What if races had talent trees?

Then blood elf paladins and priests are both benched from all PvE content because having a baseline Tuft is objectively worse than the abilities they’d lose.

It’d be a good way to go back to the RPG in this MMO. Not everything needs to revolve around competitive play. The hyper focus on competitive play is making this game bland as Colin Robinson. Without the hilarity, and all the actual boredom.

I mean. They could do something like…

Goblin

Profession racial : Goblins. Choosing between engineering/ alchemy/ increased resources while mining.

Damage racial-
1%Haste. (Default), lucky time (1%crit), or a rocket spell on a 2-3 minute cd.

Defensive Racial
Rocket jump/blast (default), explosive expert (1 % resistance to fire magic), Decoy drop summons a decoy that takes a few hit for 3 seconds.

Flavor racial
summon assistant (default), summon mail box, summon goblin car from starting zone.

Flavor racial
(permenant lowest prices for rep vendors), human racial bonus (10% rep bonus), Smooth talker - lower transmog prices.

It could honestly give both alliance and horde races some racials from other races but with another name too.

Not everything needs to revolve around competitive play, but you also can’t just ignore competitive play when adding things or making changes. Power creep on race choice will have major impacts that will make players feel pressured to race change, reroll, or even just choose a race they don’t really want to be at initial character creation.

It’s far better for race choice to remain largely irrelevant to character power so people can choose their race because they really like its lore or aesthetic, and not because it’s objectively stronger. We already went down that road with Covenants, and look how that worked out.

You mean a geno tree well that 'll do enough to cause a problem.

Greatbrae made a thread for this awhile back.

It would be an interesting idea and could be used to do sub races fairly well since they’re making some of them customizations rather than ARs.

Wildhammer for instance would be nice to have their Stormhammers and Gryphon racials instead of the Bronzebeard ones.

Be even more neat if this could give you access down the line to get like extra heritage armor, tabard and mount stuff. Maybe it even changes how NPCs refer to you.

I’d still let it give you several choices for the sub races as well as the main race too.

3 Likes

What is this? ESO?

Yea. It would be nice to see the talent tree effect stuff in world content too.

Sort of like pocopoc stuff.

And leave them minor stuff for competitive.

Like I can imagine soubd world content trickets that boost the effect if racial bonuses or active abilities.

But cant be used in comptetive play.

Like imagine a trinket that boosts the pandaren racial. Or even just the buff getting a baseline buff of food buffs persisting through deaths.

2 Likes

No one CAN ignore competitive play in WoW right now, so it’s way too far gone. You haven’t had a stitch of fun or whimsy this thread YET. Not even a ‘what if’.

There are literally examples of flavor style racial talents, right above your post. There are so many more things to this game that don’t revolve around spells, stats or gear, and it just flies past players. Competitive play is blinding the remaining population, and it is hurting creativity and the game.

Anything that helps me further distinguish myself more towards a Wildhammer Dwarf, I’m all for!, I Approve :+1:t4:.

Next though I’d love different Racials Identity…I’d do anything and I mean anything for it to say “60 Wildhammer Dwarf Shaman”… :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

3 Likes

same reason i felt race halls made more sense than class halls to push a campaign story

1 Like

I think racial talents would be neat. If not talents, maybe more racial ability options instead of the same 2 that we’ve pretty much had since Vanilla…

1 Like

And the racial rants would be even worse because XXXX is OP. Game over. SCREEEAAAAMMMMM!!!

YESSSSSS!!!

I LOVE this idea!!!

Blizzard HIRE THIS MAN!!

It’d be especially useful to make subraces more unique, like Wildhammers from Dwarves or High elves from velves

2 Likes

I’m going to sneak on to the I-Think-This-Is-A-Really-Bad-Idea train.
/choochoo

1 Like

There are ways to make it so the racials are not overpowered. Heck many racial options could just be reskinned existing racials. Like what if for Wildhammer you get a racial called Stormhammer and it’s just a reskin of warstomp. Briefly stuns everything around you.

(this assumes every race gets a smattering of racials)

5 Likes

Yea reskinning abilitiies like that could give each faction access to different racials. Imagine a horde version of shadowmeld. xD. That would mean comps being able to pick 2 or more races.

5 Likes

Exactly. That would really let blizzard expand racials without causing too much fuss on balance. Its almost a win win.

3 Likes

I love this idea OP. I would love some gem enthusiast perk that let me craft Draenei themed cosmetic jewelry as customization options.

4 Likes

That sounds like a nice idea. Maybe like a profession based tree could offer unique recipes.

3 Likes