What's the difference in skill between these ratings

and then 2900-3100

i just don’t get it. after 2200 it seems like everyone knows the game pretty thoroughly and with how pruned things are, it seems lioke pvp is almost scripted and reactive. Like what is there RMPs stuck at 2400 but then at 2600 it feels like playing they all play the same?

Yea its pretty scripted but the goes are cleaner every 100 rating imo. Lesser mistakes made, lesser overlapping of CDs. Coordinated communication is the best part about the rank 1s I think. Dilly might be able to give a better explanation.

rating go higher button press go gooder

24 Likes

36 Likes

Anecdotal, but here’s how I feel about rating gain while playing a viable spec and a viable comp. (Non-FOTM)

1400 Beginner own-class comprehension, minimal other-class comprehension.

1600 Intermediaye own-class comprehension, beginner other-class comprehension. Beginner composition knowledge.

1800 Advanced own-class knowledge, intermediate other-class knowledge. Intermediate composition knowledge. Macro use tends to evolve, such as focus kicks. Situational awareness tends to evolve beginning with dps collectively knowing when to swap together.

2000 Further evolved situational awareness, creative strategy begins to develop (i.e. cyclone to prevent void shift or other big heal/shield cds).

2100+ Increased situational awareness, advanced all-class comprehension. Routine activities from 1800-2000 range get polished, timing improves.

2200+ Team synergy and healer proficiency. I feel like 2200+ depends disproportionately on how good your healer is.

2 Likes

you can fluctuate hundreds of rating without playing better or worse due to what you queue into, who you queue with, season inflation, etc

so the numbers don’t mean much imo

3 Likes

1400: i happend to press “h” and what is this rated thing, let me try it
1600: i can press most buttons in my spell book
1800: i can do my rotation correctly if i am not a dh/rogue
2100: i happen to be a 9 gushing rogue/dh XD

honestly for all those people who get to >2200 with 9 gushing dh/rogue or fire mage/warlock, i highly doubt how much they can climb with marksman hunter or enhance shaman or outlaw rogue or fury warrior : )

game is literally dog sh1t now… i used to complain here so much about warlock/fire mage and even dh is 2s. now this is just beyond fixable. lets just hope for SL

1 Like

There are some pretty complex concepts in arena that even in a pruned arena separate players pretty hard. Positioning is a massive one/proper swaps are another. Pretty sure below like 2600 these concepts are completely foreign. Another obvious thing is just speed. Purge kicking divine favors, killing groundings to kick a shaman, spell reflecting coils, grounding traps, knowing what cc is important to stop and what isn’t. Honestly there’s a ton of mini games in every match up and the high rated players just do it faster and better.

As someone who has always hovered around 2.1k, I think the greatest leap in skill is from 2200 to 2400. Obviously I haven’t been anywhere near the top of the ladder so my experience is anecdotal, but playing against someone who’s 2400 versus someone who is 2200 is like playing a completely different video game.

at some point improvement stops being about how well u play ur own class and more about

how good ur comp is
how well u play ur specific comp as a team
how knowledgeable u are about ur matchups
how many mistakes u are not making

individual player skill is nearly entirely irrelevant in 2020

2 Likes

I healed a warlock to 2100 last season who didn’t have a single kick macro, never imp dispelled, and would never ever recast gate. They simply relied on being able to bully others due to their class being stupid.

There’s DH’s at 2200+ right now in 2s who don’t think to use imprison on their off target when doing a go to start any kind of cross CC, who blur air because someone looked at them wrong, who fel rush into walls, who die ten minutes into a match without ever pressing darkness, who don’t cover mana rift with fel eruption or imprison.

Certain classes (Warlock, Mage, Rogue, DH, DK, probably WW considering FOF go brrrrrr) that you can get a lot of rating on with zero active braincells.

1 Like

An old post of mine asking the same thing, really good breakdown in there

didnt read any of this, only difference between 1400 and 2200 is doing more damage on the right targets

people just make less mistakes the higher you go. (at least from the 29-32 range)

In some ways games are easier at 27 than at 24 as people kick when they should and do things when they should so you can predict them better.

I’ve also noticed around that 24 cutoff it seems like people are trying really hard as they are trying to get their glad wins. but the people in the 25-28 no mans land just kinda yolo.

1 Like

Efficiency, proper decision making, better game knowledge are pmuch what seperates players. It’s not necessarily one thing at a time, because a 2.4 player could be good at some things like doing damage/setting up, but suck at living and knowing the best strats. Opposite coulf happen too

Sometimes even small differences exist in the very best (even w/ my example of living vs killing). It just depends. There’s a lot of things you can be doing to contribute to your victories/losses, so it’s more of just overall how many positive things you do which seperates players

2400 rmpal vs a 2800 rmpal is big daddy zez telling the mage and rogue exactly what global to push where to move to what to push. Basically vocalizing playing two other classes while playing my own while a 2400 rmpal is no voice big daddy zez