What would it take to restore your confidence in Blizzard?

the biggest brains know to use Kul Tiran character models for this

I guess for me it’s like when Q was pleading with Picard and co. to believe in his desperation and asking what he could do to prove himself and Worf was like

“Die.”

1 Like

Prior to Mists of Pandaria, Pandaren were one of the most requested playable races, by a pretty high margin. Prior to Legion, Demon Hunters were the most requested class. I don’t envy anyone whose job it is to sift through the forums and aggregate the community’s feedback, but a lot of creative decisions have been the result of popular demand.

At the same time, I do feel this. We broke a lot of fingers on the monkey’s paw here.

I do want to say that Dark Iron dwarves are great. I think their customization options are worthy of being their own distinct race, and I would kiss whoever designed their shaman totems and their paladin mount.

3 Likes

Dark Irons were the only Allied Race that didn’t make me think they could have just been customization options for the base races on Alliance, with Void Elves being second since there’s no comparison for them (though it should have been High Elves with Velf customization).

For Horde, it’s really just High Mountain Tauren that feel incredibly lazy. Which says a lot honestly.

3 Likes

Agreed, although Nightborne deserve recognition as being a hot mess that needs a major overhaul.

1 Like

Kelfin were asked for and those are still not playable and a lot of people do want them. In fact they are just about as potentially popular as vulpera and have potential to be a great allied race. Its just that they don’t have as much of an organized lobby group like the vulpera have.

The Alliance’s Allied Races are all variants of what players had asked for over the years, rather than just giving the players what they asked for.

This is just horribly wrong. Are you forgotting about one of the biggest requests in the history of wow? High elves. Also the following:

1. Void elves are the most popular allied race hands down.

2. Dark Iron dwarves were requested also and they got that.

3. Gnome fans requested gnome hunters. Got those.

4. Gnome fans requested more gnome content and got mechagnomes and another major set of lore surrounding gnomes and a zone.

5. In classic wow there was requests for draenei and they got that. It may be an old request, but it is valid.

6. Wildhammer dwarves were requested and added as customization. Since they look nearly identical to standard dwarves, its not a huge problem. though wildhammer druids would be nice.

About the only thing the Horde didn’t get from their requests was Taunka, but at least Blizzard didn’t go, “Okay, so here’s the Taunka, but they’re all voided out now so it’s pretty much ruined and guarantees we’re never adding the race you actually wanted all this time.”

They also didn’t get ogres and there are some ogres already technically apart of the horde. Ogres are one of the oldest new race requests.

Its still a vocal minority though because pandarens are one of the least played races in the game(Not that there is anything wrong of that). I strongly on the side that just because a race is not popular doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be playable. Just pointing out that if blizzard decided they were only adding races based on how popular they would be pandaren might not make the cut.

1 Like

No, that’s kind of the poster race of what I said. Players asked for High Elves, and Blizzard gave us Void Elves. They wouldn’t even so much as let our Void Elves be actual High Elves from the Alliance, but instead a splinter group of Blood Elves out of nowhere.

Citation needed. Vulpera numbers were rising astronomically before reliable measuring tools became unusable.

Honestly this is the only case, but Wildhammer had been requested longer.

Not an Allied Race so I don’t know why this is here at all.

Again, not an Allied Race. Also, Mechagon was great, if horrible on RNG.

I don’t keep up with Classic. Are you saying they added Draenei to Classic? Or did you mean vanilla, in which case, Draenei as players knew them in Vanilla are NOTHING like the Draenei we got in BC.

They were requested as an Allied Race, with the idea of their models being modified to be taller and slimmer. They’d be the Luigi to Ironforge Dwarves’ Mario, basically, and would have plenty of interesting concepts for their own racials, as well as bring another Druid class to the Alliance, of which the Alliance needs another.

Thing is, the Horde hasn’t yet received, “Void Ogres,” that would eliminate any chance of them getting actual Ogres, so Ogres can still happen as an Allied Race. Not all of the Horde’s requests have been answered yet. But we’ll never get High Elves, Wildhammer Dwarves, or Robotic Mechagnomes as Allied Races now that we have these twisted corrupt-a-wish versions.

1 Like

I continuously forget Nightborne got… less than stellar models too. It’s very jarring to stand a Nightborne PC next to an NPC.

3 Likes

Just a personal opinion from me, but I firmly believe if Pandaren males had been solidly big instead of big and bouncy (maybe Pandaren male utilizing male rigging/frame of Kul Tiran?), you’d get more people playing them.

I’m admittedly fairly selective with what I play, but I would play the heck out of a Pandaren with a Kul Tiran rigging.

7 Likes

area 51 allied race, little grey aliems

2 Likes

This is a screenshot of the wowcensus taken about 1 month before the site went down. Vulpera had remained in this spot for about 3 months. One thing also to keep in mind is that even if vulpera did go up because of the allied race restrictions being loosed void elves would also go up. Plus you have to remember now that void elves are basically merged with high elves which has been one of the most requested races since the dawn of wow. I think this is all enough to say with high probability that void elves are the most popular allied race.

Second thing also is this. To prove my point about kelfin also being about as popular as vulpera potentially that is. Take a look at this poll.

One thing also to keep in mind with this poll is that gilblins at the time didn’t have model updates. With model updates and an active lobbying group the results would be just about the same.

Not an Allied Race so I don’t know why this is here at all.

Your statement was that blizzard doesn’t listen to alliance requests. Not alliance allied race requests so this is applicable.

Again, not an Allied Race. Also, Mechagon was great, if horrible on RNG.

Did I mention mechagnomes?

I don’t keep up with Classic. Are you saying they added Draenei to Classic? Or did you mean vanilla, in which case, Draenei as players knew them in Vanilla are NOTHING like the Draenei we got in BC.

Possible typo. i meant they added draenei in TBC but it was requested in classic.

Draenei as players knew them in Vanilla are NOTHING like the Draenei we got in BC.

Fair enough.

They were requested as an Allied Race, with the idea of their models being modified to be taller and slimmer. They’d be the Luigi to Ironforge Dwarves’ Mario, basically, and would have plenty of interesting concepts for their own racials, as well as bring another Druid class to the Alliance, of which the Alliance needs another.

Is there any actual lore basis for this?

Thing is, the Horde hasn’t yet received, “Void Ogres,” that would eliminate any chance of them getting actual Ogres, so Ogres can still happen as an Allied Race. Not all of the Horde’s requests have been answered yet . But we’ll never get High Elves, Wildhammer Dwarves, or Robotic Mechagnomes as Allied Races now that we have these twisted corrupt-a-wish versions.

We do have orcs though. Blizzard could have gone the mokanthel ogre/orc way if they wanted.

of 200 people

this is a very small sample size for one of the biggest MMOs present

5 Likes

Agreed.

Most of the complaints I’ve seen of Pandaren have been how…cartoony/foolish the males look (I know, something in WoW being cartoony, I’m shocked).

The male pandaren design seems to pull some heavy influence from Kung Fu panda (alongside the fact they were the headline for the Monk class). If they had been different, they might not have received so much flak, but I’m honestly okay with them…aside from how my gut ruins some mogs.

3 Likes

200 is big enough to get an idea of percentages though. The sample size for the wowcensus thing is a small fraction of the wow fanbase, but we know it is probably more a less accurate because it has some of the major ones accurate. We know that blood elves, humans and orcs are some of the top played based on many racial page statistics.

i was talking about the twitter post i didn’t even read the rest because at this point i don’t know what you guys are talking about in this playable race/request discussion

1 Like

Being plus size is always a struggle in fashion. But the smartest Pandaren make it work.

1 Like

Which is not and has never been a reliable source. It collected data from people with a specific addon.

Realmpop was the last reliable source, and it had Zandalari rising pretty high as well. The problem with census there is that it fluctuated a lot. There were times there were more Vulpera registering on it than Void Elves.

No, this is evidence that Void Elves are the least popular Allied Race, and that High Elves would’ve been one of the most popular Allied Races (again, no evidence to be the most popular).

Is that it was comprised of 200 votes.

I’m not saying Gilgoblins would not have been a good Allied Race. Unfortunately I won’t be surprised to see them wind up as Goblin customization now.

That’s not what you quoted.

Well, that still brings up the issue that the Draenei we knew back in Classic were those from WC3, which are nothing like the Holy Eredar we wound up with.

Is there any actual lore basis for Kul Tirans being fat and no other human kingdom having fat people?

Could have, but they haven’t. We have neither Ogres nor Mok’Nathal yet.

To be fair, I’ve left this mog on since BfA. I think the actual Jian’s armor is different, but there’s just some that look great on my undead/orc and then there’s…

the brew belly

2 Likes

The discussion was kinda shifting between.

1. What kinds of races should be playable
  2. Whether or not the alliance was screwed over.
  3. What blizzard listens/doesn’t listen to.