What was your go to food in college?

beer, usually :cowboy_hat_face:

The heck.
Yellow text?
Iā€™ve not seen this before. I must be late to the party.

I had a bean burrito the other day. Iā€™m traditionally a meat guy.
But honestly it was the best burrito Iā€™ve had from there. (It was Taco Bellā€¦ so the bar is low).
But one less meat meal in my pool makes me feel better about myself.

1 Like

Those are the nastiest things I even tasted. If you want something good from Dollor Tree, see if they carry the Spring Rolls, bake them in the over and they are great with Sweet and Sour sauce.

Taco Bell and Mountain Dew.

Wait what? Why is your text orange now? Did you just get Legendary status?

I like meat but the moths in my pockets did not cover the expenses for that very often.

I still donā€™t eat meat every day even though I can afford more now. I still eat protein though, just in different forms. I really LIKE a lot of meat free dishes and donā€™t even think twice about it. Like, I can make fried rice then realize there is no meat and I am happily enjoying it :woman_shrugging:

I also enjoy a good roast then making soup from the bones/bits so there is that too. Make it stretch.

1 Like

Iā€™ve always been a fan of chilled salads and lentils. Whip up a container of chicken/tuna/egg salad every few days, then just make sandwiches/wraps, and then lentils/rice as just kind of staple stuff.

Boil some water, salt it lightly, toss in some asian egg noodles.

Boil a small amount of water, mix in soy sauce, ginger, garlic powder, onion powder, msg, red pepper flakes, fish/oyster sauce, sesame oil, some chilis and black pepper.

Toss a skillet on, put the cooked egg noodles in, then the sauce, toss over medium height until the sauce reduces. Cover with sesame seeds and chopped scallion.

I tried straight ramen for a bit and itā€™s a little too soul-sucking.

Apparently!? It got changed without warning today. They also added some more folks to the CC so I guess it was an update or sorts.

I have not adjusted. Change takes me a while. I am very used to being moldy and green.

2 Likes

This is a favorite of mine. You can gett everything at a Dollar Store like Dollar Tree

• 2 bricks of ramen noodles, cooked as directed, toss seasoning packet.
  • 2 tbsp of butter or margarine
  • 2 tbsp of Italian Seasoning
  • 1 tsp of Red Pepper Flakes
  • 1 tbsp of Minced Garlic
  • 1 tbsp of Olive Oil.

Melt butter and add Olive oil, then add Minced Garlic, Italian Seasoning, and Red Pepper Flakes. Add Ramen noodles and toss. Top with Green onions or chives. Enjoy.

First attempt: Cheap takeout.

Second attempt: Better takeout.

Postgrad: Finally had learned to cook by then.

2 Likes

Sidekicks, pb and jam, pasta in generalā€¦ I wasnā€™t very healthy back then

1 Like

College was very carby, because carbs are what you can buy in bulk for cheap (especially in Japan, where I went to college).

Some of the things I ate, most of which werenā€™t tied to a particular meal:

• Instant ramen (of course)
  • PB+J sandwiches
  • White rice with sugar (called porridge by some it seems?)
  • White rice with scrambled eggs
  • White rice with fried bargain bin mini-wieners and potatoes
  • White rice with chicken (if I had a little extra cash on hand)

Definitely wasnā€™t even remotely nutritionally complete, and I also didnā€™t eat as much as I should have. I expect it to bite me in the rear at some point.

Plain chicken sandwiches from the cafeteria

Island nation type folks do some amazing things with spam.

You can almost not know you are eating it. You have to think hard is this spam? since they make it tasteā€¦better. for lack of better wording.

only saying island nation folk since not going down the coutries from pacific ocean off cali to japan lol.

I learned to love Spam in Korea. My host did some AMAZING things with it

1 Like