats, each stat only gets 45% of the total allotment.

Your Darkmoon Tonk only comes in one breed. H/P, which means 45% goes into health, and 45% goes into his power.

Then there are breeds in which one stat is emphasized, and the remaining points are shared over the other two stats. For instance, H/B, P/B and S/B. The B stands for Balance. The emphasized stat gets 45% of the points, and the other two get 20% each. Yes, that’s only 85% of the allotted total.

But the more spread the stat distribution is, the fewer extra points you get.

Finally, there is B/B, in which all three stats get the same number of added points, 25% each. Yes, that’s only 75%.

The reason I mention this is that Emperor Crabs come in two breeds: H/H and P/P. Most here would recommend the P/P over the H/H, because Power not only determines how hard the pet strikes, but how strong its healing is.

The Emperor Crab can take down almost anything. The problem is that it might be very slow going. The reason for this is that you have to maintain two effects while you attack.

Use Surge, Renewing Mists, and Shell Shield. Maintain Renewing Mists (last 3 turns) and Shell Shield (lasts 5 turns) and strike with Surge when you can. Shell Shield mitigates the damage and Renewing Mists heals you.

When all else fails, an Emperor Crab might be what you need.

Finally, how do you tell what breed you have? Compare the stats on your Emperor Crab, when you catch one, to this graphic on WoWhead. Because the crabs you catch will be dropped down to 22 or 23 in level, you can adjust the slider for the level, and select whether the one you caught was poor, common, uncommon or rare. Then compare the stats to the two breeds available, and you’ll know what breed you have. Release the H/H and keep the P/P.

There is very little that could stand up to three P/P Emperor Crabs. The fight might take a while, but it gets the job done.

2 Likes

Best way is to use two 2000xp battle stones to get a level 1 pet to level 11, then face Squirt in the garrison when she’s available, in two battles with Squirt which takes about 2+2=4 minutes, your pet will be level 25. I use the Enchanted Broom and Weebomination combo to level 3rd pets at Squirt. You can also buy mystery bags and hope for 2 pet battle stones per bag, and level up that way.

1 Like

All great advice.

For Ashlei, if you can get a level 25 blue Mechanical Pandarian Dragonling, you can use it to level two pets.

Put the MPD in first, with breath, air strike and target dummy. Drop the dummy and breathe on the first pet until it dies. Doodles comes in, breathe once then air strike. Breathe again and it will swap to the next pet. Breathe, when dummy is off CD use it, otherwise breathe. Air drop wil hit and your MPD may die but will come back and you will finish off that one with breathe. When only Doodles is left, swap in both your level pets and swap back to MPD and finish off Doodles and your pets are leveled.

I keep a alt there that does the quest each day, and the alt gets xp as well. With all the bonus xp items for pets (hat, hot dog and burger), you can get a level 1 to 13 in one battle.

1 Like