What Triggered Your Hype?

I remembered hearing about Nostralius getting shut down and I checked it out. The videos where amazing and how many people played it was crazy. I was playing retail during that time and it occurred to me how bland and awful the game was. When Elysium launched me and some friends leveled together and the world pvp was the funnest thing i experienced since WoTLK raiding with friends. After about level 40 on Elysium i decided that there was nothing worth while on retail and all i wanted to do was play Vanilla and i was longing for Blizzard to create vanilla realms. I also was looking into Felmyst as it was coming out. What a mess that was.

1 Like

Unfortunately blizzcon 2017… my brain hasn’t been the same since

1 Like

Nostalrius

Remembering the amazing aspects that made the game so fun.

It sounds weird but the thing that got me was a conversation with my friend about raid progression.
I remembered how skinning onyxia required a skinning skill higher than the max. You needed a special item and an enchant in order to skin her. You also needed her on farm so that everyone could have the cloak for Nefarian.

Long, intricate group quests that rewarded epic quality gear. My favorite (being a warrior tank) was Quel’serrar.

Just those small things made the game feel so RPGish. Now it’s “oh boy you mcforged into BIS on content that isn’t top of the difficulty curve” and it just feels bad.

Memories of better days. No scars no nerve pain.

That’s easy enough to resolve. Get a consensus on the forum for which PvP server you are going to make the unofficial RP-PvP.

Two letters infront of PVP is all that needs to be done.

When a couple of my favorite streamers logged into Classic Beta and streamed it.

I ALMOST got hyped when it was announced… but it was eclipsed by the pleasure of watching Brack eat such a large portion of crow.

1 Like

When it was announced. Watching Blizzcon from home, and jumped out of my chair after the Chromie video. Got down on my knees with a clenched fist pumping while almost shouting “yes! Yes! Fcking YES!!!” My wife looking at me in bewilderment as if I was going crazy (which I was for a brief moment) Could barely speak to her as I tried to get some breath back. Glorious moment, and hilarious as well!

2 Likes

Definitely the second he started talking about ice cream. I mean, who didn’t see it coming? Hype train, Choochoo!

1 Like

I was in tears when they announced it.

Tears of joy… thinking about it again is making my eyes water.

Same. And every time I watch it again. I can’t wait, this is the only game I want to play.

2 Likes

My hype was triggered the next day when I sobered up and realized that I didn’t just dream that it was announced. :sunglasses:

Pretty simple. Modern wow is no longer MMO, and its no longer an RPG. Its some kind of ungodly diablo hybrid loot shower game thats wearing a skin mask of the game we once knew and loved.

1 Like

When my friends in our group chat asked “are you playing classic?” I haven’t stopped watching guides and reading forums since. I don’t even have a retail subscription anymore, and I always despised those who don’t have a subscription and play on the forums. Now look at me D:

Though I don’t understand the arguments about retail being “everything handed to you.” Go get cutting edge, or 2400 arena / RBG or even 2200 and let me know that it was handed to you. A lot of things in retail offer a far more challenging aspect than classics “time investment vs difficulty.” I could care less that everyone’s gear is purple now. Mine was more purple because it was a higher item level. Besides, gear shouldn’t be the reason you cleared content. Skill should be.

Either way, what retail is missing is community. I guess it takes walking to dungeons and spamming chat for groups to make that happen. So be it. I am pumped to relive the community experience in classic!

Honestly? Private servers.

Never played pre BC so I never really cared to try a vanilla private server but with the announcement of Blizzard Official servers I wanted to try them to see if it would be worth playing when the official servers came out and I just had a blast.

1 Like

Talent and gear system. It’s far more complex than retail’s, and unlike retail, the meta really isn’t solved. There’s an endless amount of tiny jank interactions and items that make specific playstyles viable. There’s a lot of hyperbole on what’s ‘viable’, but really, there are so many tools in classic WoW that just about anything can be viable. Your average player won’t push themselves to really care about these things, but for dedicated players, the levels of power you can reach, on conventional or unconventional classes, are so far above the average player that class choice is pretty much irrelevant.

I can’t get over how idiotic the diehard meta followers are though. Patchwerk, a notorious DPS check, requires 425 dps per dps in a standard raid comp. That’s just not a very large number. There’s been credible sources showing ‘less viable’ classes pushing over 500 with some gimicks, in pre-bis, so I really don’t understand the fixation on the metagame. There’s so much depth to the game and its systems that you can pull just about anything out of nowhere.

I’m looking forward to playing WoW my own way. Because unlike retail, there are ways to innovate and play in a creative way.

Blizzcon 2017 sparked the fire.
Blizzcon 2018 stoked the flames into a blazing inferno that would make Ragnaros proud.

1 Like
  1. The announcement at BlizzCon 2017. Up to that moment, it was just something people wanted, Blizzard had talked to Nost guys, but nothing seemed to be happening any time soon. When Brack segued into ice cream and the word vanilla … over the moon hyped, it’s real.

2. Playing the demo and watching the panels during BlizzCon 2018. Finally some answers and a look at what they were doing, how, why. Especially the outlining of the guiding principles, knowing that they were trying to do it right.

1 Like

Chromie…she’s so sweet she triggers my need for Insulin

1 Like