What Happened To Spell Animations?

Classic’s spell animations were limp. No force, flavor, or flash.

Their only draw is nostalgic.

18 Likes

I’ve found that I really like the resto shaman animations. For some reason, they look way better than any of the ones I see on other classes/specs.

But that might just be because I’m new to shammies. :grin: Though i do think that resto animations look better than enhance or ele there too.

1 Like

Art is subjective. I like the new spell graphics and animations better than the old.

8 Likes

Yes Winged Vengeance, the four wings, glyph still exists. Thank God. But I seriously feel that the only reason it’s even an option is because it was there before the Avenging Wrath change, and Blizz just hasn’t bothered removing it.

But also no, you can’t at all use the old two wings.

No. This is incorrect. They were simple. And simple is alright. Simple, but good is better than overly animated mobile game style.

I enjoy casting spells and abilities in Classic. Even without a transmog my character looks better in combat than my Retail character. Because at least he’s not pulling a horse put of his butt in the middle of combat for 3 seconds.

I actually like most of the new animations, there are a handful that I don’t, but overall I think they were an improvement.

chaos bolt is an example of one that I think was better before, the dragon-y bolt of chaos was so cool before.

1 Like

I don’t think so. They like flashy just like they like gimmicks. They’re into style over substance, and the style is flashy gimmicks.

^ BINGO

/thread

They went some weird HotS route and I hate it. Warlock fire and shadow spells look like crap to me. It’s like some punk rock garage band street painter dude got a hold of some neon spray paint and splattered it across my screen into green, black and purple dots of confetti.

First time I used this after they changed it… the entire group of people in Stormwind testing their new spells out just turned and stared at me, then laughed. I was actually embarrassed for my character.

1 Like

Seriously. I like that my chaos bolt animation has that big wind up compared to how it used to be.

1 Like

Classic characters are only doing one thing because their simple animation was just that, the singular limp noodle swings.

Retail’s spells are all different, it would look and feel incredibly off if your character just suddenly gained 100% MS and nothing to show for it.

E.g. Death’s Advance. Press button, gain speed. Boring.

2 Likes

I don’t believe you. I don’t believe anyone could honestly, and I mean legitimately, feel that this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4GXjPXGufCo

Was an improvement over this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ScNgv9slJhA

Not sure what you’re going on about OP.
Just sounds like a pile of negativity and unnecessary insults.

8 Likes

There’s nothing wrong with negativity. Modern society’s constant need to be #POSITIVE only leads to willful ignorance and blind acceptance.

2 Likes

I haven’t insulted anyone.

And I did not choose to be negative and unhappy. I want to enjoy the game and think it looks. But I just can’t. :confused:

So I’m making a plea. I don’t want to continue on this wrong path. I want to go into Shadowlands as a Paladin again. I want to have my old spells and their beautiful animations again. I don’t want to have to wait until Wrath of the Lich King Classic for me to be able to cast a good looking Divine Storm again.

I want to look forward. Not live in the past.

Your belief that it cannot be true does not make it any less true. You hate the visuals. Other people like them. That’s how this works.

3 Likes

Hmm… I feel like the new one has some improvements and some drawbacks.

The new animation shows the scale of the effect a lot better. The old animation looks like it’s only going to hit things that are right next to you. The new one makes it clear that it’s got a pretty good radius for the effect.

In general, I like the look of the older animation more… But it does remind me of a swarm of bees more than a storm really. The new animation is pretty boring though. Just some hammers flying around.

I apologize, but I’d sooner believe the person was trolling.

And I’d sooner believe that you are trolling than that no one likes the new visuals.

Your opinion is not law. It’s opinion.

7 Likes

They really gutted paladin animations post-Legion I guess.

In TBC and Wrath, paladins lived up to their images as holy warriors both animation wise and playstyle wise.

Awwwwjeahhh there it is! And the rigid old wings was so awesome too. As well as how fast paladins would move with LAotL. It was seriously scary (or inspiring if they were on your team) how paladins would charge across the field with LAotL, wings popped, Divine Storming. I never played a pally then, as I said, but y’all used to look like god’s chosen back then.

I remember paladins tearing up the battle field man. It’s why I was so pumped to roll one of my very own come BFA. The result was lacking, to say the least.

2 Likes

Sometimes I think back to the days where Shaman could summon giant vibrating cookies and wonder where Blizzard went wrong.

1 Like