What is the point of having a flying mount if I can't fly everywhere?

That’s exactly what they did. Blizzard (Ion) wanted to kill flying, and basically announced they were removing flight from all future content. People got extremely ticked off, and cancellations started flying, so Blizzard grudgingly backed off. We still didn’t get the actual Draenor Pathfinder until some time later, and it felt intentionally punitive towards players.

They’ve eased up on later expansions, but WoD was basically a complete screw up. From the original interview that started the kerfluffle:

“The world feels larger, feels more dangerous,” he says. “There’s more room for exploration, for secrets, for discovery and overall immersion in the world. At this point, we feel that outdoor gameplay in World of Warcraft is ultimately better without flying. We’re not going to be reintroducing the ability to fly in Draenor, and that’s kind of where we’re at going forward.”

Hazziokostas confirms that this direction includes future expansions, though he doesn’t discount the possibility of adding flight options in to specific expansion ideas or zones that would benefit from it. In general, though, he believes that exploration in Blizzard’s massive world “works better and feels better in our view when you’re doing it from the ground.”

1 Like

Now dont you go being logical and making sense :wink:

from that link…

World of Warcraft is full of memorable moments that are only possible when players explore the world by ground," he writes.

yeah…i guess he also likes to TELL players how they personally enjoy the game. I mean, Im just a brainless lemming who cant figure out on my own what I like in my game :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Pathfinder maybe distasteful to some but it really helps out with the crazies (like myself) that have over 20 alts.

The ever increasing flight costs is crippling when you have to buy it for so many.

:+1:
They could have just ADDED PF in for those who like doing achievements without screwing the rest of us over.
I dont mind grinding for the gold to get flight per character personally.
But of course, with as spiteful as this company has become Im sure theyd make it like half a million gold PER character or some such crap just to get back at us for our being brazen enough to make suggestions to them so we even want to play their game. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

“You’re going to have fun the way we want you to and you’re going to like it, or unsub”.

“You think flying is good, but it’s not”.

Honestly, can’t believe they remove flying just because the game director hates it. Is his happiness more important than many, if not most of the customers - people who wants flying? People who pays His salary? People who kept WoW running?

5 Likes

The best part was when they did it on a Friday afternoon by dropping an interview, not on the actual WoW site, when it was announced. There was a huge flamewar on the General forums, and they were bombarded with outraged players over it.

It was seriously a terrible decision at the time.

3 Likes

Oh I agree. More options is always a better plan.

2 Likes

:+1:
Just like removing first aid…and master loot.
Absolutely no good reason to just outright remove them.
Tons of players used first aid. what was the point of nullifying all their work?
THIS is why Im done with this game.
At any frikkin second Ion can decide ‘I dont like master loot’…‘I dont like first aid’…‘I dont like flight’…‘I dont like MOP portals’…and WE have to deal with losing the work WE put in to get some of that crap, or losing tools we used to play the game how we enjoy.

Whats next?
“I dont like pet battles”
“I dont like fishing”
“I dont like fill in the stupid blank”
…and WE lose something else WE enjoyed.

nah…I’ll keep one sub going because my nephew who lives a couple states away likes to play and wants us to join up with him.
But I aint working for ANYTHING in this game again while Ion is making the game his own personal playground.

This is a lie. In order for it to occur naturally, you have to run world quests for weeks or months after you hit max level. If it happened naturally, you’d hit it as you leveled in each zone.

I’ve got your effort…

2 Likes

if they had flying right at the beginning, you would be able to finish the quests in no time instead of the time it takes now. they dont put in the same effort into the expansions like they used to. that is why everything is gated, to keep you playing longer. instead of making content that keeps you going through out the expansion, they did this.

everything is easier now, so things get finished quickly. this is just another way to slow things down

What the hell makes your opinions more valuable than others? You’ve been trying to tell people how it is in this thread, and you don’t develop crap in this game. So stop pissing on my feet and tell me it’s raining.

2 Likes

Wrong.
You get PF when following a very UNnatural EXACT SEQUENCE to get it.
NATURALLY would be ‘as I enjoy playing the game’…like max level and gold which DO come NATURALLY by just playing the game in any way I choose to play…not ‘do as your told and you’ll get it’…which is the exact opposite of naturally for a lot of us who dont enjoy playing like you do…and like Ion commands.

1 Like

Because too many people with WoD minded game designe preferences still have jobs at blizzard, unfortunately. Until they are fired or leave we will be getting this mindset. We cant have them designing encounters, level design, and ect around flying. That would be expecting too much from the devs, apparently.

With the flight whistle, as well as direct flight paths allover, I really see no need for a flying mount anymore except to herb and mine.

By the time we get flying, I’ve already done all the quests in the new areas which are in irritating places (caves, up mountains, other terrain obstacles, etc.)

About the only thing flying would help then is WQ’s in irritating areas, such as the mountain in Stormsong (where you have to run fairly far, from the flight path, past lizards and stuff.)

Which is EXACTLY what its needed for. otherwise the time getting around between mountains, etc just makes farming not worth the effort investment.

MY game consists of dungeons and farming. I played 8 hours a day and was quite content for two stinking years doing just that.
And then Ion got greedy.

:+1::+1:
yeah…god forbid they actually write the story lines taking a commonly used game mechanic into account
The horror…the horror…

1 Like

Considering I wanted Dark Iron and Kul Tirans, at least 2 of those reps had to be exalted. I don’t really raid and guess what I did in my free time? Exactly, WQ’s. Tell me, is 8.2 out yet? No? So I’m sitting here with Path Finder Part One complete.

Where’s the barrier? I had more than enough time to be prepared.

…and I have your weak attempt of rebuttal.

Yes, remember this yourself…hypocrite.

Are you bugged? I fly just find in areas I can fly. shrug. Are you talking about BfA zones. OH. Tough… Walk like they did before they added flying.

I want an alternate choice for unlocking flying, at the price of 2/3 the gold cap. Who doesn’t have money will work, who have it will pay a great price. It’s a good way to dump excess gold.

1 Like