What pet is best for solo tanking in BFA?

I am having trouble keeping my (supposedly tanking) pets alive in solo pve with 2 or 3 enemies hitting on it. There doesn't seem to be a big difference between tenacity and ferocity in terms of tanking & surviving ability , while cunning doesn't seem to be able to tank at all. Are there specific animals that make better tanking pets? I know I didn't have that problem during Legion ..
1 Like
For BM spirit beasts and clefthooves.

For all else, scalehides
5 Likes
clefthoof is the bombb tank
gogo ferocity pets
3 Likes
Corehound and Apes are purty awesome too!
I must say, I'm disappointed in Hunter pets as tanks (and have been for awhile, but I think it's even worse in BfA).
6 Likes
I use my hermit crab for style points.
6 Likes
Spirit beast.
1 Like
The 100 talent that increases predator thirst by 50% helps too. Gives your pet another 5% leech. Clefthoof with that never dies.

Makes Ferocity pets better tanks than tenacity, kinda weird tbh.
4 Likes
My Ferocity pets can tank most of the stuffs. But when the going gets tough, I bring in any of my Tenacity pets.

Like when I tamed Fenryr during BFA pre-patch, I used my Ferocity pet (a wolf) from start up to Fenryr. It killed everything. My wolf got killed on 2nd half of Fenryr fight. The wolf is quite squishy for that fight. After I feign death to reset the fight, I brought in a Tenacity pet. And I used a Spirit Beast Gryphon not a Turtle. I was amazed on how tanky that pet. Fenryr tame was easy becoz of that pet.

So all along BFA when I see a quest that requires 3 people, I solo it with a Tenacity pet.

There was one dungeon run I did few days ago when my tank died very early becoz our healer kept getting feared. I know I am hard to kill so if I have to outlast the boss mob, I have to use a Tenacity pet. So I dismissed my Ferocity Bee pet and brought in my original Turtle pet. The Boss cant kill me, he has to kill the pet first who has aggro. It took forever for the boss mob to kill my turtle. When my turtle was about to die, I ran far away from the boss. When the boss mob killed my turtle, since I was very far, I was able to revive my Turtle before the Boss reached me... I feigned death and the Turtle got the aggro again. I solo'd that Boss while my dead party watched how I did it. LOL.

Ferocity pets can tank but Tenacity pets are tankier when the going gets tough.
4 Likes
The correct answer is Core Hound. It might seem unintuitive, but ferocity pets are better for tanking because of the 15% leech they get. On top of this, Core Hound does extra damage thanks to its thorns-like ability which means it heals itself for more than other pets.
4 Likes
08/27/2018 09:41 PMPosted by Jhannae
My Ferocity pets can tank most of the stuffs. But when the going gets tough, I bring in any of my Tenacity pets.

[/quote]

agree with this. I am using Devilsaur and he never die while leveling.
no issue till 119
1 Like
Been using a corehound. Any ferocity pet with a damage shield is pretty spot on and will outperform a tenacity pet any day of the week.
4 Likes
Bees.
Never go wrong with bees.

Though this is spot on...

08/27/2018 04:13 PMPosted by Yaldrik
For BM spirit beasts and clefthooves.

For all else, scalehides
1 Like
My clefthoof can tank mythic island expeditions, usually 3 elites or 1 rare and 1 elite. I would go with that for pve solo.
1 Like
I have better luck with my tenacity pets. The gorilla and my core hound do very well.
I think it all depends on what u want to achieve really.

Personally i used a bear or Arcturis (yes im a fat race who like fat pets) and they're fine.

I did bit of switching pets in and out from stables for pets utilities to bring along during questing due to BFA pet revamps, and have been testing on who is the best tank.

A. Do you need specific utility to counter a crucial make or break mechanism?

Yes - Use it unless the damage reduction outweighs the mechanism's challenge.
No - Go B.

B. How hard does the mob hit?

If it's hard (potentially killing the pet or bursty), go C.
If its not (sustainable by mend pet or close), go D.

C. How long is the duration of the fight?

If it's short (<1min), Quillen/Bear/Oxen.
if it's long (1min+), go E.

D. Will you take damage? (aoe or alternate targeting spell)

Yes - Spirit Beast/Clefthoof
No - go F.

E. Does the damage consist mainly physical?

Yes - Krolusk
No - Any of Quillen, bear, oxen, krolusk, turtle or beetle.

F. Does it involve fast attacking melee or multiple melee crowd mob?

Yes - Corehound/Feathermane/Dragonhawk/Toad
No - Any pet will do the job.

Just my 2 cents. Hope that helps. In truth, it really doesnt make much difference, most pet can get the job done, unless u need more than just a pet that is hard to die and good at surviving/self sustaining. I believe the above chart would apply to even solo outdated raids.

I've had quite the opposite experience. Tenacity pets look tankier with that extra health and survival cooldown, but 20% damage reduction for 6 seconds every 3 minutes doesn't ever beat passive 15% leech. Just pick one with its own personal shield wall (clefthoof, scalehide).

For BM, nothing is tougher than a clefthoof with its Blood of the Rhino passive (+10% armor, +20% healing received).

And you get Heroism/Bloodlust as a bonus.
2 Likes
09/09/2018 05:45 AMPosted by Komara

I've had quite the opposite experience. Tenacity pets look tankier with that extra health and survival cooldown, but 20% damage reduction for 6 seconds every 3 minutes doesn't ever beat passive 15% leech. Just pick one with its own personal shield wall (clefthoof, scalehide).

For BM, nothing is tougher than a clefthoof with its Blood of the Rhino passive (+10% armor, +20% healing received).

And you get Heroism/Bloodlust as a bonus.

Yeah this is truly a case of more dps or more def stats conundrum for tanks. Personally im a bear and wolf person, and sometimes ravager, cleft hoof is abit too big for a pet for me lol. but i must admit it is a more all rounded pet than others, perhaps not in the aspects of pvp but yeah.
i noticed that OP has animal companion. one thing that hurts a lot for open world tanking is animal companion, since the mechanics of the talent basically reduce your pet's damage to 55% and then gives you a second pet that also does 55%. the reason this hurts is a lot of your pet's survability will come from his leech and having Animal Companion feat basically means your pet is leeching for 45% less.
1 Like
08/27/2018 11:18 PMPosted by Duskraven
Been using a corehound. Any ferocity pet with a damage shield is pretty spot on and will outperform a tenacity pet any day of the week.

Just remember, clefthooves have Blood of the Rhino, which means they take 10% less physical dmg, and they also take extra healing.

No other pet in the game has that ability.
3 Likes