What is "objectively" better in Classic

“people having a different idea” of what a word means does not mean the entirety of the word is open for opinion and interpretation.

word definitions changing is the exception in language, not the rule. 99% of the time, a word means exactly what it means and it doesnt give a **** what you “think” it means.

that being said, the term “RPG” is certainly a very broad categorization :wink:

2 Likes

Quest rewards actually meaning something in classic, getting something every level that you can replace, its really sad how many times retail has been stat squished now you keep getting quest rewards that are the same or worse then what you got…

The level up experience is so bad on retail now I keep getting items as I level up that say more item level but have way less stats, its clearly not working as intended anymore… its not just cosmetic number changes like they promised, the quest rewards have actually gotten much worse over time.

I feel like retail has been ruined by too many changes, its unfixable at this point which is why I would rather go back and play something old then get any more expansions and deal with more stat or level squishes.

Honestly Blizzard should of just made a WoW 2 after the epic conclusion of Wrath, they ruined the original game too much with their changes in Cataclysm and onward, it just made a large portion of the player base quit. And they still won’t make a WoW 2 because now its too much work compared to making mobile games…

9 Likes

Progression. Crafting. The community.

The world, Chico. And everything in it.

3 Likes

Professions are hot garbage in Retail and have been pretty garbage for a while now. There’s no reason at all to do them except for collectibles, I guess.

Back in the old days, it was solid in its simplicity. There was no “regional crafting” or any junk like that. It leveled from 0 to 300 (was it 300 back then or am I mistaken?) by fusing materials into advanced materials or finished goods. Your profession had meaning and could make you money, or offer you upgrades or even change your playstyle!

Professions back then just added so much to your character and that alone was enough reason to pick Professions and invest time into them. There’s a constant inquiry about “which Professions for my class and goals?” but in Retail the answer to that question always seems to be “a complete waste of time”. Because gold is trivial, profession gear is a joke, and several professions like Engineering and Inscription have been pruned and stripped to the bone of anything fun or exciting.

Edit: I should also point out that consumables were far more important back then, as was food buffs. First Aid was almost required rather than…removed from the game.

4 Likes

Objectively… nothing

I’m confused, why do you think this? You can craft Mythic level BoP gear with professions and they have unique perks like doubling your flask duration. Not to mention, you can still make a ton of gold with gathering professions.

I don’t think professions are as different between the two games as people think they are. I’d still give the edge to professions in Classic in terms of usefulness though.

2 Likes

The game play, the story, the community, the world, the content, the class design, the reward structure, the leveling content, the professions, and the fun factor.

4 Likes

ITT: people who do not know what “objectively” means.

1 Like

That’s very subjective

1 Like

Ok I guess I cant be objectively certain they do not know what objectively means… how ever I can be objective in stating they are listing non objective things as objective in this thread.

By using the word “objective” they are simply reaffirming their total alienation from the modern game. Do not take it personally.

2 Likes

Ok lets list the things in this thread:
World - is better looking and better designed in retail.
RPG - you have more impactful choices with talents in retail, you role is better defined, tmog aids RP.
Story - much better in retail(it exists)
Community - more ways in the game to encourage people to group up and more content that requires grouping up in retail.
Graphics - looks much better in retail.
Gear - gear never gets invalidated, if you grind ilvl 410 ypur gear is still 410 when the patch comes out just now there is new gear that is better that you can get, this is the same as classic when you get MC gear its still MC gear when BWL drops but its no longer BiS.
Professions - basically the same in both, can get high quality raid gear in both classic and retail and make good money doing it.
Class design - FAR better in retail, most classes are essentially the same 1 to 3 buttons in vanilla. Balance is a joke causing many other problems.
Difficulty - Much higher in retail.

But again almost all of that is subjective, and none of it says that classic is bad.

Only thing in that list that is objective is that retail has more impactful talent choices.

2 Likes

You actually do damage in PvP.
The damage you do on your screen in pvp is the same damage the other player sees and receives.
The game isn’t trash.

3 Likes

I think you mean “subjectively” better. Objectively would need measurable outcomes that are data driven.

1 Like

I think that is why he put “objectively” in quotes, to indicate the incorrect usage. If he wrote “subjectively” it wouldn’t need to be in quotes. There is also no way to objectively prove something is better, better is a subjective term.

1 Like

Drug trials. Objective data to prove one drug is better than the other.

Speed in cars, objectively measuring horsepower to determine which car is more powerful.

There are plenty of ways.

I agree with most of this, but I’ll be a bit fair towards classic.

Story inconsistency is a problem now due to all the expansion-specific content areas, but at least there is actually some form of story presentation whereas in classic WoW it was very anaemic.

It is true that there is less of a server-centric community now, but the flipside is that you can now interact and befriend people you would have otherwise never met in Classic due to server barriers. Plus, I find that here on Barthilas you do see familiar names and conversations happening in the chat channels regardless of the cross-server functionality.

Gear does get invalidated. This is a real issue, but the flipside is that they actually ensure that you are adequately rewarded for the later raids. Classic had this problem where the later raids had gear that was marginally better in many cases, and sometimes actually worse. That really sucks, especially since the later raids were much more difficult. I also think this argument that “what I do now doesn’t matter because in 4 months there’s new replacement content” is a nonsense argument. By that argument none of Classic mattered at all because Burning Crusade came out. The memories and the accomplishments of each content tier do matter, even if the gear ends up not mattering eventually.p

Class design: I’ve been a vocal critic of class design in Legion and BFA, but that’s because I’m comparing it to a period where I think class design was at its best: MoP and WoD (to some extent). I’d still rather play BFA classes than Classic. Having a refined gameplay loop for every spec is really cool and despite claims to the contrary they legitimately feel different. I get a different gameplay experience when switching between BM and MM, whereas in Classic both specs played largely the same with mostly passive differences. Also, while the classes are pruned, we still have a lot of cool utility that was added some time after classic. As a Hunter we have things like Disengage, Camouflage, Bursting Shot, Aspect of the Turtle, and so on which didn’t exist in Classic, even if we lost things like Scare Beast, Tranquilising Shot, and Distracting Shot (although I would still like those back), and frankly I think the minimum range, forced melee, and deadzone all sucked. So I have much more fun playing a Hunter on live than on classic, even though I had much more fun playing in MoP than I did on live.

On topic: pretty much the only thing I think was better about classic was providing challenges while leveling, even if most of the challenge was dependent on shoddy class design. Also add to that the lack of some really crappy systems like titanforging.

Oh, and Survival was still ranged.

2 Likes

You are not mistaken. It was

You could go over 300, but except for skinning and engineering battle pet levels I don’t think there was any benefit.

1 Like

Socializing is a night and day difference between the two. As some quest required a full group to accomplish

1 Like