What's a good haste breakpoint - prot

I put everything into damage on my tank. I know I could sim myself and will but wanted to hear any feedback of secondaries applied in practice in keys or in raid. Thus far, I’ve just stacked haste over everything and mastery over all else and the results have been pretty solid. I want to know if there’s more I can do.

Both setups typically have me at ~38% haste before other buffs, ~20-22% mastery, and around 10% vers. My crit is minimal mostly coming from the tier legs. For trinkets typically in raid I actually run both IQD and First Sigil as Venthyr since I have no access to the sylv trinket and using both during that first hollow burst just feels good. Other trinket options include a Soleah’s and an elegy at 272 and 265 respectively. For dungeons I typically run one defensive trinket, usually Scale since Scale balances the defensive kit out well. Talents are your standard talents you’d expect to see in dungeons or raids respectively with maybe the one caveat being that I still take holy shield for defense (and some offense from 4set) for both forms of content instead of taking the more consistent redoubt for the added strength to parse better.

Should I convert some of that haste to mastery for more attack power? Anyone have any of their breakdowns they could share?

I would most definitely trade haste for more mastery in your situation. Mastery gems and enchants should be enough for now. I would not sacrifice ilevel to do so (if that’s an option). Beyond that I think your stat allocation is great!

I’ve been experimenting with 22% haste in dungeons with all the free HP. I typically run 25 haste, 30 mastery, whatever vers I can get (18-20%).

You can lose 10% of your haste and still be perfectly fine. The holy power generated from the legendary + 38% haste means you are wasting a lot of your secondary stats on something that won’t benefit you offensively or defensively as much as more mastery or vers.

I have the Rygelon ring I could swap in for mastery. Neck is the other option to swap out to gain more mastery on gear :slight_smile: as you said too gems

will implement these changes ty :slight_smile:

1 Like

Haste should be around 20%+ stopping no higher than about 25%, Mastery around 30+% (mine was 37, but with the crap set pieces I lost some of my good stats). Crit… not really that important to us.

yea working on getting it down. The results are showing. thank you :smiley:

Glad to help. Should check out WoWhead and Icyveins… they both have a pretty good idea of stat breakdowns.

I did! Also checked Bloodmallet for stat breakdowns. That’s why I made this post on seeing that. I wanted to see what other paladins actually had to say as well.

I would say aim to have enough mastery that you’re sitting around 50% block chance while having enough haste to keep up your shield of the righteous buff.

I was at that already with 2set. I’ve implemented the changes people have suggested already. Currently pondering swapping out my current haste heavy neck for a mastery heavy crafted one :slight_smile: It’s an ilvl loss tho so not entirely sure but will sim

Ilvl doesn’t make much of a difference for neck and rings because they give stamina instead of strength. Sims also are not that accurate for tanking unless you are just looking for dps potential.

1 Like

noted. In that case I may just take the crafted. It would normalize my haste better and put more in mastery

Agree with haste but crit does increases parry which gives charge of grand crusader, plus some juicy heals. It has uses but rng not a good thing to rely upon for survivability.

With how mastery is working, Ive been skipping verse and full mastery after ~25ish haste. Verse just has a low return rate, % per stat, so unless you never stand in consecration or take attacks to the back, then mastery best bang for buck.

You can have 100% sotr uptime with 0 haste and 4 piece now so it is much less important than it was.

2 Likes