Whatever happened to the forums?

Guess you didn’t notice back in may when you joined? Lol.

May? Of 2005? Yeah I noticed that’s what the thread is about bud

Try to keep up

Yeah I’m not a huge fan of the layout. the infinite scrolling is really annoying.

1 Like

May is coincidently the same month you joined the forums. Of this year. You’ve seen this format but just noticed? Uh huh.
Might wanna step on the gas a bit yourself there sparky.

Edit: Btw the format was changed last November.

1 Like

yeah, its ridiculous, just stating why some things get blown up. never attack like they reason for ur issue. no matter what they say

Perfect example: this thread.

Replying to people is impossible. I’m flat out lost I have no idea where we’re at now. The thread just grows and grows you don’t have page references to work down the list of replies. And each reply moves the entire thread a screen downwards. It’s just confusing and there’s no way to really get their bearings. Nobody is gonna remember “oh I need to reply to #14 #20 and #24” you remember "okay where was i? Oh on page 5 and blizzard greyed out the pages as you clicked them so you knew.

The reddit style is NOT a community building style. It’s a “who can reply the fastest with the biggest zinger for the most likes” style. It’s just another example of blizzard rotting the community from the base.

Because like I said. At the end of the day, it all starts and ends on the forums. And I can’t even stay on here for more than 30 minutes without my head hurting. It’s all a zinger popularity grab, no discussion and progression of the conversation

I liked the old forums too, but I feel like this was made for mobile. I usually get on the forums on my iPad, so really, there’s bigger hills to die on… like skeletons.

1 Like

Not that I’m saying I particularly like the forum revamp, but the scroll doohicky on the right always shows where you left off at in the thread when you leave it and return later.

It’s like with any update to youtube or gmail or facebook or anything in tech these days. You always hate it when it drops, but then you get used to it.

There is this neat box that says what post you are reading out of how many such as mine currently says 26/26. If you click on it it allows you to type in a post number or use a scroll as well. Seems you arn’t familiar with the system and rather than learning how to use it you wanted to make a post and talk about problems that dont exist.

Edit To add on, ‘no one will remember the post number but will remember the page number’. The heck backward logic is that? You can remember the page number and have to search through a whole page but you cant remember a post number that takes you right there?

1 Like

I feel like this thread would be useful to post here, since most people here aren’t browsing the GD forum or looking at stickies there.

Here is a breakdown of the whole new forum system and how it works for you all.

The more I think about it, the harder it is for me to put blame on the community for the state of the game when this is the medium you’ve been working with for years. I bet you when they switched to this style, there was a marked decrease in the overall quality of the game. I only played till wrath and I know for sure that this style was in vanilla and TBC. Both are arguably the best 2 games blizzard has ever made (wow wise).

It’s nearly impossible to have nuianced discussions on this forum style. That’s why I can’t stand sites like reddit. It’s all yelling at each other and going for upvotes. Nothing actually gets discussed, and I enjoy intelligent conversation.

If these are the tools you’ve been working with, then no wonder the game is in the state it’s in. It’s impossible to have detailed discussion, and blizzard to give feedback within threads with this style. It actively discourages it. If anyone knows when they switched I would be very interested, because I bet you it signaled the disconnect between the community and the company and put us in this spot

Another pet peeve. This is supposed to be the reply style correct? So then why are posters prohibited from chain replying. It just discourages replying to people in order, adding further ideas, etc. It discourages people from posting. Reddit is the same way, too many dumb rules about when you can post and how often. It’s easier to just not do it.

I remember you used to be able to work down the “list” and reply to people consecutively with no penalty or add more ideas on a thread after a post. No more of that. Gone

1 Like

Yes go back to the old way of doing things and NEVER CHANGE. For the sake of innovation :rofl:

I haven’t resubbed since wrath so why would I notice it at all until now?

Step on the gas? Are we even talking about the same thread here? You’re saying words but they aren’t registering as meaningful in any way.

I noticed it immediately, I just didn’t make a thread about it till now. Humans don’t always act immediately with knee jerk zingers like yourself. This isn’t a popularity contest to me. This is a place of discussion. Call me old school.

Certain styles have their advantages Gorrett. In the context of a complex MMO where measured discussion is paramount and forefront, this style is not an innovation at all. It rots the community.

Perfect case in point is this thread. I’ve tried to be nothing but pleasant, and it’s all short zingers I’m not reading anything that I would consider productive. It’s either throwing zingers or passive aggressive slights at other posters with no follow-up, accountability or intelligence.

Also, I don’t get the whole “trusted” heirarchy? If you’ve been with the game for a long time that gives you more rights on the forums? That’s a simple money grab, the longest sub wins. Because if it went by tenure, this account was created in '05, so shouldn’t my posts be blue by now? Lmfao

Instead it’s a sub numbers game. Aka tenured customers have no clout. Good luck with that business model

A return to the original forum format for Classic forums would be appropriate, and most welcome.

You must not have read either of my comments in the last little bit that were intended to be productive and help ppl such as yourself to understand the new forum structure.

It only changed to the new forum style last November.

This is how you chain reply. You can do it with multiple posters from the thread. (not just snippets from the same post as I’m doing here.) :slight_smile:

That’s not how it works, please refer to the link I provided a few posts up.

They haven’t cared about sub numbers in a while, now all their shareholders look at is MAU (Monthly Active Users), and time played. Regardless of that, there’s been estimates that only 1-2% of the game’s population actually use the forum, so there’s really no correlation.

Look. I understand that it’s popular to hate the big nasty corporation for trying to make money, and I understand people who left the game years ago are disenfranchised by the whole ordeal. But if it wasn’t for the big nasty corporation, we wouldn’t even be getting the opportunity to play this wonderful game this coming monday/tuesday (depending on region). Lets just take a step back, breathe, and enjoy the moment.

1 Like

Well, this is adorable.

<3 this response :heart:

Hasn’t stopped you from posting. Oh look. You have posts in May. Coincidentally the forums were changed already. You’ve seen this format.

Who’s not keeping up?
Carry on.

I’m still trying to understand your point. Sorry man I guess that’s just too low of a level for me to get on board with I’m lost.

You’re asking why didn’t I bring this up the second I logged on to the forums in May? I don’t know. I got a scroll of res, logged in once and logged out. Basically, I had better things to do. I appreciate you putting in so much time and effort though looking into my post history :joy:. Regardless, who cares? What does this conversation have anything to do with this current discussion

I think you feel like you’re sounding intelligent, but to an intelligent person it seems like you’re basically speaking a language that isn’t English. I guess I’m just not petty enough to get what you’re saying

I really hope this is trolling but with the whole researching my post history thing it’s becoming clear this is actually serious and that deserves a yikes bud

Like two years ago.