What was Medivh's rationale

For opening the Dark Portal? Like did he have some reason to think this was a good idea, or was it just Sargeras brute forcing him into doing it like a puppet by that point?

The latter.

3 Likes

Pretty sure this is how the story described it.

:pancakes:

Medivh was prone to black outs when Sargeras would completely take him over. During these times his magical abilities would skyrocket beyond their already extremely high levels. Even in the Caverns of Time event where we witness the Dark Portal being opened it’s pretty clear he’s not the one in control.

The time has come! Gul’dan, order your Warlocks to double their efforts! Moments from now, the gateway will open and your Horde will be unleashed on this ripe, unsuspecting world.

I am grateful for your aid, champions. Now, Gul’dan’s Horde will sweep across this world like a locust swarm, and all my designs - all my carefully laid plans - will at last fall into place.

It’s even more obvious if you fail and let him die.

No! Damn this feeble, mortal coil!

2 Likes

Sargeras guided and manipulated Medivh into opening the Dark Portal. Obviously not knowing Sargeras was influencing him, Medivh thought he was luring a unified army to help defend Azeroth from future Legion incursions. He also took delight in the perceived irony of turning an army made by the Legion, against the Legion.