What if the bad guys win?

What if, during some part of the main campaign, there is a fully animated in-game cinematic of our characters being disenchanted like Varian, either literally or in some N’zoth-style hallucination where we end up having an extra spooky corpse run or have to pilot some lore NPC to rescue our own characters?

What if we have another Garrosh scenario of the bad guys achieving some part of their goal that affects the world or players beyond “There is no sword in Silithus”?

The “force the player to suffer losses” trope tends to be a rather effective way to build up a bad guy, however few of them seem to be employed well in Warcraft lately in the way that most of the characters being blasted are not our own (which causes other debates like Sylv just one-shotting Saurfang) or set up in such a way that “being nearly killed” by the big bad in cinematics is at most a few second stun and an “Oh, okay then.”

2 Likes

I wouldn’t mind.

Who knows maybe this could happen.

Xala is a powerful lady.

I kinda would like Anduin to legit become a bad guy. None of that chains of domination stuff, just straight up turn against us permanently.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure we win every single expansion.

The “dark side” won a lot; Cataclysm, Warlords of Draenor, Legion, Battle for Azeroth, and Shadowlands all launched…

3 Likes

was the best expansion ive ever played

12 class storylines

4 Likes

Eww, farming Artifact Power started the nightmare of farming a currency to stay relevant. Miss a day? You’re forever behind!

And don’t even get me started on Legiondaries…

4 Likes

the good outweighed the bad

The good was outweighed by the bad*.

nah bfa was where bad outweighed the good

i get it u hate story so the expansion sucked for u

u also hate class identity

Depends on what you mean by “Win”. In many Stories and Movies where the “Villains” have won in the end. Sometimes only to lose again in a later story; in others its later Revealed the so called “Villain” was right and by not siding with them we are all destined to cause our own demise now. Like in Watchmen.

So what do you mean by “win” ? Thanos snap win? or Just she flat out wins? Im ok with that as long as in the end its revealed that Xal’atath and Fryakk were right and the Titans were the TRUE evil. Her doing whatever she is currently up to Saves Azeroth or Gives us an ACTUAL fighting chance going into Midnight. Maybe by allying with the Void?

Id be fine with that and it would make a GREAT story; but lets face it here… Everything I just said is too deep for current Blizzard writers.

Agreed.

2 Likes

A bad guys win thing to me only really works if its like. A trilogy. Just so they can do what star wars did where the good guys are not in a great place by the end of the 2nd movie. Makes the 3rd movie have a payoff.

I don’t see that happening with a mmo

The bad guys did win, the stupid dirt elves got their tree back and they didn’t even have to lift a finger. :pensive:

Agreed

I still think what I said 2 post up would be an epic story. But its too deep for Blizzard Writers sadly.

I absolutely hate it when games make a fight be a scripted loss. If I’m beating the poop out of the boss and then he just suddenly one shots out of nowhere I hate it. Looking at you Zenos.

If I’m supposed to lose then don’t even make it a fight.

3 Likes

Id prefer the badguys getting a major win only if the playerbase failed as a collective. Do enough of an activity to turn back the tides or dont do enough and fail.

The Titans are sketchy but that doesn’t mean you can trust Xal’atath either. My money’s on “neither of them has our best interests in mind, and we need to stop either side from winning”.

So like Argus, The Unmaker?

Something tells me Xala and Iridikron win war within and because of that it leads into that whole Silvermoon getting destroyed thing Midnight supposedly has in it. Then it pops off as we start gaining ground again leading up to the conclusive clash in Last Titan

Hell BFA had that. Azshara succeeded in releasing N’zoth. Only for us to beat up N’zoth in the next patch… Thanks Blizzard for wasting N’zoth like that.

Not to mention that from the Hordes / Zandalari PoV, the villains of the Battle of Dazar’alor raid (aka the Alliance) won as well. We destroyed their fleet and killed their King. While none of the main players on the Alliance died. Gelbin came close though.

I wasnt saying thats whats going on. Was saying it would be cool if it did

Enemy of my enemy is my friend. Just sayin