What books do you like?

I like different genre’s. My favorite are mystery books with a good story.

2 Likes

I love Mystery and Thriller.
I think everyone likes mystery whether they know it or not.
There is no better feeling than reading a book, or watching a film that has you sitting there thinking to your self “Who would have done this?” or “Why was this here when this was here” Blah blah. You get it.

2 Likes

I recently read the dagger and coin series by Daniel Abraham (first book is called the dragons path) defiantly worth a read.

1 Like

I like reading medical books - yeah, I know I’m a weirdo and I’m proud of if :wink:

1 Like

I read all types and genres of books. I have to say though im reading something right now i thought i would never touch with a 10 foot pole.

I am on the second book of the Chronicles of The One , set. The first was Year One, and this is book 2 , Of Blood and Bone. And though i grit my teeth to admit reading a Nora Roberts series, its been a fantastic story.:open_mouth: Nothing like her previous stuff, which i couldnt read if you paid me.

I generally like high fantasy, and adventure, science fiction, thrillers, and some horror. But im surprised by this series of hers its a blend of most of the above and done really well. I recommend it if you like a good mix of magic , some horror and post apocalyptic worlds, all with the drama of the human condition.

Oh if you do read it, make sure and read them in order. You have to read Year One first. It sets the story.

2 Likes

Mistborn was incredible. That’s how I ended up reading everything Sanderson ever wrote.

Wizard’s First Rule was very good - the trilogy was good. Then he pulled a Jordon and kept adding more books. Robert Jordon’s trilogy was excellent too…I got bored around book 7. Both of these two series started to sound the same, similar antagonists, similar settings.

Shanara stories…I read, can’t remember. Not memorable is my gauge of a meh book. I read all the Game of Thrones - back in actual book form…5 gigantic thick books (I love huge books) and there were a lot A LOT of words, people died halfway thru the book, the author rambled on and on and I have no idea what the plot was or any characters. Can’t remember the story at all - and that’s terrible. Those kinds of impressions made me totally avoid the TV version. The author is lousy in my eyes.

If you like fantasy/sword&sorcery, read the Symphony of the Ages - Rhapsody by Elizabeth Hayden. The imagery, the humor is world class. It’s the only trilogy that I re-bought for my Kindle in case the original gets lost. It’s that good.

1 Like

This is probably ironic coming from someone named Tovi but I recommend not reading the Sword of Truth series. They’re terrible books.

Shannara series is a LOTR clone. Just replace the Ring of Power with rocks.

3 Likes

I just listen to books now on my way to work, I was really into the Malazan series until about the 5th or 6th book the narrator changed…ruined it for me.
Necroscope! I forgot all about that, I read a bunch of them when I was a kid…I gotta check audible for that now.

2 Likes

They changed the narrator and it killed it for me.

2 Likes

The reader’s Kruppe for the first 3 books was hilarious to me!

2 Likes

Thanks. I will check it out. Have been looking for a good fantasy series to start

1 Like

Literature I can sink my brain-teeth into.

1 Like

Current guilty pleasure? My campus’ used book shop has the old Star Trek: The Next Generation books, 1-58, for $2 a piece. They’re barely a half step above trash fanfiction, but they’re entertaining and I can read them during dead spots at work without minding putting it down to help customers.

1 Like

Neuromancer, by William Gibson (or pretty much anything by William Gibson.)

I picked it up in 1985, in a Walden’sBooks (LOLS, REMEMBER THOSE?) It was written in 1984. It blew my mind.

Read it today, I dare you:

You’ll think he used a time machine. The stuff he has in the book is either things that are happening, could happen, or are definitely going to happen based upon what we are seeing today.

His later books follow that trend, with people basically “jacking in” to massively multiplayer games and such (we are not there yet, but about as close as you can get without doing it literally.)

The weird thing is:

It, nor his other fantastic books (Idoru, etc.) have never actually been made into good movies.

Then Lord of the Rings, by Tolkien, of course. I read that for the first time over the summer, when I was 12 years old (52 now.) I could not put the thing down. At the time I imagined how fantastic it would be as a movie, it only took until I was nearly in my 40’s for the tech to exist (or be created) to do it right.

2 Likes

I have to get onboard this Forgotten Realms train! I just looked through google and these seem really neat. Thanks for posting!

All King books? Impressive!
I love to read. King, Murakami, Asimov, Shakespeare, are my top favorite authors.

My favorite book is, The Neverending Story. It is an imaginative masterpiece for kids and adults alike. Made me kind of sad to finish it. I recommend it to everyone who needs a little fantasy in their life.

Tied for second place:
The Shining, (super scary).
Hard Boiled Wonderland and The End of the World, (Bizarre from start to finish, really).
Macbeth (A fantastic story of one man’s unrelenting descent into darkness.)
Fahrenheit 451, (the reason I hoard books).
The Hitchiker’s Guide to The Galaxy, (Super fun series.)

I also recommend Jaws and The Gods Themselves.

1 Like

Your Dark Iron Dwarf looks like a Jamaican surfer. Just sayin’.

On the other hand I am a fan of a couple books such as:
Silverwing novels. It’s about a bunch of heroic bats that save the world from an evil bat god, Cama-zots. It’s like watership down but with bats.
Expedition. It is a sci-fi book by Wayne Douglas Barlowe were it has a environmental theme of preserving nature and going to outer space to discover new life. It is set in 800 years into the future where Earth is ravaged by pollution and overpopulation of Humans. A good race of Aliens, the Yma decides to help mankind recover the good health of their planet by sending them into interstellar expeditions to show them the nature of life in other planets. They came across a planet they named “Darwin IV” where they discover a vast array of alien species that are even “alien” to every other known extraterrestrial race in the galaxy. The aliens in Darwin IV has no eyes, mouth, and have weird plays of moving and flying. Instead of eyesight they have echo location, they have arrow tipped tongues that spit acid to suck their food dry like how flies eat. And the book has amazing artwork that can catch your breath away and inspire some awe and wonder with Barlowe’s wild imaginations.

Anything from Jane Austin.

Alexander Pushkin is good.

I hear George R. R. Martin is good :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes