What should I get to upgrade my system?

My computer is going on 3 years old now, and I’m not sure what to upgrade to make sure I can run the latest games. Can someone looks at my computer specs please and give me some ideas?

Also, if anyone needs additional info, let me know. Computers are definitely not my thing! Thank you so much in advance!

Processor: Intel Core i7-7700K CPU@ 4.20 GHz
Installed RAM 16 GB
Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080

1. now is not the time to upgrade as there are few parts out there and those that are out in the market are often over priced. I would wait until March or April.

2. what monitor specs are you playing at as that PC can easily handle any game out there at 1080p 60hz. If anything you can OC the CPU.

3 Likes

Are you running an SSD, NVME, or HDD for your primary memory storage?

CPU is fine. Amount of RAM is fine, you may be able to squeeze some extra performance out of faster RAM but that’s not truly a necessity.

GPU is fine. While a 2080/3080 are leagues more powerful than a 1080 there aren’t (currently) any games out there that a 1080 won’t run well.

2 Likes

I have almost the same PC and I’d recommend waiting based on the 3 things you listed. It sounds like the 2nd half of 2021 parts may be easier to buy.

1 Like

I’m running an SSD. And waiting is fine-just fine. Just wanted to make sure my computer wasn’t outdated by too much! And I’m running an ASUS Republic of Gamers monitor, no clue what the model is!

considering the average gaming PC is still a 4c/4t (think intel i5-6400) with a video card similar to the GTX 1060 or RX 570/580 then I would say you are ahead of the curve. Both your CPU (especially if OC) and GPU can handle anything out there at a very good to great performance.

1 Like

I’ve been playing on my i3-10100 (a little slower than your 7700k, but same core configuration) with an RX 570 (much slower than your GTX 1080) connected to a cheap 1080p TV lately on newer CPU intensive games like Assassin’s Creed Odyssey, and others less CPU intensive but still new games like Resident Evil 2/3 Remake, Yakuza Like a Dragon, and the experience at 60hz with appropriate settings isn’t far off from my 5ghz 8700k and RTX 3080.

I would say the 7700k, especially when paired with a GTX 1080, is still quite the potent 1080p 60hz system for high settings or more.

1 Like