What would you like to see from Blizzard, to improve their communication to the players

One of my biggest problems with WoW over the years has been either the lack of open communication, or the vagueness of communication, between the game designers and the player base. I’d like to use this opportunity just to discuss a few of my thoughts, and also open the question up to others about what they would like to see, and what things have already been done that they think have helped.

I’ll break it down into 3 chunks, past present and future communication.

There’s been a recurring pattern in the recent expansions that goes like this. Expansion release, everything is hyped, but quickly players realise flaws in certain progress systems (time gating, inability to fully catch up if you miss a week, RNG power creep, forcing content on players progress), and Blizzard won’t make any public comment but will be working internally on a “solution” that is then brought into the first patch. This continues until the final patch of an expansion where Blizzards game design and how players want to enjoy the systems get a lot closer to meeting, and the game is more enjoyable, more playable, but a lot of these systems we’ve been forced to grind out for power creep that even with them now being much more interesting we’re too done with them to try them. A good example being torghast, what torghast was at the end of shadowlands was great! But it took so long getting to that point, where active communication with the player base - both through beta, ptr AND early patches would have made this A much more loved and well remembered feature. This happens over and over and is how we end up with so much dead content (Island expeditions, scenarios, warfronts, torghast, etc) that if done properly could have been (and could still be) fantastic “evergreen” content.

To put this now into current communication. Blizzard have definitely improved in some ways. but there is still so much to be done. Looking at season 3 I think the release and amount of content has been fantastic, and I love the “prepatch catchup” events that are regularly in the game now, but there needs to me more ongoing discussion with the playerbase about things that are generally universally agreed as just bad game design. One example, why do lashers in everbloom interact with m+ affixes such as bursting? Just to clarify, I’m not even asking for fixes to things, I’m just asking for communcation. Blizzard seeing these comments and discussions and actively communicating with the playerbase as to either why it is the way it is, or what they hope to do to improve it.

And as for future. At the time of posting this PTR has just been released for season 4 and there are already a lot of questions being asked by the community. Will there be a raid rotation for awakened? what is awakened, is it just an affix like in shadowlands? What does “bi weekly” rotation of dungeons mean? All of these things should already be actively communicated with us. Leaving things open to interpretation and letting people speculate is always going to lead to disappoint and blizzard underdelivering. For smaller content updates like 10.2.7 with the “pandemonium” I think its fantastic that there is surprise content, but when it comes to the core content of the game with M+, raiding and seasonal changes I think Blizzard would benefit a lot more from listening to the community and communicating openly with us.

I’d love to here other peoples thoughts on this.

14 Likes

I really like that we get roadmaps and more frequent updates. I think a bit more could be done also outside of expansions release. I think having more communication when it comes to explaining some philosophies can sometime help players understand why they’re doing stuff a certain way as a lot of players often ask “why are they doing this this way?”. I think it is fine that players might disagree then with those philosophies but then feedback can be better as players understand where the boat is going.

9 Likes

It won’t ever happen because the hype train needs to leave the station, but I wish there were less interviews and gaming articles not on the WoW website. So much info is given in random places.

8 Likes

I’d love to see them take inspiration from Magic the Gathering’s Mark Rosewater and his Blogatog Q&A. Actually taking questions from the player base and answering them in an informative and sincere way.

4 Likes

I wish we had more 5-15 minutes devtalks where Blizzard talks about topics/questions that they want to raise (or that the community has given feedback regarding, doesn’t matter if it’s GD, CC, Twitter or Reddit). Something akin to the Riot devtalks (ex: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2niKNCmiUY)

4 Likes

One thing that might limit communication is some stuff might not be set in stone and they don’t want to have to backtrack if things end up having to be changed.

Still, I think more communication could be useful, even if it’s just about intent and what they are trying to accomplish even if it doesn’t have the exact steps. Or perhaps “for this new mechanic/system, we are trying to create a fun way for players to do A, B, and C. We have a few ideas on how to make this happen like X, Y, and Z.” This way players get a better idea of what’s happening and what the goal is rather than some vague info that leaves players guessing at things.

1 Like

Definitely would love to see that. Obviously everyone is never going to agree on how the game should be developed and played, but more transparency around decisions made ESPECIALLY when there is a very obvious amount of discourse around certain decisions would be great to see.

Haven’t seen this before as I have no idea about the MTG scene, but looks very interesting, Is it well received?

Yeah, again just some communication showing they are actively monitoring feedback and able to have an open discussion or explanation for things would be a great start.

The most recent blue post (and posts before and after plunderstorm) are a great example of this.

They are obviously aware that there was disappointment among a lot of players that 10.2.6’s big secret wasn’t actually in game WoW content, comparing it to the hype and discussion many people had around what it could be. They very easily could have seen all the speculation happening around it and clarified a few things to ease the expectations of the playerbase.

Now this latest post is made to drum up excitement for season 4, which would be great IF Blizzard didn’t have such a recent history of underdelivering on excitement.

Here is how you can easily fix the latest post. We’ll have more news for you soon? Give a date. It’s that simple, we’ll have news for you next thursday. Perfect! The next experiment we have up our sleeves. Clarify this, is it for season 4? or is it 10.2.7? When they say PVE content are they talking about M+, raiding, or something completely different?

3 Likes

I like this format they adopt for devtalk.

Just to keep track of things, again no communication today on why ptr has been offline all day during the dungeon testing period. It’s perfectly reasonable that they need to take it down, just some communication on why and when we could expect it back, or even acknowledgement that it is offline

1 Like

Seems I have good timing as this has just been addressed. Fantastic!

Yeah, I think setting and managing expectations is important. Dates are great. Even if you end up not having a ton of new info, just checking in and saying “hey, we only have a little bit of info to share, but here it is. We’ll be back in 2 weeks to check in again and hopefully have more to share”.

I think something like that would go a long way.

There are a variety of somewhat smaller issues that take weeks, months, years to become working as intended.

We can take the Legion Karazhan opera encounter as an example. The two gangs facing off towards each other would bug out and prevent the encounter from moving forward if you damaged one of the gang leaders to much, to quickly. This was an issue for years. It took until the addition of the Mythic+ in that Karazhan wing to be fixed. It was 2 days later I think after that first release of the Mythic.

There is a short list of 20-30 things I can think of that are similar in some ways that have never been touched. Let alone having an idea as a player when or if that will be.
Other examples may be
:Ensembles not awarding the proper credit for all source IDs for dozens of ensembles in the game.
:Harykyn Grimstone in Waking Shore some days not spawning at all. We can have groups on 10 different shards at the same time testing it. 2-3 shards will spawn him. Rest won’t.
:ShadeHound Event in The Maw bugging out after the first day of reset. Preventing any player from doing the encounter because it refuses to reset* properly. This has been an issue since Shadowlands. We had a running joke for over a year that if you don’t get all your characters through on day 1. Rip. SoL.
: The sheer velocity of sharding at times. Where you and your group can be taken to a different shard while engaged with World bosses or Rares. Sometimes not just once. Twice in a single encounter period.

1 Like

To add on the my thoughts on how communication could be improved, this time regarding the PTR for season 4.

There are reported bugs and some good questions on the forum that I think could have been at least acknowledged by now. The fact that people are taking their own time to beta test patches, and then provide feedback and bug reports is not appreciated enough in acknowledgement from blizzard. Just taking the time to say, thank you we know about this bug, we’re working on it. Or answering questions - just to pull one randomly Please Update the Weekly Quest - Complete 4 Mythic Dungeons heres a thread of somebody asking if the 4 mythic dungeon quest will be changed to reflect the difficulty changes in dungeon difficulty. Very easy to answer or clarify for people.

There’s a lot of other things that aren’t quite clarified and make it harder to give feedback on the systems. Like the Dinars of this season. How many can we earn weekly? How specifically will we be earning them? Is there a cap on them? It’s hard to give feedback on how the system feels without knowing how it works. Are sparks still one half per week? Will be get a full one first week again, or not? Usually we do but I completed the weekly quest in valdrakken and only got half.

Would just love to have a lot more open communication so we can help build a fun season that we can all continue to enjoy!

3 Likes