What are you listening to now? V5 (Part 1)

2 Likes

/dances off to sleep

3 Likes

Raistmajere’s Marshall Tucker post has me thinking about those great ‘country rock’ bands I discovered while in college in the 70s. Not just the jams but some of the really pretty songs a number of these lads did.

3 Likes

Marshall Tucker was one of those bands my dad and I both like. He was heavy into Hank Williams Sr. music so it wasn’t always easy to find common ground. I especially like how you’ve posted a couple of CDB songs without resorting to The Devil Went Down to Georgia. I have Carolina Dreams on vinyl. Some country and southern rock.

4 Likes

PJ Harvey - B-Sides, Demos & Rarities is SO GOOD!

2 Likes
2 Likes

“This song to the Hurrian goddess Nikkal, is the oldest piece of music for which we have both the words and the accompanying musical notes. The work was written on clay tablets around 3500 years ago, and was discovered by archaeologists in the 1950’s in the ruins of the ancient city of Ugarit.”
This is the link to that quote with the vocals as well. I think you won this round of oldest song. It’s a prayer.

2 Likes

“No, you win. A Musical Prayer is still a Song. And that is a truly beautiful song. I would love to be able to read a translation of the words.”

1 Like

It’s the same song Dirona posted, just with the vocals.
~https://genius.com/Hurrian-hurrian-hymn-to-nikkal-lyrics
(I still can’t post links directly)
[Rough translation of the hymn]

“(Once I have) endeared (the deity), she will love me in her heart
The offer I bring may wholly cover my sin
Bringing sesame oil may work on my behalf in awe may I…
The sterile may they make fertile
Grain may they bring forth
She, the wife, will bear (children) to the father
May she who has not yet borne children bear them”

1 Like

“Very interesting. A Spring Fertility Prayer.”

1 Like

Grain and babies, staples of a growing society.

1 Like

“It’s also interesting, that out of ALL the sung prayers, that were made, back then, THIS is the one to survive. A Prayer for life to continue.”
/smile

1 Like

A little bit Country, a little bit Rock & Roll

And a whole lot of Rock & Roll

2 Likes
4 Likes

Remake of this wave 1 ska song. Good case of where sex of the singer changes the interpretation.

2 Likes

i got in big trouble today they caught me lisaning to this at the argent dawn base camp

2 Likes

My rap collection was severely curtailed to suit playing it at work. People even have complained, where’s Eminem but he doesn’t have anything work appropriate. I think I have one clean CD, Puddle of Mudd’s Come Clean which I accidentally bought at a yard sale.

2 Likes

I heard this one this morning, and I could barely suppress my inner evil genius for the rest of the day.

Maybe it can do the same for you!

Masquerade Suite - Waltz, by Aram Khachaturian

2 Likes

Along the same lines.

2 Likes

…ok, maybe not that different.

Dance of the Knights, by Sergei Prokofiev (the good part)

2 Likes