What was the point of Tyrande in SL?

Tyrande was there to slap Sylvanas’ wrists while she takes a vacation for an expansion or two before she comes back and everyone treats her as the second coming of jesus christ as she saves us from whatever threat the jailer’s threat threat warning warned us about.

15 Likes

Tyrande’s arc was about Tyrande. I know there is a lot of salt from those who wanted blizzard to finish off Sylvanas with the villain bat, but Sylvanas was just there in her scenes as the object of her hatred. They did nothing to move Sylvanas either way toward being a villain or toward redemption.

For example, why did Tyrande choke Sylvanas, because it showed her state of mind.

1 Like

That does strike me as “hate.” Nore like “couldn’t bother to pay attention because this character is just a stepping stop for God-Emperor Varian.”

Funny to see the most liked posts after his response calling him out.

3 Likes

I guess I would love to be on the alliance side of things. I would love to have op horde characters, who can one shot the alliance army and win though open and honorable battles. In BFA there wasn’t a single time horde won anything without under handed tactics or super weapon, even than alliance pushed them away with sheer power. Yes i would love for the horde to be on the other side.

I mean all fail to realize the horde race lost their home as well. that being said I really do not care if unnamed npcs died(This already happened to the orcs in mop) as long as there are characters and alliance has tonz of those. There will always be as many npc as the plot demands, blizzard does not have a count. What matters are characters, and this is where alliance gets and keeps it’s development. While horde characters are killed off or villain batter the alliance keep getting more.

1 Like

Listen I know alliance has it’s fair share of issues, but I feel as if alliance players are more vocal and their complaints are head more often. They didn’t like questing under horde characters now most of the natural content is alliance. Alliance players wanted high elfs they got void elfs. Alliance players wanted to feel more badass, well they got op characters and horde only beats them via underhanded tactics.

While horde as a horde player all i want is parity while questing and not be villain batted. Yes raid our cities, kill our characters (which has been done multiple times) but at least make us the good guys.

2 Likes

The only character Alliance ever killed was Nathanos.

12 Likes

Just going by the allied races that isn’t true. The nightborne were heavily developed, same with the highmountian tauren. Void elves were literally just thrown in last minute and the lightfoged draenei barely got anything either, their leader even seems to be a human. I know there is captain Fareeya who has exactly zero development, but Turalyon seems to be the actual leader. These races brought basically no new characters and they were not developed nearly to the extend HMT or NB were, who have actual zones in game, meanwhile the void elves have some floating rocks in some other plane of existance.

About the city, keep in mind, the horde blew up their own home and now they are getting it back in 9.2.5 according to the datamine, Teldrassil as an entire zone is just gone along with most of the night elf population. The horde destroyed it on their terms and evacuated their population, the night elves were just butchered without being able to do anything about it and even their “victory” the blizzard devs say Darkshore is unlivable, destroyed and devoid of life (Exploring Kalimdor) while the horde continues to invade Ashenvale, Silverpine is fine (which is the equivalent of Darkshore), and they are moving back into Tirisfal.

Having these super powerful characters did nothing for the alliance and the war was only stopped because of a rebellion within the horde, just like in MoP, not because of what the alliance was doing. These powers do entirely nothing, if they became relevant that might be a different story, but as of now they’ve been entirely irrelevant.

This was more of a monkey paw, they wanted high elves but they gave them void elves. Then much later gave them very minimal high elf customization, this was to really make up for the fact that no one plays the alliance allied races because they were phoned in. Kul Tirand and Mechagnomes round out the bottom of playable races, as well as lightforged draenei who are essentially just regular draenei with much less customization.

Again how does this make anyone feel “badass”? The alliance characters essentially do nothing and the alliance as a faction seems ineffectual UNTIL the horde rebels against itself to help them out.

I guess that is true, Tyrande couldn’t even kill Belmont. Meanwhile the horde killed Summermoon and raised her to be a loyal servant of the horde, and she was one of the new characters I actually liked, then they made her horde for basically no reason other than to give the finger to night elves again.

9 Likes

There been a few raid kills although I do not know which faction got the kill. Like Nazgrim and Dranosh Surfang. There is also some old horde characters that come back as raid bosses like zul’jin, there are tons of orcs that we killed in the outland who at one point were good horde character pre wc3. I guess that is a different conversation.

1 Like

If you want to compare D list characters that the Horde has killed we would be here all day.
Just because the Horde lost characters doesn’t mean the Alliance killed them.

I wish we did.
I wish we destroyed those cities to so I can at least say “wow Alliance can at least punch back a little” but Blizzard doesn’t allow that for some reason.

6 Likes

I feel like if anyone got the canon kill on Nazgrim it was Gamon since he was present for both sides and the achievement is finishing it while keeping him alive. But that’s probably as close to knowing who got the actual kill.

Edit: I guess Nazgrim just says he died at his hands.

Aggroed Nazgrim if alive
You are an honorable orc, Nazgrim. I regret what I must do.
Completion of [Gamon Will Save Us!]
General Nazgrim says: Gamon, you have finally learned. I am proud to have died at your hands.
Gamon says: You fought with honor. Gamon will ensure that your legacy lives on. For the Horde, my friend.
General Nazgrim says: For the Horde.

Then in comparison look at what happened to Nazgrim’s counter part, he was just a ghost follower in WoD without really any story and then we never see him again.

2 Likes

He laid the groundwork and built out the universe as we knew it. I’ll put it another way: If you didn’t like Metzen’s Warcraft, your alternatives are Kosak, Afrasiabi, or Danuser.

I just find it hard to believe someone would hold up any one of those as preferable to WC3 through WotLK.

Would if I could. It’d be hard to find since iirc Kosak nuked his social media accounts after his misdeeds came out in the lawsuit.

There was another one I remember reading where he pretty much did a response tweet to someone about what he considered to be problems with Tyrande. But I think Kosak has nuked his social media accounts since then (covering his tracks). This one does help prove the point, though.

3 Likes

Yes I don’t know who got the kill but a lot of horde characters have died. Even more when you look at Warcraft 2 characters.

I mean let’s not talk counter parts, as I mentioned alliance has way more characters. Most of them don’t have horde counter parts.

This is kind of what I mean alliance players complain a lot. So out of the 5 characters in the ebon blade 1 of them is horde and 3 are alliance and one was a dungeon boss. Parity man that’s all I want.

3 Likes

Nazgrim saying to Gamon “Gamon, you have finally learned. I am proud to have died at your hands.” seems to indicate Gamon got the kill.

You’re literally doing exactly that just the opposite version, you came into a thread about how pointless Tyrande to shadowlands (because she absolutely was) and how useless the night warrior was to complain about “well the horde”. It’s fine if you don’t care about the alliance story/races but let’s not pretend you are acting any differently than the people you are complaining about here.

Whitemane isn’t an alliance character, all humans are not alliance characters, if that was the case all forsaken would be alliance characters, same with blood elves. If you actually want parity, why wasn’t silverpine destroyed like Darkshore was? Why weren’t most of the forsaken population killed off during the battle for undercity? Why did the horde get to choose to blow up their own city instead of being helpless to stop the alliance from doing it? The story isn’t all about meaningless power ups. Where is the parity for Theramore getting blown up? Where is the parity for Silverwind refuge? Southshore? Why is the alliance as a whole so ineffectual in general unless the there horde is helping them fight the other half of the horde?

Why are alliance characters written so poorly like Tyrande or SL Jaina? What do any of the “powers” do for the alliance? You just want more characters, and you got some good ones with the allied races, the horde allied races got two entire legion zones of characters and stories, the alliance got nothing, the LFD and void elves are literally just shoehorned in with barely any story and no cities. Why do goblins get an area like Azshara but Worgen get nothing? There is a reason the horde in general is just a lot more popular than the alliance.

It doesn’t have to be 1 to 1 and both sides are upset for different reasons, for me it has been the treatment of night elves since cataclysm and the hatred the devs have for them. But it’s better to realize that we are all victims of blizzard’s incompetence for different reasons.

17 Likes

Yes I mentioned 3; Bolvar, Darion and Thoras.

yes your right but to the point earlier horde characters from the past wc2 have been killed. Kargath, Kilrogg, zuljin, cho’gall, Dentarg and teron gorefiend. While their alliance counter parts Turalyon, Aleria, Khadgar and Kurdran are fine & most are import figures.

Couple of things my guy, it is not like horde characters are written well. Orcs do not lie or cheat it has never been shown in game. Yes i do want more characters i want to quest under horde npc even in natural content or more horde characters in natural content.

regarding zones alliance still has more zones more town alot of our questing hubs are just tents for crying outloud. Also goblins are everything the horde stands against. Not taking more then you need not destroying everything for greed are core shamanistic beliefs.

yes it doesn’t needs to be 1 to 1 but it is not event .5 to 1. do you not see an issue here? Yes night elfs havent been treated well but who has out side of humans. Look at orcs for example or trolls, none of the horde races have been treated well.

Also yes this was threat was regarding Tryande, but other characters have been treated far worse in shadowlands. Much worse.

you are kidding right?

3 Likes

So you want evil characters from the RTS on the current horde? I don’t want to hear you complaining about getting the villain bat then if you are upset someone like Cho’gall or Teron Gorefiend died. The new horde is suppose to be different from the demon blood infused evil horde from WC1 and 2, they are trying to distance themselves from their demonic past.

Everyone is badly written, in Shadowlands all the alliance characters are badly written so Sylvanas can look better and they are basically throwing away characters like Tyrande, Jaina and Uther to do that, while spending so much time making sylvanas cutscenes and storylines, and a pretty long book about her.

About the zones, I don’t know the exact count, but regardless of the number the alliance just loses FAR more than the horde does. The horde is popular because the alliance is mostly just there to lose and be the victims until the horde eventually turns on itself to help the alliance out. That feels absolutely terrible, it’s something you don’t seen to understand.

Why do the worgen STILL not have an area like the goblins? Why does the alliance continually lose areas through the MMO while the horde faces virtually no consequences for that? Even after this cease fire the horde made gains in ashenvale from what they had before WoT. There is no parity for the alliance losing all these areas or towns, it’s just the alliance player going through all these loses without any real victory. Even the warfronts we don’t know how wins them in game, we are only told at blizzcon because someone randomly asked a question at the Q&A.

The night warrior arc starts before shadowlands, it comes from BfA where she got a power up so she could have Malfurion save her against Nathanos. What other character got a power up to not be able to defeat a kind of lower down the chain commander? She couldn’t even kill Belmont in 8.1. The night warrior story was entirely pointless.

Tyrande has been treated worse than most people in shadowlands and that is saying something considering a lot of characters are only there for Sylvanas’s story, no other reason.

6 Likes

If I didn’t know better I’d say her purpose was to annoy everyone.

As an Alliance player she comes off as weak-minded and an emotional basket case. Certainly a poor leader.

As a Horde player I am so sick to death of helping that ungrateful Karen, expansion after expansion, that I just want her gone now. She is so grating and belligerent that I cannot feel anything for her. But Blizzard insists on this abusive relationship for some reason. She can diaf… oh wait.

1 Like

This also enhances my point about how badly written Tyrande is, as presentation is part of that. Blizzard loves to take victims and present them this way, even if she is entirely in the right for being upset with genocide. They love presenting these victims to a majority of the players as if they are “karens” for being mad about things like the destruction of her home and genocide of her people.

Even if what she says is entirely right and she is being beyond merciful with her judgement to sylvanas, she is presented in game is being “an emotional basket case”. I don’t believe this about her myself at all but a lot of people are lead by blizzard into thinking this. Thinking victims are crazy or wrong for how they feel is a standard blizzard trope now and something I don’t think can be denied anymore.

10 Likes

some of them were not so evil, morally gray. Notice I did not list guldan or deathwing. It is also really hard to say Zuljin was in the wrong for anything but him and his tribe became raid meat.

At least she got a power up, what horde character got one? The only horde character who had some power was Thrall and he lost it. Even before he lost to Garrosh, 2 times. Rest of the horde character run from alliance power houses in BFA.

I do not think she is treated worse then Bain or Thrall.

I cant take alliance loose zones seriously, they had more zones. Their zones were close to horde capitals. Even now alliance has more zones. If blizzard wants to give them back go for it but the horde should have some equivalent. Even now in game most horde zones have alliance forces, we can’t even walk from one capital to another without taking side roads.

This is a repeated theme horde players want parity while alliance players want more and more.

1 Like