What would Blizzard MOST LIKE for us to do about bots?

WoW tokens eliminate 75% of the problems associated with the Botpocalypse.

1 Like

What are you doing when you run into bots?

I haven’t actually had any issues with bots. There was one time while leveling where I saw a hunter in the Shimmering Flats that I suspected was a bot.

Another time, I can’t remember how long ago now, but maybe a year ago, when people were complaining about a bot problem on a particular server in the starting areas, I rolled a fresh toon there, and saw what appeared to be some bots.

Other than those 2 times though, I have not had any circumstances in game where I’ve thought, “This must be a bot.”

I’m not saying they don’t exist, but I’m curious what you are doing that you find them?

Open world leveling.

Feralas had 4 Rogues and a Priest that were using bot software to level.

They would run from mob to mob, never mounting up.

They ate/drank at or below 50%.

They never say hi, or respond or react to any actions I make to or around them.

If I tag a mob right before they’re about to attack, and they attack it after my tag, they will stop all actions until I kill the mob, or unless the mob attacks them in which case they kill it.

If they were about to die they would only use spells/cooldowns and never run or use movement to their advantage.

This was just last week too.

I’ve had similar experiences, but the main offenders I’m thinking of are the ones that camp an entire population and annoy everyone else in the zone. For the last few days that’s been a series of at least 4 rogues monopolizing Lordamaere Lake’s south shore for 36 hours plus. They’re really obvious:

1. Step forward
  2. /throw at turtle
  3. If not in combat, repeat 1.

If you fear their turtle and it runs into the water they do a weird one-step-forward-then-jump routine, presumably to avoid drowning, as they chase the turtle around the lake, all without a word. After a while I think one of them started hearthing out whenever a human was close, but the rest just got dumber and more hesitant.

Bots pay subscriptions. You’re not going to unsubscribe over bots, so why should they ban them? A greedy company caring more about profits than the quality of their own game isn’t a new story.

2 Likes

I knew this would happen, but there are a million posts out there already if you don’t like what Blizzard does.

This thread is for what they want us to do. Whether it’s an unlikely Blue poster or just links to previous comments or just speculation, I really am not here to decide what Blizzard should do. I can’t implement tokens, and I can’t tell them what their policy will be, and I’m not going to try.

That said, while I don’t much care for the 3 month minimum as a paying customer, I think it can help them maximize revenue per bot. If you ban a bot 1 week into a 1 month sub, you basically net about $8, but if you ban one 1 week into a 3 month sub you net $34. Making them re-sub to keep botting (which of course they will) seems like a good way to make a few extra bucks.

Stop pretending that you are not Notglinda.

What did Notglinda get banned for this time?

2 Likes

Now we’re talking. I’mma gonna get my bots to farm gold to sell wow tokens.

2 Likes

Citation needed.

And is this exact, like, did you carry the 1 to complete the equation?

1 Like

Retail has way more bots than classic. It’s hard to imagine until you see it. All the wow token did was move the problems around, not fix them.

1 Like

I have retail, too.

I do nothing, I don’t get paid to look for them.

1 Like

That and boosts, you take out the power lvling for gold and the gold selling. I personally have to laugh in the face at every WoW Boomer who think those two are bad

Yea theres still bots in retail but no where near as many as classic has.

1 Like

I heard someone say that bots, and the paid boost will make botting worse.
The point they made was (I think it was in a you tube video somewhere btw) that the bots can make in gold the boosting fee easy before they banned, if they even are banned. So we may see even MORE bots because of boosting. (this is not a veiled anti boost post, though I am against it — it’s topical to the botting discussion).
I don’t think anything other than wow token can help with botting, and even then it will always be around. but if they cannot sell their gold as easily…I figure many will move on. /shrug

I felt like this is not true. Bots went way down after the token. Does anyone have any actual statistics on this somewhere other than our own limited experiences?

So one thing I had really hoped to get an answer to was whether I’m breaking the TOS if I disrupt a bot that’s creating an immediate nuisance (such as by camping mobs/resources other players rely on) beyond the usual “meta-game” complaints. If I fear their targets to mess up their AI/ML, or if I recruit several people to light campfires along their path, will I get banned for it?

No one gets paid to look for them. Not since Blizz removed all GMs. Therein lies the problem.

It’s been two years of classic, they’re still everywhere. Whether they afk grind in shimmering flats or afk pick pocket brd, Bots are here to stay. It is what it is.

The bots won. Now bow to your bot overlords!

wikipedia-dot-org / wiki / Cognitive_dissonance

Does Blizzard have policies against interfering with bots? Like if I want to farm a mob, and I’m 100% capable of disrupting them, but only using actions that would constitute harassment if I was dealing with a human player? Does anyone have any stories of human players getting banned for dispersing a group of bots so we can farm in their place?