What happened to High Elf Mage-Priests

We saw them in the Stratholme caverns of time dungeon. They obviously were a thing at one time. Why dont blood elves still use these. I know being proficient in Arcane AND Light would be difficult and take decades of training, but who else would have the time and patience to do it but long lived Elves.

Infact now that the Sunwell is a source of both Arcane and Light energy, shouldn’t it be easier for there to be Mage-Priests?

2 Likes

Forgotten like most high elves that are not part of the Silver Covenant.

7 Likes

The silver Covenant happened…
A terrible fate indeed…

7 Likes

I assume they are just overlooked given they are a minor thing. I mean, Mage-Priests were only in the WC3 beta, for some reason. So it might be a minor fancy of some developer.

2 Likes

If you get close to the mage-priests in the CoT instance and /say “Happy birthday, little boy,” they make their death noises, do the cowering emote, and then explode into carnage and sparkles.

The lore behind this is kind of weird. According to the High Tinker Mechatorque in his major quest for “medic priests”, as soon as you take on the mage-priest class, a small tumor made out of confetti forms in your pancreas, where it remains–relatively harmless–until a trigger phrase causes it to rapidly metastasize. The result is that the mage-priest will suddenly explode with a POP and a burst of wet bone, tumor and tissue paper.

Apparently the first known instance of this effect was observed at a birthday party in Stormwind, where the mage-priest, Excavatralar Gluteserius, was filling in as a magic act for the big boy’s entertainment. If you look in the mage district next door to the tailoring shop, there’s actually an Easter Egg where you can see the red spot on the floor where he exploded. The children nearby talk about the “weird magician” if you stand on the stain and /say “What son of a snaggamuffin got this here grease-ball on Momma’s freshly waxed wood?!?”

I assume this eventually killed them all off.

1 Like

I mean, the Blood Elves still have priests. They were representing the Warcraft 3 unit, which was Priest. They just used holy abilities other than Dispel Magic.

8 Likes

If you think about it, it makes sense there isn’t any of them. Learning one discipline is hard enough and given how many elves have been killed over the years the practitioners of it are probably all dead with nobody willing to spend a lifetime training to replace them.

Especially when they basically were never a special thing, just an odd naming convention that was apparently a Warcraft 3 alpha term.

4 Likes

We really have no reason to believe they aren’t priests and mages at the same time, or that they weren’t a thing at one time. If some one is called a Mage-Priest, its probably because they are a Mage-Priest.

If they were going for just a priest, they would be called High Elf Priest, which ended up being a unit in Warcraft 3.

1 Like

playable high elves when

3 Likes

Fun fact, Inner Focus is apparently a mage discovered/created spell. So the mere fact priest could use that ability might give them the whole “mage-priest” distinction. In other words, the whole mage-priest thing might just be a special title as oppose to an actually red mage class for WoW.

Knowing how magic and holy are two of the most valued and present forces among the Sin’dorei today I think it is plausible that this still exists

Considering there seems to be a single instance of that designation and it represents what is certainly the Priest unit from the game the scene is recreating, the likely answer was they just gave them a flavorful title. They just use holy spells. They are visually a standard priest.

1 Like

They’re not highlighted because they can’t be represented in a playable form.

They can, Blood Elf Priest. There seems to be no other instance except the Warcraft 3 alpha where the Warcraft 3 Priest unit is called that. Said unit only uses Dispel Magic in addition to holy spells.

well they were with arthas right?

They’re likely all DEAD!

4 Likes

I beg your pardon? Is this real or are you joking?

1 Like

I finally figured it out.

They’ve become the Mind Control Magisters of Silvermoon City. They can teleport like a mage, and mind control like a Shadow Priest.

2 Likes

Imagine a mage-priest class. The POWER.

There’s only Mages now. There’s some High Elf Priests within the Alliance but barely few in numbers unlike they were in Warcraft 3.