What's the deal with overwolf

Yeah I wouldn’t keep anything worth any Value on my computer. That’s just asking to be scammed.

I hope you know how ransomware works.
Whether or not you store things locally, your system is still compromised regardless.

1 Like

Oh no not my system :man_facepalming:

If you’re driving a car purchased 2010+, it’s also got a computer.

oh, that’d be such a shame if it was one of those self driving cars.

anyway, while people are busy having to re-format their hard drive and reinstall windows, I’ll be…

…over here not using overwolf or twitch.

Yeah nah. I don’t think I’ll be getting my add ons through my car.

I can confirm wowup is a great alternative. It loads faster for one thing, at least for me.

1 Like

The point was that ransomware could be installed on your computer, regardless of what you think of it, and you’re just as much of a nerd for playing WoW as any of us.

Honestly, just let them do their thing. Call it a “natural selection” of sorts.

Never said anyone was any more of a nerd, I’m still not downloading any wow add ons with my car.

Well, that’s a definite positive. I’m glad you aren’t. :slight_smile:

overwolf certainly sucks. That being said. I got attacked because i simply stated i install mods manually… that somehow translated to “i support overwolf” by a person who perhaps had few more paint chips than needed.

all i had to do was install the .exe from that prince in Nigeria! i was going to be on easy street!

1 Like

Can people still manually install addons or will you have to use overwolf app for wow?

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I’m not willing to scroll up and read the drama so I’m assuming that someone mistook your alleged suggestion that downloading them manually is viable for being somehow complacent in this most unfortunate development.

Either way, there are always alternatives.

When Adblock basically went against their whole existence by whitelisting adds that they are paid / bribed to allow, I uninstalled adblock and looked for one of the THOUSANDS of alternative ad blockers available. I haven’t looked back.

You do not have to use overwolf, and you should not.

You can either
A) install them manually or
B) use an alternative addon manager (there’s different kinds, people suggested them in other threads)

1 Like

yup i feel ya. went ublock origin super fast.

Trouble is, compromised PCs can go on to become parts of a botnet affecting the rest of us as well.

You can still manully install apps, which is probably what I am going for after twitch stops.

like ive said previously, i wouldnt be surprised if overwolf doesnt allow manual downloads and only lets you search for addons on the site, making you download through the app. kinda like magnet links

The line you quoted is only about the privacy concerns. The rest is indeed truth. The program is heavy, it does suck, it is polluted and it has an overlay that is indeed known for conflicting with games and other overlays causing them to lag or crash sometimes.

It’s polluted now? Someone call the EPA!