What will hapen to retail wow?

Classic will see a big surge of people looking for a nostalgia trip. Then things will calm down. Retail will continue to limp along into Everquest territory unless the devs do something drastic to make things feel fresh.

I’m pretty sure there’s plenty who like current WoW that don’t want their sub fee funding Classic. But either way that falls under the category of too bad. I’m gonna play both, but really if I didn’t have a few friends from current WoW who were gonna pal around in Classic here and there I probably wouldn’t bother with Classic. Been there done that way back when it was actually new and it was that or nothing.

I mean, the one sub pays for both, so I don’t see how they are competing with each other.

1 Like

It will take a hit for a while as people check out classic but I believe most will return to retail because they’ll miss the QoL changes and because they’ll be asking themselves what’s the point since no new content will be added.

Even if they were separate subscriptions, your Classic WoW money isn’t going to be funneled into Classic WoW, it’s going to be funneled into shareholders pockets.

Because most of the people it was just some nostalgia trip, nothing else. It’s not gonna last long

1 Like

It’s this idea among Classic fanatics that “Classic will destroy retail! Then all of you casual scrubs will quit, the devs will make current WoW function like Classic, and WoW will be good again!”

Classic will destroy BfA? That’s hardly saying much. Now if Classic ever tops the active sub base of a good xpac like Wrath or MoP then Classic fanatics can start boasting about how perfect Classic is.

1 Like

I played the first day of 8.2, saw that it was more of the same stuff as in 8.1.5 and that my character still wasnt fun to play.

I havent logged in since. Id rather play nothing until classic launches than waste more time on 8.2

1 Like

I mean, that supports my over all point, though.

You will not be playing Retail when Classic hits. So you opting to play Classic will not kill retail. Because you were already not playing it.

The goal of Classic is to bring in subs of people not already subbed.

Large influx of players on the launch of classic, people will praise it etc etc etc, then as the months go by the classic player base will dwindle substantially. Than more arguing will happen on which is better retail or classic. The cycle will repeat itself all over again.

1 Like

Im gonna have my popcorn ready when classic launches. Gonna be loads of complaints, because the game isn’t amazing in any sense. The only thing it has on retail is the world pvp. And overall pvp

1 Like

I unlocked Pathfinder II and am pushing one Horde character through to 8.2 and then quitting until classic is released.

You should have been in the beta. It was fun and friendly. The “getting your first mount rush” is still there. LFG requests to do quests were common and always a positive experience.

I mean i’m sure it was a fun experience, but i have no desire to go backwards. And lose literally everything iv’e done since 2005. Plus most of the people that are gonna be playing will quit in about 1-2 months. The hardcore players will stick around for longer, but still.

I think more people will enjoy it than you think.

In retail, people in groups and dungeon don’t say anything. It’s as if they can’t stand being grouped together for more that 5 minutes at a time. As a social gather experience, WoW has failed.

On the classic sever, people were bonding again. We made one of the largest guilds on the server and have made some new friends. That hasn’t really happened in years.

1 Like

And the fact nothing has been removed from the game. I can complete my crafting recipe lists without missing 5 to 32 recipes that are no longer obtainable.

That I am not forced to do 13+ rated pvp battlegrounds because I want to craft leather shoulder pads with a 3 star recipe.

Lets not forget about crafting in general being extremely valuable for the items it produces and not just the expansions battle pet while the rest of your craftable materials are insignificant.

I socialize with people in dungeons and groups non stop.

I never said that they won’t enjoy it. It doesn’t have a crazy amount of long longevity. That’s the biggest thing… and i don’t know about you, when i do my mythic+ dungeons people actually speak

People didn’t quit the current wow because things were removed. But by the way people are talking in BOTH forums, classic and this one. It’s not gonna last long. When people realize it takes 1-2 months to hit 60. It’s GG

Same thoughts.

Then you can bet the Classic Discussion board is going to blow up.

For me personally? I started on the tail end of Vanilla a long time ago. It was great back then. I think about how I am now. My playstyle and mentality is totally different. Not to mention my Real Life is completly different than back then. QoL is a real thing. Even though it’s all nostalgia I really don’t want to repeat history.

My 2cp

Edit: I actually hope folks like it. Maybe the Devs might relearn a thing or two and listen.
waits for rainbows to sprout out of his…

H

Well I played vanilla and know exactly what that was like. I do have the advantage of knowing a lot more this time than I did back then.

I will make a priest and take tailoring and enchanting, and make some copper selling stuff and level in slow motion. Often with friends I know in real life who want to just join and play. That alone is six months or more of leveling at slow speed.

If I"m still into it I"ll pick and level a main raid type toon and a main pvp toon.

Right now I"m considering options on those, but that will be another 6 months (I don’t level fast in current retail, so I accept it will be slow in classic)

Eventually if it doesn’t die out I"ll probably run some raids.

The community will matter more to me if it evolves along similar directions to vanilla.

The only thing will be if the retail go go go community tries to migrate to /1 etc.

Time will tell.

I can see me playing on a rp realm and enjoying RPG facets as much as anything else.