What Happened To Spell Animations?

I haven’t insulted anyone.

And I did not choose to be negative and unhappy. I want to enjoy the game and think it looks. But I just can’t. :confused:

So I’m making a plea. I don’t want to continue on this wrong path. I want to go into Shadowlands as a Paladin again. I want to have my old spells and their beautiful animations again. I don’t want to have to wait until Wrath of the Lich King Classic for me to be able to cast a good looking Divine Storm again.

I want to look forward. Not live in the past.

Your belief that it cannot be true does not make it any less true. You hate the visuals. Other people like them. That’s how this works.

3 Likes

Hmm… I feel like the new one has some improvements and some drawbacks.

The new animation shows the scale of the effect a lot better. The old animation looks like it’s only going to hit things that are right next to you. The new one makes it clear that it’s got a pretty good radius for the effect.

In general, I like the look of the older animation more… But it does remind me of a swarm of bees more than a storm really. The new animation is pretty boring though. Just some hammers flying around.

I apologize, but I’d sooner believe the person was trolling.

And I’d sooner believe that you are trolling than that no one likes the new visuals.

Your opinion is not law. It’s opinion.

7 Likes

They really gutted paladin animations post-Legion I guess.

In TBC and Wrath, paladins lived up to their images as holy warriors both animation wise and playstyle wise.

Awwwwjeahhh there it is! And the rigid old wings was so awesome too. As well as how fast paladins would move with LAotL. It was seriously scary (or inspiring if they were on your team) how paladins would charge across the field with LAotL, wings popped, Divine Storming. I never played a pally then, as I said, but y’all used to look like god’s chosen back then.

I remember paladins tearing up the battle field man. It’s why I was so pumped to roll one of my very own come BFA. The result was lacking, to say the least.

2 Likes

Sometimes I think back to the days where Shaman could summon giant vibrating cookies and wonder where Blizzard went wrong.

1 Like

Sorry, but it is.

The old version was a mess.

Even you said “simple is better”.

The new one is simple and it looks good.

2 Likes

It’s not that “my opinion is law”, it’s that the animations have objectively gotten worse, and are objectively downgrades in almost every category.

Now, if they took the old animations and improved upon them, that’d be one thing. But they didn’t. They took classic, beautiful RPG animations and replaced them with mobile game animations that aren’t at all similar to the originals.

The best metaphor I can think of to describe the new animations to the old, would probably be Dragon Ball Evolution/The Last Airbender movies.

I am surprised to see that I am not the only person who thinks this.
A big example for me is Destro Lock incinerate. It used to look so flowy and pretty, like real fire but now and around maybe WoD or Legion they changed it to look so cartoony and I just really dislike it. Same goes for Immolate (I think).
I’ve always liked locks and considered maybe maining one, but the spell animations :///
same goes for fire and frost mages. Same problem, less realism too over the top, too cartoony. It doesn’t look like WoW to me either.
I think the only one that was actually upgraded well was arcane. Arcane Barrage is eh but it isn’t too bad.

3 Likes

… yet you’re living in the past saying “the old animations look better!”.

…seriously?

5 Likes

You made me smile. Thank you. :slightly_smiling_face:

No friend. In this case simple is not better.

The simplicity of the new animation combined with the way shorter duration is very inferior if the metric is: Which graphic is better, feels better.

The new one feels more economic, almost as if it’s made to accommodate less visual clutter. Which is a noble goal, but if I wanted less visual clutter, I’d play a warrior, not a holy crusader.

1 Like

as an ele shaman i love the new spell changes really gives us a powerful feeling

plus i love the new wings for pally

1 Like

So we are going to assume that flashier is better? What about charm? Some of the new spells do look terrible. Also have you heard the sounds feral makes? Sounds like a pack of cool cats and kittens playing in a paper bin. Oh but they sound flashier so obviously it’s better right?

3 Likes

I would legit rather no animations occur, or perhaps we just glow yellow for a second, than to actually use our current animations.

1 Like

I dig the new wings. I thought they we’re an homage to valkyr, since humans hailed from vrkyul, and the humans were the first Azerothian Paladins. Check out the similarity between the two, I thought it was a slick nod to the lineage - we transform into valkyr of righteousness. (Draenei should get a Naaru-like Glyph, Blood Knights a Sin’dorei-esque crest, Sunwalkers a sun effect, etc)

1 Like

Exactly. Not even sure where some of these complaints some come from. Just complaints to complain.

2 Likes

even the new glows look kind of weird and cartoony to me, however I know what you mean and I agree.
I remember when Beastial Wrath made you turn blood red entirely and now you are just kind of outlined in neon orange.

2 Likes

There is basically nothing “objective” about art design. Your opinion is certainly not objective. You don’t like it. Other people do. Pretty simple.

4 Likes