What books do you like?

Ive read about all the dragon lance and a lot of the forgotten realms books. Also different genre, but Ive read all stephen kings books. What some other good recomendations?

Edit: Thanks for all the great suggestions. Ive got a couple notebook pages worth of books to check out now and a few I just ordered.

4 Likes

Wow, you must be 100-years old.

5 Likes

Nah hes only got about 70 something I think lol.

I love the Forgotten Realms Books Especially the Drizzt books.

I like a modern series as well. The Anita Blake Vampire Hunter Series, by Laurell K. Hamilton. I don’t care as much for her other books, but she did contribute to Ravenloft.

If you like horror, check out Clive Barker. If you haven’t read them all already as they have been out awhile. His books are really good, better then the movies.

You said you read all of Forgotten Realms, so you most likely read the Mask Series by Paul S. Kemp, but have you checked out his Star Wars Books? Good stuff if you like Star Wars.

4 Likes

Not big into the scifi genre. I do like phillip k. dick, ray bradbury, Isaac asimov, etc. I havnt read all the forgotten realms. I have read a lot of them. All the drizzt and cantabury ones. The drizzt spin offs about jax. All of them about eliminster. The mask sounds familiar I cant place it. I havnt read any modern books except when stephen king releases a new one. I do like the horror genre. I havent read anything by clive barker but that name does sound familiar.

1 Like

Was never a big fiction book reader, but my favorite series was Dune.

2 Likes

The Bible is my favorite to read.

7 Likes

Ive read it already. The ending was terrible.

6 Likes

There are so many books I’ve read… it’s scary. I was so grateful for ebooks because my home was running out of room for more books. Are you interested in fun books for a quick read or more serious literature?

:cookie:

3 Likes

Yeah you should see my home library lol couple weeks ago I donated a lot of books to free up space. Ill read about anything. Really just depends on the mood im in when im looking for a new book to read.

Edit: also I cant read ebooks. They give me a headache for some reason.

The works of J.R.R. Tolkien, who gave us the genre’, Anne McCaffrey, who gave us dragons, and ALL The Old Norse books i.e., the Eddas, Heimskringla, etc., which helps give us, and preserves, the words of ODHINN that have been passed down.

4 Likes

I have read the hobbit. I probably would have given lotr a try but peter jackson ruined it for me. Maybe some day though.

Edit havent read any norse mythology, I have read a lot of greek and roman though.

1 Like

Do mangas count? Myheroacademia

3 Likes

You like comics? Kingdom Come is a fantastic one. MiracleMan is awesome, but pretty god damn weird. I’m also now reading Moon Knight. That’s pretty cool.

1 Like

Sure. Ive read some comic books. I would also like to read the walking dead ones, but Im gonna wait til the show gets canceled.

If graphic novels count I recommend the Sandman series highly. Has a lot of crazy trippy high fantasy stuff. Excellent storytelling and lore.

It’s not fantasy but Grant Morrison’s run on Batman is probably the best the character has ever been. It leads into Final Crisis, also by Morrison, which is also fantastic.

3 Likes

Happily, the movies(much as I diss them, being a purist) do keep a lot of the spirit and style. There are some differences yes and, imho, only one glaring one.

to conclude; yes, wait a bit then read. You’ll be glad you did.
He also had other works, as well.
Have fun.

2 Likes

Before this thread gets moved to Off Topic…

Try “The Blade Itself” by Joe Abercrombie. He rather inverts the typical fantasy tropes in a gritty fashion. Excellent series.

If you prefer more straightforward fantasy there is “The Kings Blades” series by Dave Duncan

I strongly suggest you give Tolkien another try. But then I’m one of the few people that rereads the Silmarillion.

Last of all, I cannot strongly enough suggest Roger Zelazny’s “Nine Princes in Amber” series. All of his books are great fantasies in the tradition of fantastic things occur, not elves and magic.
Doorways in the Sand
Creatures of Light and Darkness
Devlish the Damned
A Night in the Lonesome October
Lord of Light
Bring me the Head of Prince Charming
Jack of Shadows

Seriously, Zelazny is my favorite author.

4 Likes

^ Neil Gaiman is great! I would double this recommendation! I got to meet him at a con and he just an awesome person!

3 Likes

Personally I like the Hobbit more the LotR. LotR feels kinda formulaic after a point. Over hill, over dale, fight, talk about it. Over hill, over dale, fight, talk about it, etc. Not bad by any means.

Neil Gaiman’s Norse Mythology is a good place for that. There’s even an audiobook. Also American Gods is a really great book. It’s not strictly fantasy but it deals with gods as the title implies so there’s lots of magic.

1 Like