What happened to Ganinrad the Bookish?

Was watching some videos on this YT channel when it suddenly dissapeared. Anyone know what happened to this channel?

https://www.reddit.com/r/WoWRolePlay/comments/159cwys/gavinrad_the_bookish/
Apparently ran into some publicity drama?

Deleted all his accounts after allegations started rising of harassment. As far as I know nothing has been confirmed yet

I was talking with some people within the community and He left World of Warcraft and the internet behind to be with his family. That’s pretty much what I got so far.

Thanks for letting me know guys.

I’ve spoken to him. Not gonna violate his privacy but basically, the problem with Moon Guard is not Goldshire, it is the unhinged weirdos who treat playing pretend in WoW way too seriously. The WoW RP community has too many people in positions of fake social status who have zero concept of how reality works outside of their own narrow bubble of self importance. It results in drama at the level of actual middle schoolers. It’s pathetic and embarrassing.

There will never be a positive view of WoW roleplay as long as this behavior is tolerated.

15 Likes

Gaininrad the Lookish.

1 Like

rip in peace

1 Like

I don’t suppose anyone backed up his videos? I was just getting into Roleplay when he disappeared and could use them for reference.

Wyrmrest Accord has the same

I hope he will be able to continue enjoying RP in WoW. Turtle WoW, where I play on, has a decent RP scene. There’s some great Youtube RPers from Turtle WoW too, like Vrograg. I’d hate to see Gavinrad give up on what he loves because of some nerds.

1 Like

What’s strange to me is why bother taking down the videos? For someone trying to bring RP to light for the benefit of all, it seems a little backwards.

3 Likes

Wish the channel was back up. Any update guys?

2 Likes

Unfortunately, if he was getting harassed because of his videos, then taking them down and shutting down the channel is simply one way to make it harder to find and contact him for further harassment.

It’s not all that dissimilar from an artist taking down their gallery on a site like Deviantart or other similar sites and going somewhere else. Shuts down an avenue of contact.

2 Likes

I heard he was inappropriate in RP behind closed doors and such. Don’t know if it is true or not but it is strange to completely delete yourself off the internet without any word.

1 Like

Because there is no information about exactly what happened, all conversation about it is only speculation and might be equally likely. So, you might be right. Also…

If someone was upset with his videos and harassing him for it, they already had his contact info and he would need to change his socials. If he wanted to prevent harassment from future folks, he could just remove his socials from the videos. If he wanted to take his YouTube down, the videos could have been uploaded to a different channel.

If i was being harassed enough for doing something that i just wanted to help people with, I’d probably get mad enough to burn it all, no matter if you were good or not. “Now, no one gets ice-cream.” I might be that petty, so i think he might have been too.

1 Like

I’m not sure which is worse, being blackmailed because of RP innappropriate-ness and going zero dark thirty, or letting some negative vocal minority convince you to torch and burn all your hard work.

3 Likes

This is why he left. Because people in the WoW RP community immediately turn everything into this polarizing black and white dichotomy of two binary options that both represent different over exaggerated extremes of the spectrum.

I cannot speak to if anything weird happened or not, as I either did not know about it or did not hear any details about it. Sucks if it was true.

Just based on the knowledge I’m privy to though, he had a life and good career outside of his channel, and the constant pressure and nitpicking of the persistent, loud, vocal minority of terminally online losers was not worth it. He chose the world outside of WoW RP, which really isn’t a weird decision.

In fact, it’s pretty common. I’m still of the opinion that the “career roleplayers” who make up the common MG/WRA social hierarchies are the primary force driving new and returning players away from roleplay. The insufferable levels of self importance and cliquey behavior are embarrassing and hard to be around.

7 Likes

You are probably right which is really a shame in the long run. Here was a character making good content on the current state of WoW RP and not only did it end abruptly, it was completely deleted. His conclusion is why we speculate. Because the terms of him leaving were so drastic, I think it is natural for people to imagine something drastic preceding the fall.

2 Likes

I remember enjoying his videos when I was looking to better understand some of the lore when I was a newer player. This is a real bummer to hear =/