What decides if you get crew captain cause I never get it

I’m level 30, ive played a decent amount of games. I have got maybe crew captain 3 times total which is crazy, I can go a whole night of playing with never getting it. So often my crew captain is a new player or lower level which is fine we are all new to the game but I get dropped in horrible spots so often where I will start behind the curve in levels, sometimes not even getting a kill on landing and it’s starting to drive me crazy. Why don’t I get crew captain??? Does anybody else have this problem?

Yeah only thing I can think of is alphabetical account name. I play duos with my wife, done at least 50-60 matches with her. I have ONLY piloted ONCE. Her account name starts with B, mine with U. Doesn’t matter who invites who.

It’s who loads into the lobby fastest.

Per Blizzard, there is a bug right now that whichever Duo partner drives first will drive every match. They fixed the bug, but it won’t go in until servers are restarted on Tuesday. The intention is for group leader to drive, but group leader does not appear to be the person with the crown by their name on the character screen but rather whoever loaded into the pre-match lobby first.

If you’re playing with the same person, just disband and reform the group until the person you want has the check mark and lead. At least that worked for me.

i havent had any luck with that method
no matter what im lead

which is odd because im playing on an ipad’s 2nd cousin and my friend has a gaming rig, so theoretically she should surely load in faster at least once