What happened to Wildstar

I never played it, but had a friend tell me how they miss it and I didn’t even have any inkling to play. What was so good and why did it die?

1 Like

It died because it was too hardcore, from what I heard.

6 Likes

Eh. It wasn’t really a “finished” game. Buggy, bad performance issues, bad PvP class balance, lack of content for features people wanted to do, lots of bad features people didn’t want to do, etc.

It had a good core combat loop, a fun setting, and good hardcore raids, and that’s basically it.

8 Likes

Housing.

It had the most awesome housing system.

11 Likes

They took players advice.

9 Likes

What happens when you get a game by the elites, and for the elites? Now you know the answer.

24 Likes

i just remember i feel behined on leveling and when i came back a month later the game was a ghost town

3 Likes

They only marketed toward “hardcore” players, making it have no casual player base to keep it afloat

12 Likes

It was a game with so much potential, but it was just very poorly thought out. The housing system was one of the best ever created, and the ‘active’ combat system felt good.

• Attunement was convoluted and long, and if you fell behind you weren’t getting it done
  • There was limited stuff for ‘casual’ players to do, and again if you fell behind because you didn’t spend 10 hours a day playing you were out of luck
  • It was extremely difficult to find groups for dungeons while levelling
  • Dungeons were challenging and required strong group coordination (like multiple interrupts within 5s)
  • Things like interrupts weren’t baseline, so if you took the wrong spells to an instance you were going to fail
  • Limited QOL, because it was designed to be like Vanilla WoW.
  • The devs were elitists and blatantly said that they had no interest in casuals. Sure enough, players quit and suddenly there weren’t enough people to maintain the game
  • From memory it was sold to a somewhat dodgy company who had their own ideas and treated it more like a cash-grab mobile game than a longterm MMO
  • No one was really sure who the intended audience was, as it was very cartoony and had a lot of silly humour aimed at a younger audience
  • ‘Active’ directional healing felt really bad, which made healers scarce

As said above, it was a game that had so much potential but it was just run into the ground and the devs etc couldn’t be bothered to try to fix it.

11 Likes

They listened to the players.

6 Likes

This is ultimately why it died. It was not a finished product and it showed, hard.

1 Like

Stupid stuff like this is exactly why I quit ArcheAge early.

4 Likes

if ur bored

4 Likes

So much this. ^

4 Likes

Bugs.
Balance Issues.
New Servers.
Hardcore marketing.
PvP was lackluster.
Housing was nice, but not enough to save the game.

2 Likes

This right here. :point_up:

1 Like

ArcheAge beta was entirely different from live. And it was sooooo much better in beta.

They took all of our feedback from beta, ignored it, then went silent for a while and suddenly the game was released and it looked and played nothing like beta. It was absolutely flabbergasting.

1 Like

I liked the world and the ideas they had but the combat could get buggy when it was good it was good but it was a high learning curve and I think when you come from WoW you are used to a certain type of combat. As a casual I prefer WoW but I joined wildstar in beta and was really hyped for it. I had a cute little Aurin spellslinger

It just needed more.
More content fewer bugs and optimization, the world was stunning but it could bog you down too.

1 Like

Google is a great idea, especially since this is a World of Warcraft forum. There is even a forum available for information and discussion on other games.

2 Likes

One of the key selling points of WildStar was the return of 40-man raiding*, but the game engine was horribly optimized for large groups. Just hanging out in one of the capital cities would turn the game into a slideshow, and I had a pretty decent computer for the time.

*At launch there was a 20-man raid (Genetic Archives) and a 40-man raid (Datascape). Datascape was later changed to a 20-man raid due to lack of participation.

1 Like