What are you listening to now? V5

1 Like
1 Like
1 Like
1 Like
1 Like
1 Like

I figured I would do this post someday, as I have talked about these songs before in various threads. When this tune came up on random today, I thought it was time!

Sampling, electronic music, and electronic music production fascinate me so much; they are literally the only current art form where people build directly on past art. Movies may copy other movies, and paintings may copy other paintings, but no one has ever tried making a movie or a painting using actual pieces of previous movies or paintings. Anyway, I digress…

Listen along with me? Impact is best if you check out each track in it’s entirety unless noted (so you can recognize sounds and loops.)

We are starting off in 1899, with Elgar’s Enigma Variations, Op. 36, an asbsolutely stunning and beautiful passage of music:

Then, to 1918 with Gustav Holst’s “Jupiter, The Bringer of Jollity”. For this one, only about the first 30 seconds are relevant, but it’s still an awesome piece of music.

Fast-forward 55 years now, we’re gonna check out Skull Snaps’ “It’s a New Day”, which has been sampled in over 500 songs since its release in 1973. An absolute funk classic - you may recognize the drums because they’ve been sampled by everyone from Linkin Park to the Pharcyde to Kanye West.

Jump a couple years to 1981. UFO’s ESG. Again, sampled in over 500 songs since release - Prodigy, Beastie Boys, 2pac, Miles freaking Davis. A proper legend and classic track. That iconic droning sound, the funky breakbeats, the psychedelic vibe… check it out:

This is another one where only the first few seconds are really applicable to this post, but still a dope track in its entirety. This is Intelligent Hoodlum’s “Arrest the President” from 1990:

Uh-oh. Here we go, it’s sample Inception. Of course, James Brown is in here somewhere. Yep, the Intelligent Hoodlum track contains drums from James Brown’s “Soul Pride”. I’ve timestamped this one so you can hear just the drum loop being discussed:

==
(Note: This list should also include Loleatta Holloway’s "Set Me Free (R&B Mix) from 1991, but it’s not on YouTube, and the sample contained within is tiny and hard to notice.)

So, here’s the reveal, Rob Dougan’s Clubbed to Death (Kurayamino Variation) from 1995, made massively popular by The Matrix. The combination of these elements, and the resulting music being greater than the sum of its parts… this is amazing stuff to me.

Thanks for listening! :sunglasses::sunglasses:

4 Likes
1 Like
1 Like
1 Like

My fav sword swinging music :smiley:

1 Like

:heart:

1 Like

I know the pieces fit 'cause I watched them tumble down.

1 Like
2 Likes
2 Likes
1 Like
1 Like
1 Like

/giggle
/dance

“Sorry, can’t post full vids yet. Working on it.”
/smile

2 Likes

Trap Them - Flesh and Below