What happened to Aegwynn?

So I finally got around to reading Chronicles Volume 3 last week, and like the other two, I thoroughly enjoyed it! One question I have, though, is about the fate of Aegwynn. In the book, it says she became a Chamberlain for Jaina Proudmoore in Theramore, and helped Varian regain parts of his memory. She had become old and frail due to the ritual she cast to temporarily bring Medivh back to the physical plane (which I had also been wondering about for years how he came back). After the story involving Varian, though, it doesn’t mention her again, and the next time we see her anywhere, we just encounter an echo of her in the Tomb of Sargeras during Legion. So what happened to her in canon? I know there was some stuff to do with Me’Dan, but he’s out of the story now from my understanding.

1 Like

Because they removed Med’an out of canon, what happened to her is now a mystery. She dies in that story in the efforts against Cho’gall but as all that crap apparently never happened now, it looks like she just vanishes after bringing Medivh back.

3 Likes

Aegwynn sacrificed herself to empower Me’dan so that he could defeat the newly-empowered Cho’gall in the WoW comics.

sigh Med’an wasn’t removed from canon, him being the new guardian was removed.

3 Likes

Weird, I wonder if an eventual Volume 4 will shed any light

Doesn’t the UVG also have her as deceased? Though, I suppose the UVG would still be working off the canonicity of the comics, for that.

Where does he show up in canon? I didn’t read anything about him in Chronicles, and I’m pretty sure I haven’t seen him in game

1 Like

Yeah. He had to go now, his planet needed him.

Med’an is in the WoW comics and has yet to appear in other media like novels and/or games. Per an interview with James Waugh on the Story and Development team by FinalBossTV it was revealed that " By the time of the Legion’s third invasion, Med’an is out adventuring in the universe, doing important things that will one day come to fruition."

Furthermore it was Alex Afrasiabi, who clarified that the character and the events of the comic were still canon, but him being guardian was not.

3 Likes

In the index for one of the Chronicles books, he’s listed as being on page 404. (There is no page 404). Yeah, it’s a joke, but it also kind of puts him in a sort of limbo at the moment.

So … Me’dan is the Captain Marvel of WoW?

2 Likes

If people didn’t like Captain Marvel.

1 Like

Shrug Perhaps.

Okay, I did not know that. That makes sense I suppose, I must have missed that comment from Afrasiabi when I was researching trying to find an answer. Thanks for clarifying

1 Like

Since Chronicles has come to be described as from the Titans Perspective… maybe that just means Medan is being hidden from the Titans for some reason!

The plot thickens…

2 Likes

So… He’s the Captain Marvel of WoW?

3 Likes

I wasn’t aware people didn’t like Captain Marvel.

Didn’t Ian outwright say Medan wasn’t canon a few blizz cons ago during a q&a?

Chronicles Volume 3 implies that Aegwynn died to revive Medivh.

I feel like she is general meh in the fanbase as far as the movies, though I cannot say for sure.

No, pretty sure it is like he said. I remember a lot of people were incorrectly saying he was non canon. And in at least the specific interview he made it clear they only made being Guardian non canon.

From his wowpedia.org article.
https://wow.gamepedia.com/Med’an#Canonicity
Med’an as well as the comic series are canon, however his being the Guardian isn’t anymore.[4]

At BlizzCon 2016, Alex Afrasiabi stated: " Certain fiction exists outside the World of Warcraft that we love, but is it necessarily what we would consider canon? So Med’an as Guardian, isn’t considered canon in Warcraft lore, which is why in the last five years you haven’t seen a reference to him. Um, so, that doesn’t mean that there can’t be a story for Med’an, it’s just not like it was laid out in the comics. "[3] Afrasiabi later clarified that the character himself and the comic series are still canon, but him being Guardian isn’t.[4]

As such, it seems that for the most part the events of the comic still happened, just without Med’an being the Guardian. Med’an not being a Guardian may have been indirectly referenced in Khadgar’s episode of Harbingers , in which Khadgar states that after Medivh’s death, it was decided that none could resist the temptation of the Guardian’s powers.

4 Likes