What takes so long?

You clearly don’t know what actually happens on the back end of things at all do you?

Let me just put this here.

Scheduel time for maintenance, Or your equipment will do it for you.

2 Likes

I know that. I’m asking, why?

Create a game, have it last 17 years +, hire a team of devs, coding, uploading, correcting, patching etc etc do ALL that then when you are done: can you come back and tell us what takes so long? We are curious and you are curious so please field the data for us and let us know! See you in 2039 with the results and answers!

2 Likes

I mean, there is always the option of leaving your dungeon neck beard breeding ground of a basement where girls don’t go and try going outside, taking a deep breath of gamer free fresh scented air and wait patiently. Servers will be up when they are up.

2 Likes

I work on projects for one of the largest energy companies in the eastern US. Tell them that their deployment is out of date. I have no control over it.

1 Like

I’d prefer that they take their time, instead of another emergency maintenance later when I’m already engaging with the new talents, UI…etc.

If they’re still pushing hotfixes is because there’s some issues, We’re talking here about Blizzard, They’ve not fixed the Dialogue bug from 3 months ago impacting the player experience for new/ returning players.

This might be taken for an “honest question” if we didn’t have to see it EACH AND EVERY PATCH/XPAC.

Honestly, it gets old. If it bothers you that much, unsub and let Blizz know that you have nothing going on in your life and zero patience.

I’m sure they’ll appreciate the feedback.

3 Likes

WoW in terms of complexity and concurrent users pales in comparison to Amazon, Facebook, YouTube, Twitch, Google and others. Yet these guys never have down time. The reason is actually very simple, they lose money when their system goes down. Blizzard doesn’t. If they couldn’t get away with, you can bet your house these updates would be at worse server restarts.

4 Likes

Seriously, if you have never worked a day in dev ops or IT you have zero room to speak. Let blizz do their jobs.

I have sympathy for them. They are working with a for sure old and wonky codebase.

Let’s be real, they also work for a pretty scummy corporation. So you know for every 100 improvements or tools they ask for that cost money, they are approved for 1 or 2.

That said - I am jealous. I do server patching for a living and would love to get a gig where I can promise x time and deliver x+hours time double digits amount of times in a year and still be employed.

Gives me a few more hours of time to mess around in Cyberpunk before dealing with whatever the UI fallout of the patch will be anyways.

3 Likes

Fixed. 17 years later

They do have downtime actually. All of them. Office 365 went down more times in 2020 than I can count. Facebook was wiped off the map for the better part of a day last year. Everyone has outages.

1 Like

Huh? I didn’t say fix it, I said don’t use it as an example because it’s a terrible example.

I’d have more sympathy for them if they weren’t a multi-million dollar company.

1 Like

There is a difference between an outage, and planned 8 hour maintenance.

Multi-million dollar company, which has clearly invested next to nothing into their software development lifecycles. I’ve seen small mom-and-pop companies invest more into their Software release cycle then these guys. I guess that’s my frustration.

3 Likes

First it was 330pm now 6pm. I was ready to do my reputations grind at 9am. I’ve only been on for about the last 2 months after a 5 year hiatus. Now at 6pm i’m done for the day. Hope it’s up tomorrow.

Yup. They even downloaded content in advance and still no one seems to execute digital tasks with finesse astounds me.

2 Likes

Apples and thumb tacks.

Your comparisons are not even remotely close.

2 Likes

If you have any more wisdom to share in response to me which is unrelated to my post and obvious in nature, I do hope you share it.