What's the deal with overwolf

In theory yes, in practice, we are living in it.

Overwolf is taking over CUrseforge from Twitch .

The issue is they are trying to get other mod sites shut down .

1 Like

I can’t believe I’m actually going to say this… but I agree. GE and Disney being the most egregious at the practice.

these broad stroke statements are funny. Capitalism is just this abstract concept for an economic system that has been developed over time. Sometimes this economic system creates monopolies that stiffle freedom and competition.

Sometimes that same economic system resulted in the computer you are using to type that very coment on this very thread.

:thinking:

Arizona is nice

The program suck, it’s filled with a ton of useless crap, it’s heavy and is known to cause issues with games.
There are privacy concerns with how they use data too, although to be honest i have not looked at these issues myself so idk if it’s truth or not.

This is it. This sums up the whole thread.

1 Like

Some of us have had experience with Overwolf in the past. Blindly discounting our experience like this wins to no favours Overwolf Employee of the Month. I for one don’t appreciate your company trying to force me to use your ad-riddled bloated program by sending C&D’s against small time authors that provide me with a far better experience.

You want me to use Overwolf again? Tighten your code, and somehow prevent virus/malware authors from infecting your ad-servers and thus causing drive by installs of garbage. Honestly if you figure out the infected ad-server part, you’ll do the entire internet a massive favour. And stop threatening small time open-source devs!

Legal threats and strong-arm tactics just make me hate the company that much more.

9 Likes

So because I won’t pick up a torch and pitchfork I must work for them?

Those other addon downloaders you use are using curseforge, which is paid for and maintained by Overwolf. You understand that it’s not just free right? Overwolf’s ads which you despise are paying for that.

1 Like

Que the capitalism defender xD

Indeed not. I support addon authors directly by paying them. Patreon is wonderful for this. They get more that way. Zygor in particular is totally worth supporting, I love that addon.

As I said, you want to serve me ads? Clean your house, it’s a mess. Or let me pay for an ad-free experience with a stripped client. See? Totally willing to throw money at you, but not on the terms you are trying to strong-arm me with.

That supports addon authors but does that support the hosting costs? No, it doesn’t. Overwolf is willing to pay for the platform and give a majority back to addon authors as well.

All you have to do is pay or watch an ad. Overwolf says there will be a way to go adfree.

wowUp and others are just leeching off that work. If we want add-ons and an easy way to install them someone has to pay.

1 Like

I trust this as far as I can throw a Kul’Tiran, and I’m a Goblin so that ain’t far. Even if they make a way, their client will still likely have all the bloat but just have a drape put over it and that’ll suck.

Hell, hire the wowup devs to do it. I’m not talking put the wowup framework into overwolf. Let the wowhead dev program the overwolf client from the ground up, the way HE wants it done. That way we get a client actually worth paying for. And even with this, this is after withdrawing the C&D and issuing a public apology that isn’t obviously written by some PR shleeb.

4 Likes

I’m not defending anything lol

you make that sound like a bad thing

2 Likes

Reality speaks for itself, well as long as people choose to hear it and not close their ears and pretend everything is fine with just a few small bad egg problems xD

I’m calling BS on this one as a long term modder. Oh yes, they ‘say’ they’ll support modders. Watch as that 70% becomes 30% in the first month and then a few pittance in the future. I’ve seen it happen.

Direct ways to support addon authors work better than automated ones like this and they’ll be cheated out of everything. Additionally, as a mod author myself, I cannot in any good conscious utilize or recommend the end user utilize a service that is end-user unfriendly and has reports of virus-infested ads. As a long-term modder, trust me on this one where I say that there is a 90% chance of these ads being virus infested heckholes.

If you want to support mod authors, support them directly. This will not support mod authors.

7 Likes

Github acts as a free host for tons of projects that are far, FAR larger than any WoW addon. We’re talking north of 250-500MB. It could (and does, in some cases) do the same for addons, which are typically a few hundred kilobytes to a couple megabytes tops in perpetuity with no trouble or financial strain. Hosting is dirt cheap if you know where to look and is barely a value add at all anymore. This isn’t 2005 where you have to scrounge to find free hosting that gives you more than 10MB of space and 50MB of bandwidth.

2 Likes

So, like Wowhead was for the longest time.

2 Likes

I didn’t realize how many properties disney owned until they released disney+.