What mistakes have you made in vanilla, that you'll try to avoid now?

As a hardcore warrior player. Do yourself a favor when leveling up. Make a priority list and stick hard to it.

-Prior to 40, save for mount. Buy nothing except repairs. Sell every single thing you get (yes even that good blue BOE that you picked up) Once you pass the 90G threshold, then you can use that blue for yourself.

-After I got my mount my next priority was getting mats for an enchant for my weapon at 51 (ice barbed spear). Made leveling so much easier.

-Once you got those, enjoy your savings and go from there…After that I a started to aim for Hit % rating items in a few slots. Leveling to 60 was a breeze after that

5 Likes

I won’t be rolling a hunter…boy did they scale poorly and I really didn’t find out till around lvl 40 that melee hunter in pve wasn’t a thing…oh to be young and dumb again.

I also won’t be drinking 24 mountain dews a weekend…boy was that horrible for me.

3 Likes

my biggest mistake was playing on a pvp server.

11 Likes

Rolling a class that has to constantly buff other people, and not just an easy buff like “click and you’re done”, this is the kind of buff that EVERYONE complains.

“I wanted salv, not kings!”, “why would you put wisdom, give me kings!”, “kings? I wanted might!”, etc. Just dreadful.

5 Likes

My biggest mistake was playing on a pve server.

2 Likes

I wanted to have variety in roles so I rolled hybrid. Unfortunately, my mistake was that “hybrids” could only heal and the only class that could do more than 1 role was warrior. So I (and MANY others) will be correcting that mistake that was made at the character creation screen.

3 Likes

I won’t level as a protection warrior…

i did not used AH on leveling. I was sell all items on NPC vendors.

7 Likes

Playing a paladin from the beginning thinking I’ll actually tank often in raids.

3 Likes

Yeah this time you will be drinking at least 24 beers per weekend :smiley:
That is gonna be way better haha.

4 Likes

This thought did cross my mind haha I will try my best to stay away from beer and the hard stuff but major milestones will be a great excuse for a drink.

3 Likes

Choosing ret because the lore and archetype appeal to me because I had no idea the game was as imbalanced as it is. Warrior this time.

3 Likes
  1. Trying to find quests to do instead of just accepting the grind in certain areas.

2. I’ll choose a different profession besides engineering this time around

3. Save my gold instead of trying to worry about buying leveling gear

1 Like

Biggest mistake I made in vanilla was initially rolling on PvP realms. To be fair, I didn’t even know there was a distinction or that PvE realms existed – only that I was rolling on one realm that my daughter raided on and another realm my son’s friends had picked.

I got a dwarf hunter all the way to her 30s before STV drained my soul. I mailed everything I had to my son’s character and deleted here, which is when he mentioned “Oh, there are PvE realms.” >_< Rerolled on PvE. Discovered RP servers. Rerolled on RP.

I won’t make those mistakes. I know server types and will be rolling RP-PvE for my main character(s) and only some alts on RP-PvP if things work out that I stick around for a long time.

4 Likes

Mine was not utilizing the economy to my advantage. Instead of selling the stack of linen for 20s, I’d vendor it for copper, then buy the bags off the trade goods vendor.

A big part of that was not having anyone who was experience to play with and show me the ropes. Haha!

6 Likes

WoW was my first MMO. I didn’t have a clue as to what I was doing. I was in awe of the world and the fact I was playing an RPG where I could see other peoples toons running around. I played all different classes (all low levels) and when I saw an Epic piece of gear on another character I was like “Whoa look at those stats!”. Found out you can “Raid” and get Epic loot so I decided to level a healer for a Raid guild. By this time guilds were already in AQ and I have not even seen the inside of MC yet. So yea, I will have a primary toon and maybe an alt after I hit 60.

1 Like

Plate repair costs were no joke. :cry:

Buying every new skill rank as soon as it was available is definitely up there with respect to being able to afford mounts.

Or trying to level as prot outside of dungeons. =/

rolled a dps paladin main, never got to do anything except solo stuff (like the mount)

never again

2 Likes

Oh good Lord, this. Also, not using downranked spells.

2 Likes

I had a bit of a similar experience. With how much we’ve all learned over the years I think we have a better idea on how to group with like-minded people and get to doing content together instead of just solo-ing random quests out in the wilds for months.

18 Likes