What is party sync for?

I tried grouping with a lower level to help her do quests but when we party synced all her quests became locked and unable to get any credit towards them.

Am I doing this wrong? Thought it was created specifically for helping out lower levels.

Have them be the party leader and initiate party sync themselves. If I recall, that was the solution when I was helping a friend unlock Highmountain some months back.

2 Likes

No even if they are party leader and initiate party sync all their quests have the padlock icon and hovering over it says they cannot earn credit until party sync is disabled.

I’ve given up though and will not be trying anything else. No more need to reply.

Although you said no need to reply, in case it helps you for the future or anyone else reading this post, if you activate party sync in a zone you haven’t quested in, but the other person has quested there, their existing quests will be locked out until you reach the point that you can complete those. They will be able to replay all the other quests up to that point and gain experience with you until you reach their questing point. Their quests should unlock at that point and you can both complete them. So party sync is useful to be able to gain XP together regardless of where someone is at in the chain, but if the other person doesn’t want to redo quests to catch you up, it is not. It doesn’t allow anyone to skip ahead in a quest chain, but rather lets the other person redo what they’ve done and get benefit from it while working together.

3 Likes

Thanks for this clarification Marwenna. Would someone be able to answer this question for me?

I have two friends who are casually playing. One about level 20, the other one about 40. Let’s say that I am level 50-60. It seems party sync would enable me to level with them. In the one time we tried though, I didn’t notice any scaling and I one shot enemies. (Does the initiator of the sync matter?)

Basically what steps, besides creating a new character (that will eventually desync with their levels), are necessary for me to play with either of these two friends? I don’t even care about quests, but just being an asset to them.

1 Like

You’re welcome, Jabren! I can answer this since I’ve been dealing with the same issue just this week. Before the level squish and Chromie time came about, this would be a lot more feasible with party sync, as all zones scaled up to the max bracket for that expansion. So all vanilla zones could be leveled in until 60 and so on just with party sync and regardless of level. The issue seems to be that now that the zones are scaled down into segments (you only get XP in Duskwood up to 30, for example) you still need Chromie time to do this effectively, which you can’t use after 50.

If you go and quest in Duskwood with a party of a level 10, level 30, and level 50, without Chromie time, the 50 would one-shot things because the normal zone scaling ends at level 30. You can’t activate Chromie time because then the level 10 and 30 wouldn’t be able to see the level 50 due to phasing. What we discovered is that the one place you still can do this with party sync (and without Chromie time) is BFA because Tiragarde Sound scales from 10-50, Drustvar 25-50, and Stormsong Valley from 35-50. So when you scale back down to 50 with your party you are not one-shotting things.

As an aside, if they are new, they will not be able to use Chromie time anyway until they’ve leveled a character to 50 once, so they will either have to move through zones as they scale a bit more quickly to get XP, or they will most easily quest through BFA all the way to 50.

The initiator of the sync shouldn’t matter, it will scale to the lowest level party member. You can also queue for dungeons and battlegrounds as a group with party sync active, but would be restricted to BFA-only dungeons without Chromie time.

It looks like you can see the zone level requirements here on this Wowhead page or if you are in-game, you can go to the map for the continent you are looking to quest in and hover over each zone to see the levels listed at the top of map.

It makes me a bit sad because I was looking forward to doing some post-50 leveling with friends in other zones as I love exploring the world, but this is the best workaround I can find. Otherwise, starting a new character would be your best bet to be able to pick any zone to quest with them. I have lots of alts I want to play, so this is not a problem for me :slight_smile:

I hope that helps and wasn’t too overwhelming. If you have any questions, let me know!

2 Likes

My friends and I can’t thank you enough for this comprehensive response that made clear so many things we were struggling to find information on. Thank you for applying your experience. We’ll set our focus on BFA zones.

All the best Marwenna and thanks again!

1 Like

I’m so glad I could help, Jabren! Happy questing to you and your friends :slight_smile:

4 Likes