What kind of performance are you getting on your laptop?

Good afternoon,
With the amount of travel I do for work I’d like to be able to continue playing World of Warcraft (Retail) while at the various hotels. I’ve been checking out Google and Youtube for recommendations on a Laptop that’ll handle WOW on Ultra settings at a steady 60 fps.

If I’m being honest, this isn’t much of a feat anymore. I just ask because I want to get my money’s worth.

That’s why here I am asking you, if you’re playing WOW on a Laptop, with your settings maxed out. (I’m spoiled, I play Maxed out on my desktop and I cannot go back) what kind of performance are you getting and would you recommend others buy the Laptop you’re using?

Thank you

During Legion I was using an ASUS RoG model. It wasn’t ultra graphics, but it was up there. Downside was a high price tag, heavy weight, and unusual size.

Playing WoW on most modern laptop is trivial. If you do long session your laptop may thermal throttle.

Was using a razer blade 14 as my main system during Covid times as I traveled between locations.

Do I recommend this? For the price absolutely not. Only if you want a slim laptop with a MacBook Pro ish feel. Razer also throttles the cpu to keep temps in line. That may or may not be a concerning factor for you.

I’d go for the competition. Asus or Lenovo has pretty good offerings for around the 1k mark with similar specs.

I have a 17 inch Asus from Best Buy with a RTX 3050ti…it cost $850. I play WoW graphics set on 7 which is High or more…and view distance on 10. I get 50 to 120 fps depending on where I’m at. I could play on ultra but I want more than 60 fps and I don’t want my laptop to be under maximum pressure I guess. The difference between High and Ultra is hardly noticeable really.

not a laptop gamer here, but heat is the enemy of gaming. that’s why desktops are generally better… because of space for cooling.

gotta find a lappy that has good cooling, which usually means thicker laptops

Lenovo Legion 5 Pro
Lenovo Legion 7
MSI Raider
Asus Rog Series
All 4 laptops are essentially considered desktop replacements

One of the most important things is to make sure the laptop you are getting has a Mux switch. This lets your graphics card work as a dedicated GPU and disables the igpu just like it would on a desktop.

I prefer the Legion laptops just because their graphics cards are full wattage graphics cards so you would get higher FPS just be aware that means you’re going to have a rather large power supply brick and will of course consume more power

I have the 16" Ryzen Lenovo Legion 5 Pro with a rtx 3070 and I play at 1440p. I have Ray tracing disabled and I don’t think I’ve ever seen it drop under 60fps

As a brief side note the Lenovo Legion laptops come with an in-home warranty so if anything goes wrong they send a tech to your house to fix it which is a lot more convenient than having to send your laptop into a repair facility

1 Like

It’s really not that hard to run WoW well.

A 16" M1 Pro MacBook Pro can run WoW at 1728x1117 (50% the built in screen’s resolution) consistently above the screen’s 120hz refresh rate with most settings turned up, even in intense zones like Ardenweald.

That machine is not really built for gaming at all, and its GPU is equivalent to maybe an RTX 2060 or 2070. Just about any gaming laptop should have no trouble with WoW.

I have a 17" Lenovo Legion with a 5800h, 16GB RAM, 3060, and it pounds out WoW with 60+ FPS on Ultra.